Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) BSA Martini in 223. (Read 2072 times)
Nero
Oldtimer

BSA Martini in 223.
Feb 20th, 2022 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Great day at the range yesterday.
24 degrees Celsius, hot sun with a bit of welcome cloud cover now and then and no wind.
Just thought some of you snowed in guys would like to know.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Re: BSA Martini in 223.
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2022 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Go ahead, rub it in. Sad

Nice rifle, but how did it shoot!?

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2022 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Is it finicky with a rimless case?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2022 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Nero is the case rimmed or is it actually rimless?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2022 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Well my post had vanished when I went to look for it and only found it again by going into my last five posts.
Best five shot group at a hundred metres one inch using 23 grains ADI  Bench Mark 2 and and a 54 grain home made bullet using a R/F case shortened a bit and a lead tip and a concave base to help smooth out the rim and also move the lead more to the front of the bullet to help form the ogive. 
One in twelve twist.
Standard 223 rimless case and a leupold fixed 6 power scope.
Some of my BSA Martini's eject ok but this one only about a quarter of an inch and you have to use a finger nail under the rim to pull it out.

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2022 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Nero
What extractor did you use for your 223?
I've used the Snapp rimless extractor in the Cadet, for both the 222 and 223. It works very well if properly adjusted.
The only thing that I didn't like about the Cadet in 223 was the very loud muzzle blast. In that respect the 22 Hornet was much better.
Otto

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2022 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
My post has still vanished for me but obviously not for other people.
Photo enclosed of the extractor.
The one on the right is the 223 mentioned and the other two are for a 222.
I think I remember my local gunsmith saying he had made them himself.
My other 223 extractor is the same or similar and the barrel has a 1 in 8 twist which I used to shoot at 300 metres with 63 grain bullets.
My first Martini 222 of thirty to forty years ago was a rimmed case with a tight chamber and when the accuracy dropped off I had it re-barreled for a rimless case and new wood as with other calibres of an obscure or hard to get calibres I have fought shy of since then.
This first 222 which got me interested in Martini's came with some loaded rounds which when I pulled the bullets from as I have never shot enybody else's loaded ammunition unless I know and trust them I found the bullets swaged down from the case neck and when I asked the guy I bought it from who worked in a gun shop how come, he said as they wouldn't chamber he had run them through the full length sizing die again.

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2022 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Nero
Below is a photo of Bob Snapp's rimless extractor. It looks very similar to the extractors used in your rifles.
The Snapp extractor is straight at the rear, to engage the rimless groove and then slightly tapers toward the front, so as not to obstruct the cartridge, as it is extracted.it's also spring loaded to slip easily into the rimless groove.
Otto

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
I have four rimless extractors and each one is similar style but all four are slightly differently made.
On your photo for just one instance you can see the spring where as on all of mine you cannot.

IP Logged

Dino in Reno 2

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2022 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Nice rifle! What game will it be for? 
I love the little Martini actions, here are the ones made for my wife and I. Hers ins in .223 (with scope), mine is in .357 Maximum.

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2022 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Hi Dino, 
like you I also like Leupold fixed power scopes to make it easier loading and unloading
The new photo shows my 7mm Waters which I used to use with the open sights but found I was struggling a bit so put on this Waffen-Frakonia Wurzburg and to show off my very limited German there should be an Umlaut over the first u but haven't got one on my computer, its a 2½ power which I bought on Ebay from Germany. Came with the chunky looking rings and mounts as well. 
Just use my rifles nowadays to punch holes in paper as I find it a long walk these days to even retrieve my targets at 200 metres. 
It has an octagonal barrel and the rear open sight is on the front of the scope rib I had put on the rifle is case I wanted to put a scope on it.
My personal opinion is that all rifles to be used for hunting should have open sights as well as a scope after learning the hard way.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2022 at 8:47pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

Dino in Reno 2

Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2022 at 5:02am
Print Post  
Nero, Beautiful rifle! The wood flows with the shape. Your German scope give it a nice Continental look.
look.  Leupold scopes are light, tough and Reno is close to them if repair is needed. 7mm Waters is what Mr. Robert Snapp (the Snapp rimless extractor) used for his personal hunting rifle.
When I find a complete Cadet/small action that is what i want to do  Smiley
I am going to have the sided of the scoped .223re-surfaced and have my late wife's initials and light border engraving done. She loved that little rifle. My .375 Max has a 22" barrel that is in the heavy side in anticipation of 190 to 200+ grn bullets at 1800 to 2000 fps.
If the world, my health, and funding allows, yours is a country I want to hunt in.
Good health to you!

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2022 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Hi Dino,
for hunting in New Zealand click on this site for the national site of the NZDA which shows all the branches and anything you might want to know about hunting in NZ.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Regards.

IP Logged

RustyReel
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2023 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Old thread I know, but I'm just getting into Martini rifles and I really like the looks of your 7mm Waters.   

Nice!!  and thanks for posting them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint