Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Remington 8x58RD Roller... (Read 1618 times)
RollerGuy
Participating Member

Remington 8x58RD Roller...
Jan 6th, 2022 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
This Remington Rolling Block is a recent acquisition and is in near perfect condition. While I wish it could be kept in original condition as a shooter, that just can't happen. What is going to happen, is the rifle will be sent to a roller-smith here in the state and be re-barreled to .357 Maximum. I can hear the groans now, but the Max is a great shooter with lead bullets, and the pressure can easily be kept within safe limits for the old Remington action. 

Now, I have a question... the rifle has all matching serial numbers, but on the right side of the breech part of the barrel there is the number 3195/96, which is not the serial number, and on the right side of the butt stock is stamped the number 1896. I'm pretty sure the 33 1/8" barrel is original to the action. So, the question is... was the rifle made in 1896?

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Remington 8x58RD Roller...
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Or is that when they were reworked for the 8x58RD? What do you have against the 8x58RD that makes you want to change it?

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jan 6th, 2022 at 3:59pm:
Or is that when they were reworked for the 8x58RD? What do you have against the 8x58RD that makes you want to change it?

I do believe the /96 indicates the "rework/conversion" date, not the date of mfg.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Your 1867 Swedish Rolling Block had a new 8x58R barrel installed in 1896. The 1896 upgrade included case hardening the old receiver, replacing original 12.17 mm barrel with a new 8x58R barrel, installing new rolling block and hammer, removing the straight extractor and installing a circular extractor. They used the original wood.

The screw holding the straight extractor has been plugged on the top of the left side of the receiver and a lower screw left of center holds the new circular extractor.

Picture of my Swedish 8x58 R Rolling Block with a 1867 receiver (made by Remington). Year following 1867 Sweden made their own receivers which were also upgraded in 1895 or 1896. Many were stored in warehouses and never used after the conversion and subsequently sold as Sporters (with shortened forearm) since the Military had adopted the 6.5x55mm Swede 1896 Mauser.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2022 at 10:48am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 1:04am
Print Post  
8x58 R cases made from .45-90 cases

IP Logged

freebird

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 2:24am
Print Post  
96 is indeed the date of conversion, and the resulting military model was called 1867/89; 1889 being the year they started the conversions to the new caliber.

My military version was converted in 1894 from an 1870 made 1867 model.
And the 33 1/8 barrel is the original length of the converted barrel (with an added ramp front sight)

IP Logged

RollerGuy
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses... I guess you guys now know I'm not really a "rollerguy," but I'm working on it. When I was looking for a name to use on the forum that one worked, and I went for it. Interestingly, my first pick for a name was "oneatatime" - well, "oneatatime" you know how that went. 

All of you concurred that the date is a re-fit date and not a manufacturing date. Special thanks to Schuetzendave for all the pics... his rifle and mine appear to be the same. I did wonder about that filled hole on the upper portion of the frame. 

Now for oneatatime's question... "what do I have against the 8x58?" Nothing against the cartridge, it's just that I have no knowledge about it, and my background with the Max weighs heavy in favor of it. 

I think that a modern steel barrel with a heavier wall at the breech is a good idea. And I also think a straight wall case is a good idea. Plus, I have on hand the dies and 400 cases for the Max. At one time I had two pistol barrels and a rifle barrel for my Contender, and I shot them a lot over quite a few years. I wish I still had those barrels. I also had a Martini Cadet in the Max. 

As you can tell I'm going with the Max, but I think I will have the barrel marked as the Ballard XL, as it and the Max are very close in dimensions, and maybe that will keep someone from sticking a factory Max in it sometime down the road.   

Thank you guys again.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Sounds good. Save the barrel, someone else might want it.

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Mine is pretty much identical to Schuetzen Dave's. I form brass from PPU 8x56R Hungarian.

IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2022 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Why not just sell off the swede and put the cash towards a .357 Italian repro? Seems a lot less hassle than re-barreling the swede. And you may have cash to spare after all is said and done. I'm sure it would be easy to find a buyer on here. Just my $.02

IP Logged

RollerGuy
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Gunfunpow...
I went through all the possibilities I could think of, like buying a new repro, right on up to and including, not buying anything at all, before I bought the Remington. Once I got it in my hands and played with it over the course of a few days, it's future was decided. The workmanship is excellent. The project turned into being about getting a 150 year old rifle back into action with a suitable cartridge. 

The 357 Max and the 38 Ballard XL are so close in dimensions they are virtually the same. Consider the finished Rem a Ballard and not a Max. The finished rifle should look the same as it does now, except for a shorter barrel and the addition of a vintage scope. 

Thanks for your response. Cool

IP Logged

RustyReel
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2023 at 4:56am
Print Post  
I use the 8x56R brass from PPU as well.  Pretty easy to fireform, comes up a little short but works fine in the single shot.  "Real" dies are pricey but I simply neck size and seat with lee 8mm lebel dies.  I have a couple of these Swedes and simply keep the brass seperated.

I thought about a rebore or rechamber early on but couldn't seem to find anything that would clean up the chamber without setting the barrel back.  If I was going to go to that expense I would have rebarreled.  Both of mine are still in 8x58Rd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint