Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tang aperture dia (Read 3578 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Tang aperture dia
Reply #15 - Nov 30th, 2021 at 10:42am
Print Post  
For my uses it's not just the aperture size, but the the mass of the threaded hole it goes into. For typical Lyman or Marbles type tang sights, when the aperture is removed the ghost ring left is so thin it almost disappears, leaving so little material that I have a tough time centering the front sight. 
But for the vast majority of high quality vernier tang sights when removing the aperture it leaves a large mass, and works much better.
Of equal importance when I use them for hunting is the type of front sight insert. I use my target type globe sights, but instead of a peep insert in front, I switch to a post insert for hunting. Trying to shoot game with a front peep insert is impossible for me.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2021 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
My only success with aperture front sights away from bullseye venues was when shooting smallbore silhouette, and then only when the targets stood out from their backgrounds.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2021 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
I have had very good success with aperture front sights for long range shooting, whether it's targets with bullseyes, or dinger plates. When you're trying to hold a post in a 6 o'clock hold on a target that's smaller than the width of your front post at long distance, a little bit off in any direction usually results in a miss. The aperture front globe insert allows me to center the target inside the aperture much easier than the post will.
At under 500 yds. either works for me, as it's much easier for my eyes to determine if I'm centered or not.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 3:27am
Print Post  
My iron sights are all from MVA.  I just spend the extra few shekels and get the Montana Magnum disc.  IIRC, there are eleven different sizes to choose from.

Rich

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
The Hadley design is useful for target work, or as a tool to determine your best aperture diameter, but from my experience a large disc obliterates too much for use in hunting.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Dec 23rd, 2021 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Hunting or shooting fast targets you can’t go too big. Other day had 5 8inch plates set up for 3 shooters .Two mid 70s little experience & 14 year old who can shoot.  10 yards timed with several pistols. As many shots as they wanted to shoot stopped the watch after the last plate was hit. It’s not bullseye shooting is very much like live game.

Back to 20 yards with a Marlin Texan 30/30 carbine 1400 FPS lead bullet largest posable aperture in a Williams receiver sight, gold bead front. Hit rates much higher and way faster than the partridge sight pistols. Even old inexperienced eyes can pick the spot and hit with good open rear disk. 

Few sights faster with plenty of precession than a big Aperture . Have to go to a low power scope to improve.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint