Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Elk with a Sharps (Read 2033 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Elk with a Sharps
Oct 4th, 2021 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
My hunting partner has been applying for 18 years for an elk hunt in California and finally got picked as an alternate this season at the Grizzly Island Wildlife Area for the last period cow elk hunt.  He chose to hunt with a Farmington Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 that his father purchased many years ago but sadly was never able to hunt with it.  When I started packing my Stevens 44 1/2 to Wyoming for deer he decided to do the same and we had several successful hunts with his Sharps and my Borchardt, Stevens and Rolling Blocks.  Since he still hunts in California he has to use non-lead so has always hunted with Barnes bullets.  This shot was at 110 yards with a single shot to the lungs.

Twitter  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: Elk with a Sharps
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Here is a picture of the two of us several years ago hunting deer in Wyoming.  I am packing a Rolling Block in 38-56.

Twitter  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Good eating for sure. 
Here is a nice Ca. Elk shot in the San Luis Reservoir area. Daughter works at an Elementary School and one of the Teachers Husband's shot it two years ago. 

[url=https://postimages.org/] (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2021 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
That's a great picture Tom, and very happy for your hunting partner to not only draw the tag, but fill it too! Please pass on my congratulations to him on a successful hunt!
I bet his dad was smiling down when that happened too!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

degoins

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Nice!!! And done the right way.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Jlouis      Small world!! My brother hunted with the fellow the day prior to his shooting that nice bull. They had permission to hunt on a private ranch, but saw the bull on an adjacent ranch, so the hunter returned the following day and it was where he could shoot it. My brother was just along for the ride as he is familiar with a lot of the country to be hunted. They both hunt deer on the same ranch farther north.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Small world indeed my cousin raises beef in the San Luis Dam area and there are allot of Elk on that particular ranch. He used to lease a place allot further north at the end of Bird Rd. off of HiWay 132 and there were also quite few Elk up there. They were not fence jumpers but would rather go through a fence and they actually became big pests. There were quite a few times when his cattle would end up on somebody elses place the there's on his. The Ranchers in the area were eventually given Elk Tags that they could sell to help pay for the damages. They were getting $10,000.00 for an Elk Tag and the Hunters had the rights to hunt on there land. I used to help him gather cattle during those times and the amount of wild pigs up there was also a big problem when it came to fence damages. Long story short the Department Of Fish And Game has done an outstanding job of restoring the Tule Elk Herds here in California and are now found all along the Coastal Range.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint