Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Opinions on "choked" barrels? (Read 7130 times)
ScrapMetal

Opinions on "choked" barrels?
Nov 18th, 2021 at 1:49am
Print Post  
I'm planning to get a BRC barrel in .40-70SS for a Remington Hepburn I'm building from castings.  The only thing I need to decide at this point is if it is worth it to go with a "choked" barrel.

Are there legitimate reasons for one, and advantages/disadvantages or is it just the latest "greatest thing"/fad?

Thanks,

-Ron

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Opinions on "choked" barrels?
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 8:55am
Print Post  
It is not really a fade Pope, Darr and RKS have all made choked barrels and there may be more I am not aware of.  
I personally would consider it to be an advantage.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Alexander Henry’s barrels were noted for their accuracy in the 19th century and he choked them. My two new barrels for my 44 1/2 are BRC choked (25-35 and 32-20) and will be ready to be tested in a few days. Looking forward to it. My gunsmith remarked on their smoothness.

IP Logged

ScrapMetal

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 4:11am
Print Post  
Thanks much for the insights guys I'll definitely give the choked barrel a try when I put in my order to BRC.

Now that has been decided I'd like to understand it a bit better. In my head I can see where that might increase the velocity of the bullet but what is the reason/theory as to why the choked barrels are more accurate?   

Thanks again,

-Ron

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 6:38am
Print Post  
Many Anschutz Rimfire barrels are choked. Think the Determining factor is weight allowed class the rifle is being built for. Heavy smallbore prone and position match barrels are almost all choked.

I believe can’t say sure they choke by leaving a larger outside Diameter on the blank when button rifled. Two most accurate Rimfire rifles I have owned are Anschutz super match and Douglas barreled CPA. Anschutz was choked the CPA not.

Can’t explain how it works though 

Boats 

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Question; what makes a choked barrel choked? Lapping, constricting, and others enter the mind but curious as to what method is currently in vogue.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 11:26am
Print Post  
I firmly believe that a straight hole at the beginning is one of the important issues 
for a good shooting rifle. I am not sure of the benefit of choking but I suspect that 
folks that do choked barrels are just those types of Craftsmen that take the time to get a straight hole make the best Barrels. The Bullet is in constant fit all the way thru the barrel, no opportunity to spring or relax on its way. Just my thought on the subject, HTH FITZ OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Nov 19th, 2021 at 9:36am:
The point is I figured out a way to choke the muzzle end of a barrel at a price most shooters can afford. My original plan was to get 4" of choke, around .005". I went with around .004 for RF. BRC is using my original drawing. I did choke a barrel 5 1/2" and got excellent results. The targets 22RF shot on brcbarrels.com was shot with 3 1/2" choke. I shot the same loads in choked barrels as with standard Douglas barrels with no change in recoil. I try to use the KISS method in shooting. It's the mental part that's hard for OH. I think the choke on muzzle end of a barrel puts the bullet to sleep which in turn helps stabilizes it in flight. 
Thanks for all the positive posts.
Ken

Now, the point is are you or are not willing to enlighten use as to your method of ‘choking’ the barrel. So far all I see is snake oil promotionals.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2021 at 12:12pm by Premod70 »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
If I was BRC would not divulge the method either. Barrels  a competitive business & one vs the other much promoted on this site, I believe to shooters advantage . 

Choke has been the method used by large manufacturers with methods not generally available to small shops. If they have figured  it out more power to BRC

Off topic a bit shotgun shooters believe strongly little bit of choke patterns more consistent than cylinder barrels. Rarely see a competitive skeet shooter using cylinder bore.

Boats

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
rafter, is the choke you mention correct?   Should it be .0005 rather than .005.  I believe it was Clay that  told me the choke was tenths not thousands.  A 32 choked barrel I have takes the same size gauge pin on both ends, using thousands pins not ten thousands.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Believe rafter3c has explained how to choke a button rifled barrel, makes sense and ingenious.
How was it done on a cut barrel? Lapping, yes, but think a uniform taper is the natural result of using a square bit reamer.
This was used by Pope and many others. The wood backing wears slightly and uniformly from breech to muzzle.
My experience is this works fine for muzzle loaders but too much choke for breech loaders. About .001-002" choke.
Need to find a backing material that wears less, maybe HDPE. Rifling cutter needs some spring for uniform grove depth.
That said, hand making a barrel is two weeks work for a $400 barrel, so not practical, but fascinating.
Chuck

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Seems everybody knows but me about this technique. Is there a thread that explains the process?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I do agree Boats as I do know how Barry Darr choked his barrels and also unknown to most they were also buttoned rifled. His own process is one that he had to figure out. Why would he want to pass it onto anyone else in the same competitive barrel making business.  And I am surely not going to do so either. 
Snake oil it is not and now one is being forced to buy one.

IP Logged

oldstarfire
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Asking this:
Is the groove diameter reduced at the end?
Is the bore diameter reduced?
Both reduced?
I am not concerned as to the method.
Dont have a barrel, am not about to buy one.
TIA

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I know one that’s not going to be forced into a purchase and that is me. Too damn many folks out there that make barrels everyday and the good ones only make one kind of barrel; their best. The barrel making business has always been competitive and those that spend the time perfecting their skills survive. When the records start falling from this ‘unknown’ process will I consider getting in line for a purchase.

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
A friend of my son's,  just barreled up a 32-40 BRC choked blank and is getting quarter sized groups at 200 yds, and is tickled pink 
LD1
I'm going to order one as soon as  i get off my dead ass!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
FAQs | Bartlein Barrels
We cut rifle virtually any twist into a barrel (subject to tooling etc…). ... in connection with choke bore (lapping choke bore of the barrel), ...

IP Logged

AJ

Reply #17 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Contemplating how a choked bore might be made other than lapping, one thought that comes to mind would be to heat the muzzle end of the barrel before sending the button through.  The idea is that the heated end would expand as the button is pushed through, then contract to a choked bore when it cools.  I have no clue if this would actually work or not.

IP Logged

ScrapMetal

Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 1:33am
Print Post  
AJ wrote on Nov 20th, 2021 at 12:02am:
Contemplating how a choked bore might be made other than lapping, one thought that comes to mind would be to heat the muzzle end of the barrel before sending the button through.  The idea is that the heated end would expand as the button is pushed through, then contract to a choked bore when it cools.  I have no clue if this would actually work or not.

That's what I was thinking.  While I'm sure it would "work" I am not sure if one could do it accurately and consistently.

-Ron

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Here’s a better way to either choke or taper bore a rifle barrel but the cost keeps most of the barrel makers out of the loop; (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Be sure to check the tolerances possible with this machine. I think Mr. Pope would be impressed.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 10:13am
Print Post  
the CZ 22 rimfires have under size bores from the factory  and are the most accurate rifles in that price point by a long way  so maybe tight is good   art

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Hammer forged barrels are not being seen in the equipment lists by any of the top competitors. In any of the various extremely competitive shooting sports requiring the best in accuracy. Nor do they hold any known national records that I have seen to date.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
AJ wrote on Nov 20th, 2021 at 12:02am:

FWIW, likely not possible and nobody that makes match grade buttoned barrels does it or likely tried it.
What you’d probably get is not properly formed lands/grooves. The very process of properly getting a button through a blank requires setup and lots of pressure.
That said the very best tapered bore, buttoned match barrels get that way by taper lapping, usually with 1-2 tenths of uniform taper throughout the entire barrel if it is a rimfire blank.
Choking is a variation on that theme, I’ve had 6 PPC barrels that only had the last 6” or so tapered so the whole approach has proven results for jacketed and lead slugs. In the RFBR  world, anywhere on the planet, you’d be hard pressed to find a custom buttoned barrel ( the vast majority of custom RFBR barrels) that was not taper lapped.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 20th, 2021 at 11:21am:
Hammer forged barrels are not being seen in the equipment lists by any of the top competitors. In any of the various extremely competitive shooting sports requiring the best in accuracy. Nor do they hold any known national records that I have seen to date.

Just as button rifling is an American process the Europeans have hammer forging and used the technique for good use in their accuracy events. It’s all about the operator when the chips are down, how else can one explain the most antiquated rifling process being the the most accurate process.

IP Logged

AJ

Reply #24 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 9:48am
Print Post  
I really don’t have any idea if heating the muzzle end of a barrel before running the button through would produce a quality tapered bore in the last few inches of the barrel.  But just to add to the conversation, my rough calculations indicate the heat necessary to expand the bore by .0005” would only be about 200-300 degrees for a 40 caliber barrel.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 9:56am
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Nov 20th, 2021 at 11:59pm:
I am not sure but I thought the Germans came up with button barrel rifling.
KL

Could have, a large number of mechanical advances come from Europe. Today several American rifle manufacturers have taken up the hammer forged process but so far for high production purposes. Several of the European firms have also reaped the advantages of the high production but also have given hammer forging a place in their target rifles. Be reminded the Europeans place different values on a rifle’s accuracy purposes.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Back to the OP, I think you are asking a question that has yet not introduced enough data/input due to the barrels not being on the market long enough for a quantifiable statement. My suggestion would be to question the firm on their standards and go from there. I’ve only seen one of their barrels being used at matches and that in itself gave me no reason to make a judgement of their product. Being a geezer with a long list of product failures throughout my life my views are that of a skeptic so I wish you good luck in your choice.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2021 at 11:34am by Premod70 »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #27 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Choking means the barrel gets tighter as the bullet travels down the tube preventing gas cutting around the sides of the bullet. 
That is how accuracy is improved; from the limitation of gas cutting.

Some choking is done by lapping the barrel but it is done in steps so there is a bit of a transition between where the steps stop or start.

However with the use of single point cutters the transition is continuous resulting in a perfect slope along the inside of the barrel. 
RKS barrels have a continuous choke of 4/10,000" (0.0004") from the chamber to the muzzle of the barrel.
RKS barrels are precision cut with 40 cuts per groove or 320 cuts for my eight groove barrel.
And the metal was not stressed by deforming the metal by pushing a button through to create the grooves.

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2021 at 12:55pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Nov 20th, 2021 at 11:59pm:
I am not sure but I thought the Germans came up with button barrel rifling.
KL

Clyde Hart  of Hart barrel together with Mike Walker of Remington developed  button rifling as it is known today.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
In one of my ongoing discussions with Barry Darr. He was telling me that the interior of the Hart barrels where the best that he had ever seen. Unknown to some he was very close to several of the barrel makers at the time. He also visited their own barrel making means and methods to help to further to perfect his own.   
What is unusual outside of the CBA Heavy Class where they set several records several years back. And they still stand and over the past 23+ plus. I have not see them being used in our Schuetzen Plainbase Breech Seating Benchrest competitive sport.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #30 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Larry Jennings of the CBA who held many records before his untimely passing swore by Hart barrels.I think One barrel had been set back three times and had roughly 30,000 rounds before it became unusable.
This is with very high pressure running a 200 plus grain bullet at 2100 fps in a 30g powder capacity case.

IP Logged

ScrapMetal

Reply #31 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 3:49am
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Nov 21st, 2021 at 11:04am:
Back to the OP, I think you are asking a question that has yet not introduced enough data/input due to the barrels not being on the market long enough for a quantifiable statement. My suggestion would be to question the firm on their standards and go from there. I’ve only seen one of their barrels being used at matches and that in itself gave me no reason to make a judgement of their product. Being a geezer with a long list of product failures throughout my life my views are that of a skeptic so I wish you good luck in your choice.

I don't have enough direct experience with the barrel makers or the meets to have seen for myself what works.  I too am skeptical of just about everything (my wife says I drive her a bit nuts with it) and that's why am asking about choked barrels.

So far it's been a very fascinating discussion and at this point I am not very sure which side of the debate I'm falling on.

Perfect  Wink

-Ron

-Ron

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #32 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Equipment is listed of the top 50 shot benchrest cast bullet single shot shooters in last twenty five years. 
Note how many of them used RKS gain twist choked barrels.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 10:25am
Print Post  
If an un-choked barrel can shoot perfect scores and a choked barrel can shoot perfect scores. Pick one and go for it Ron. Myself I have had great success with Douglas Barrels in the past 23+ years.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 11:59am
Print Post  
ScrapMetal wrote on Nov 22nd, 2021 at 3:49am:
....at this point I am not very sure which side of the debate I'm falling on....

Even if a choked barrel does not help, the barrel maker you chose considers it a premium. After going through all the time, expertise and expense of a scratch build, the cost of the choked feature seems insignificant. Best of luck, which ever direction you take.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 21st, 2021 at 5:27pm:
In one of my ongoing discussions with Barry Darr. He was telling me that the interior of the Hart barrels where the best that he had ever seen. Unknown to some he was very close to several of the barrel makers at the time. He also visited their own barrel making means and methods to help to further to perfect his own.  
What is unusual outside of the CBA Heavy Class where they set several records several years back. And they still stand and over the past 23+ plus. I have not see them being used in our Schuetzen Plainbase Breech Seating Benchrest competitive sport.

Still make pretty good barrels. Several of us in CFBR shoot their 6mm 5R barrels and Jack Sutton of Harts shot a HV world record agg just this year in PA. I believe it was in the lower .1500” area.

IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
What would happen if you started a barrel blank with an OD of say 1.625 turned the last 6" to 1.25 then drilled ,reamed and rifled then turned the remaining OD to 1.25.  Would you end with a choked barrel ?

I have also wondered if maching a barrel to part octagon . enlarge the bore in the round front section.

Dales

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
To be done right the choke should actually be accomplished in the barrel reaming process. But I will also not share just how that might have been done all though I do I know. 
The reaming of the barrel is actually the most important part of a good barrel. And not what one might think to do such as hand lapping it as that would only alter it.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #38 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
  I know how to do it too, but I will not share my method either. Tongue

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Never said it was my method Jeff so what it is it that you are actually trying to get at?
If you have your own process please share it!

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 22nd, 2021 at 6:28pm:
To be done right the choke should actually be accomplished in the barrel reaming process. But I will also not share just how that might have been done all though I do I know. 
The reaming of the barrel is actually the most important part of a good barrel. And not what one might think to do such as hand lapping it as that would only alter it. 

So how many choked barrels have you made that are winning matches?

It's such a secret because people are running to you to supply barrels??

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #41 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
John Louis quote. Just today I believe. 

"Very nice indeed Bob and I would only add to help others to do the same. And if they have any personal goals they would like to achieve. To do everything one can to help them achieve each and every one of them."

That from that wonderfully syrupy, I'm so blessed thread.
John, help us understand, please! You must tell us how it is done. Help us understand.

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2021 at 11:23pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #42 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 9:13am
Print Post  
And for those that really really want to know; (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Yes, he just left the building the same way this thread has run it’s course.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 10:04am
Print Post  
I have been installing barrels for more than a few years and have heard all kinds if things from customers. One will say he has had his barrel stress relieved and the next will say his was frozen ( cryogenic). One prefers cut rifling the next wants hammer forged and lapped. Most want the best accuracy with the least amount of money spent. Some believe in gain twist and other don't. What I have started to believe, if a person thinks they have a better barrel then they tend to get better groups. It's as much a head game as it is having a quality product.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Joe as I mentioned earlier it is how Barry Darr went about it and that I will not share.

Cbashooter I do not make barrels..

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 10:56am
Print Post  
John I have had barrels that were just not competitive in the past. 
But I do agree it can be a head thing for someone who actually does have one but doesn't believe that he does.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
if you trust your equipment and load you will shoot better  clears your mind and you focus on shooting   art

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Art_ruggiero so very true. Over the years I have watched others spending allot of money trying copying those at the top of the winning list. And end up in a mode of constant change to only end up just chasing their own tail. When they probably already had what could get them their in the first place. And what others would then end up trying to copy it they would just spend enough time with it. 
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2021 at 1:15pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #48 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 23rd, 2021 at 10:39am:
Joe as I mentioned earlier it is how Barry Darr went about it and that I will not share.

Cbashooter I do not make barrels..

That's not very helpful John. I think your sincerity system is out of order.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Not at all Joe and just honoring my friends wishes that he had passed onto me.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #50 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 12:29am
Print Post  
I'm just not buying it, John.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #51 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 9:03am
Print Post  
I can understand a technician not wanting to divulge something that gives him an edge over the competition, but to carry the "secret" to his grave is being a bit churlish, IMO. How is mankind to advance its knowledge if all smart people keep themselves to themselves? 

Death bed confession: "I'm outta here folks. Here's why I shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards all my life with a .32-40 - I lubed my bullets with grease that oozes out of my lawn mower's king pins. If y'all want it, go see my wife and she'll sell it to you for $10K."

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Not for sale Joe.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't believe it now, anyway. If he left a secret with you he probably didn't care- somebody else was doing it better by then.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #54 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Reaming a choke in a bore is not rocket science even though John thinks it is.
He's having fun holding the bag of candy away from the other kids.  Grin

Not the most adult thing to do.  I got a kick out of Dellets post when he said John dropped a turd in the punch bowl. Good entertainment.  Smiley

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Nothing is really Rocket Science Joe if born with common sense and abit of mechanical abilities to go along with it. 
And I am still not got to share it and maybe he passed it onto the gentleman who bought all of his barrel making equipment. To give him the same edge so you might try getting it from him as he is also on this site. 

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #56 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Your bag of candy is imaginary, John.  You play with it.  Grin

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #57 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Edited:
JLouis wrote on Nov 24th, 2021 at 4:04pm:
Nothing is really Rocket Science Joe if born with common sense and abit of mechanical abilities to go along with it. 
And I am still not got to share it and maybe he passed it onto the gentleman who bought all of his barrel making equipment. To give him the same edge so you might try getting it from him as he is also on this site. 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
How in the world did you come up with that picture of me?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #59 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
John, for humanities sanity. Announce to your adoring public that you shall leave all your secrets in your memoirs. Is that a good idea?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #60 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Oh Hell No Joe. 
There won't be anybody who even knows that I had actually existed on this Earth. 
Except those who might have and would now be overly elated that I am now gone and for finally for good.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #61 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Not true, John, not true!

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #62 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 24th, 2021 at 5:17pm:
How in the world did you come up with that picture of me?

Nice try, the guy has hair.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Tim_s just not true. 
I just recently self cut about 4 inches off and it still goes about half way down my back and I still have plenty on top. I actually have not been to a Barber Shop since about 2008 and I spent the money saved on my shooting needs instead of. If memory serves me right it was $15.00 dollars the last time I went?

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #64 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
A friend, Mark, who owned a well-patronized barber shop back in the '90s suddenly had some upstart competition almost directly across the street.  Back then men's haircuts ranged between $15 and $20, including in Mark's shop.  Then a sign appeared in the competing shop's window, "Men's Haircuts: $5".  But Mark was only temporarily flummoxed.  Soon enough he had his own sign out: "We repair $5 haircuts."  Guess who won that battle.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #65 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
  Wow, that's crazy! Just lately men's hair cuts have gone up to $12 here in Ransomville.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
My Son was a licensed Barber in Idaho. And depending on if a customer wanted a custom haircut it could go well beyond $20.00's. He had a very different cliental than just the regular folks who would come to him. They were pretty much going to back to the Hollywood Haircuts and such and in the Rockabilly group of young men in the area.

IP Logged

ScrapMetal

Reply #67 - Nov 25th, 2021 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Haircuts cost money?  Who'd of thunk?  Just don't tell my wife, she'll start charging me.   Wink

A bit of "thread drift" here.  I do find it interesting that barrel makers are offering this as a "premier" service but that the top shooters don't seem to be trending to the choked barrels.  Has there been anyone who actually tested the choked barrels with an unchoked barrel of the same make and caliber?  That would at least give some kind of indication as to whether or not there was a difference between the two.  I know there are scads of variables that would make this very difficult but has anyone even tried?

-Ron
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2021 at 3:09am by ScrapMetal »  

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - Nov 25th, 2021 at 11:21am
Print Post  
I was escorted through the Shiloh Sharps plant in Big Timber, MT a few years back, and the adjacent Boulder Foundry as well.

Bob showed me the barrelmaking station, where they press a button through the barrels to make the rifling.  This method also “proofs” the barrel, as the pressure will split the barrel if any flaws or seams exist in the metal stock.  He had a couple of these failure around for illustration; better there a burst than when somebody is shooting it.

He handed me a smoothbore barrel, drilled and reamed and ready to rifle, and pointed out the choke that they put into them.  With the lands and grooves missing, it was easy to see how the shadow lines converged (like long isosceles triangles) from breech to muzzle.  The full length of the barrel; not just a “jug” or constriction at the end, like a shotgun choke or (as I read somewhere) the choke Pedersoli puts in the ends of their BPC barrels.

I asked Bob how they did that, and he said if he told me, he’d have to kill me.

So I sympathize with jLouis.  I can only imagine the midnight ceremony, the sinister, hooded figures surrounding him, the weird, eldrich music in the background, the blood droplets on the holy card, the burning of the card held in his hands, with the oath, “May my soul burn forever as this card burns, if I ever divulge this barrelmaking secret.  But, of course, I am free to tell everybody that I do know the secret, and say ‘neener, neener; nyah, nyah,’ when they ask me what it is.”  Cheesy

I have three Shiloh Sharps and one Pedersoli Sharps that a previous owner cut a couple inches (and presumably the choke) off the end of the barrel.  They all shoot very well, but the Pedersoli tends to put the first shot high and left, out of a clean barrel, while this tendency is much less noticeable in the Shilohs. I’ve also had a lot less trouble working up paper-patched loads for the Shilohs; still working on the Pedersoli.

So if you can put a choke or a gain twist into a barrel, and it doesn’t hurt the accuracy or ease of loading, why not?  It at least sounds logical, even if it might only gain you a point every ten (or a hundred) matches.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #69 - Nov 25th, 2021 at 11:43am
Print Post  
ScrapMetal wrote on Nov 25th, 2021 at 2:56am:
Haircuts cost money?  Who'd of thunk?  Just don't tell my wife, she'll start charging me.   Wink

A bit of "thread drift" here.  I do find it interesting that barrel makers are offering this as a "premier" service but that the top shooters don't seem to be trending to the choked barrels.  Has there been anyone who actually tested the choked barrels with an unchoked barrel of the same make and caliber?  That would at least give some kind of indication as to whether or not there was a difference between the two.  I know there are scads of variables that would make this very difficult but has anyone even tried?

-Ron

As was stated, RFBR which uses lubed lead bullets universally has thousands of participants globally, using almost exclusively, taper lapped buttoned barrels, supplied overwhelmingly by several  US makers which supply them as their standard match barrel offerings in several twist/rifling configurations. Since this is the highest level of RF precision at 50yds/mtrs by far, I think we can deduce it is a proven concept.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint