Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 8.15x46 for deer (Read 22539 times)
85lc

Re: 8.15x46 for deer
Reply #75 - May 18th, 2021 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd,
You are correct, but I think people need to look critically at any hunting video.  The deer shot was not a large Canadian deer but a smaller Georgia doe.  The shot was at close range and the deer wasn't excited.  In those situations, the 357 PCP apparently was successful.   
My thoughts are that in the hands of a serious, competent hunter who can accurately shoot and carefully takes his shots, smaller (or less powerful) guns can be used successfully.  Those are a lot of caveats.  From the limited amount that I have seen, shot placement and having an unexcited animal are most important in one shot kills

NRA Life Member, ASSRA Life Member, GGCA Life Member

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - May 18th, 2021 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I wholeheartedly agree with you, it is just that there are so many more that don't fit that criteria, and are unwilling to try. I wish that I could somehow convince some, at least, to try. Perhaps not. I do believe that most here, fit that mold. My kudos to to them!!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

85lc

Reply #77 - May 19th, 2021 at 10:43am
Print Post  
While I do not want more laws and rules, I do like (at least parts of) the German model (as I understand it) that hunters take hunting courses to learn about hunting & gun safety and then need to pass a competency course.  What I have read and heard is that German hunters are fairly knowledgeable and respect the game they hunt.

NRA Life Member, ASSRA Life Member, GGCA Life Member

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #78 - May 19th, 2021 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
85lc wrote on May 19th, 2021 at 10:43am:
While I do not want more laws and rules, I do like (at least parts of) the German model (as I understand it) that hunters take hunting courses to learn about hunting & gun safety and then need to pass a competency course.  What I have read and heard is that German hunters are fairly knowledgeable and respect the game they hunt. 

Many US states require a certificate of having taken hunter safety before you can buy a license and tags for big game.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #79 - May 19th, 2021 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
This type of proof was also mandatory when I was hunting out of state in Colorado. My hunters certificate had to be included for their review when buying my license and my tags.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #80 - May 19th, 2021 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Even if you. Were born before 1953?
Mike

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #81 - May 19th, 2021 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Yes and I was born in 1951. In California one just had to use their last Hunting License. When Colorado changed their Law my original Safety Certificate from back when I was 10 was no where to be found. So I had to go take the test all over again.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - May 19th, 2021 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
In Colorado, the year was 1949. If after that, you had to show your valid hunter safety card, from then on, you had only to show your previous license. I had a few from various places, so was usually covered, California was one of them, actually the first, probably from the mid fifties as I recall. All in all, I believe it to be a very worthwhile requirement. Not too long, and 1949 will be a moot point!!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #83 - May 19th, 2021 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Born in 1943 so I hope not. I was taught to hunt and safely handle firearms by my grandfather.
Mike

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - May 19th, 2021 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
It is actually pretty simple just look up the various states individual requirements.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - May 20th, 2021 at 12:36am
Print Post  
yamoon  Most of us were taught by our father, grandfather, or in my case a neighbor mentor, my father having just returned from years of war in the Pacific, and saw enough killing. Times have changed, and I would not send my son or grandson into the outdoors during hunting season on public land without the knowledge that others have at least a rudimentary understanding of basic safety protocols and and awareness of pertinent laws pertaining to the use of firearms and hunting related laws in their state of residence. Rural Kansas, and now even the rocky Mountains of the mountain states have much much more in common regarding the number of hunters afield during hunting seasons. There are those that reside in large cities and have never seen a deer, or handled a firearm of any persuasion, and I would shudder to think of them out in the same area as my son or grandson, without at least a bare minimum of instruction. The good old days are not quite so good anymore in this respect at least.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - May 20th, 2021 at 10:23am
Print Post  
In California it is mandatory to take a Hunters Safety Course and typically it is a two day course. Without it you cannot buy a hunting license and or tags. So does that now force folks to become more safe. No not at all but they will learn what is right and what is wrong and then it is all up to them.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #87 - May 20th, 2021 at 11:30am
Print Post  
This post has moved away from the original question, but it is good to have these conversations. I hunt deer every year, last year COVID-19 ruined my deer season. I have noticed there seems to be fewer hunters each year. Here is an excerpt from Kansas Wildlife and Parks harvest report.
total deer permits sold in Kansas for the 2018-19 deer season was 179,247 (Fig. 1), which is a decline of 1.85% from 2017-18 and 7.00% below the five-year average. This is the fourth year in a row that deer permit sales have declined. Most of the declines are in resident over-the- counter permits. The largest declines were in Whitetail Any Season General Resident, Whitetail Any Season Landowner/Tenant, and Whitetail Any Season Youth. Non-resident permit sales have been steady since most non-resident permits are limited availability with quotas, but slight variation occurs with Hunt-Own-Land permits.
I hope to pass on everything I have learned to my 13 year old nephew as soon as he can legally hunt. I am afraid hunting is a doomed sport.
Mike

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #88 - May 20th, 2021 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
If Hunting is Doomed so will be our Fish and Wildlife also be doomed. Our License and Tag fees is what actually keeps our Fish and Wildlife in my state abundant and healthy. As do several outside organizations who would not survive if not for the outdoor Sportsman and Women. Due to the extreme substandard forest miss-management by my state. Most of you know about our California wild fires being out if control. So campfire permits are not being issued during hunting season and since quite a few spend several days at a campsite for a multiple day deer hunt they just no longer go. So our Fish and Game funds have also been dwindling severely.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - May 20th, 2021 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
yamoon  I can't speak for the state of Iowa, but Colorado for example has managed to complicate the equation by offering multiple hunting seasons, beginning in late August, and continuing through January,  which puts game under much longer periods of stress and disrupts their normal behavior. What it really boils down to, is money. I would guess that hunter numbers have declined in most states, due, at least in part to the constant cry against hunting in general, and more and more people are gravitating to large urban areas for jobs, schools, etc ,etc. In Colorado, another blow to the Game and Fish department, was combining that department with State Parks, to gain access to game department funds. Again, de-emphasizing the game department. There is still a very large portion of Colorado in(or should be) in the PUBLIC/PEOPLES domain. National Forests, BLM, State lands and wildlife areas etc, many of which are being sold to oil companies, mining interests, power companies, government agencies, developers large corporate entities(read ski slopes) and more access roads to support the above. It will never end as long as large population corridors(cities)dictate policy, and attitudes don't change.            I really have gone off on a tangent, guess I just had to blow off a little steam, and I don't even(by choice) hunt any more.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint