Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) J. Stevens Marksman Rifle (Read 13167 times)
Retreever

Re: J. Stevens Marksman Rifle
Reply #45 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
B & M scopes discussed in detail ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Thanks,  ordered a copy from Cornell Publications last Thursday.

Retreever

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Thing about Trail Boss is that it's fast powder but it has a very low specific energy content.  i.e. it builds pressure fast but that pressure is not sustained as the bullet travels down the barrel.  Good for pistols, not so good for rifles.  A larger charge of something slower is a better bet for a rifle. In the computer model a charge of 6.2 grains of 2400 would get you over 1800  fps, for the same peak pressure as that 3.0 charge of Trail Boss, which will not even break 1400 fps, all other things being equal. (That's assuming a 45 grain jacketed bullet. An equal weight cast bullet will go slower at lower pressures, owing to the lesser  initial engraving force.)

In these days of famine, better-suited powders may not be obtainable, so we have to use what we can get. 

This is why I love Quickload.  You can "try out" dozens of possibilities without ever actually loading a single round. It won't ever give you a fine-tuned optimum load, but it will help you see what loads are not going work well, and why.

<div class=

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #47 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 8:48am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 8:48pm:
Thing about Trail Boss is that it's fast powder but it has a very low specific energy content.  i.e. it builds pressure fast but that pressure is not sustained as the bullet travels down the barrel.  Good for pistols, not so good for rifles.  A larger charge of something slower is a better bet for a rifle. In the computer model a charge of 6.2 grains of 2400 would get you over 1800  fps, for the same peak pressure as that 3.0 charge of Trail Boss, which will not even break 1400 fps, all other things being equal. (That's assuming a 45 grain jacketed bullet. An equal weight cast bullet will go slower at lower pressures, owing to the lesser  initial engraving force.)

In these days of famine, better-suited powders may not be obtainable, so we have to use what we can get. 

This is why I love Quickload.  You can "try out" dozens of possibilities without ever actually loading a single round. It won't ever give you a fine-tuned optimum load, but it will help you see what loads are not going work well, and why. 

Thanks again for the feedback, that's why I love this forum. Can you tell me what Quickload is? Sounds like an app!

Retreever

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
It's a ballistics software.  My copy runs on a Windows laptop.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

<div class=

IP Logged

Old Soldier
Senior Forum Member

Reply #49 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Hey Retriever, I think I have a set of K Hornet dies laying around. Want me to look?

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #50 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Old Soldier wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 7:16pm:
Hey Retriever, I think I have a set of K Hornet dies laying around. Want me to look?

That would be awesome,  yes please. 

Retreever

IP Logged

wyoold
Participating Member

Reply #51 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 12:50am
Print Post  
I can't hold my tongue any longer.  This gun is a grenade just waiting to take off a finger or remove an eye.  Fit a .32 S&W barrel and be comfortable with shooting it.  The marksman action is probably stronger than the favorite and other Stevens boys rifles, but it is no match for the hornet or k-hornet. You will not own this gun forever, so the injured will be a son, neighbor, etc.  I don't want to come across as a  know it all, but I want you to be safe.  Wyoold

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Um.......have you read the thread?

<div class=

IP Logged

Old Soldier
Senior Forum Member

Reply #53 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I looked all over for those 22K dies and can't find them, sorry. I can see them right where they've been for 20 years, but somebody moved them. To a better spot no doubt. If I do run across them, I'll holler.

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #54 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Old Soldier wrote on Dec 7th, 2020 at 1:22pm:
I looked all over for those 22K dies and can't find them, sorry. I can see them right where they've been for 20 years, but somebody moved them. To a better spot no doubt. If I do run across them, I'll holler.

Thanks much appreciated 

Roger

IP Logged

jimmy
Senior Forum Member

Now available in Oklahoma.

Reply #55 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 6:43am
Print Post  
If I remember correctly the lee 22 collet neck sizing die has enough shoulder room to size 22 K hornet.

ETA. Or maybe it was 223 improved. A google search may provide the answer.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 11:49am
Print Post  
This ought to do it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Still leaves you without a bullet seating die, though, and it'll size too small for plain lead bullets.

<div class=

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #57 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Actually got my hands on a nearly new 2 pc RCBS FL .22 K-Hornet Die Set  came with Sizer/De-Capping Die and Bullet Seating/Crimping Die. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong though because I can seem to get it to expand the case mount.

Retreever

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
You need a Lyman M expander die like this (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
2 dies sets are for jacketed bullets and don't give the little expansion needed for lead ones. 3 die sets include the expander.

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #59 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Dec 8th, 2020 at 2:12pm:
You need a Lyman M expander die like this (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
2 dies sets are for jacketed bullets and don't give the little expansion needed for lead ones. 3 die sets include the expander.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see where I can source one of these up here.

Retreever

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint