Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rolling Block conversion to .223 (Read 14814 times)
RB Maker
Participating Member

Rolling Block conversion to .223
Jun 26th, 2019 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
New to the forum , saw a 2017 post on questions of converting a Rem Rolling Block to a .223 caliber
Before hand I apologize to all for the concept and I didn’t know all the “issues” ahead
First let me say I have been non professional smith guns for a long time and maybe to my discredit a mechinal engineer with metallurgy background
That said and certainly to the RB purists this is probably sacrilegious 
I did create a working RB in .223
Used a Tippmann Armory receiver, a Green Mountain /5” barrel machined to a tapered octagonal shape
First issue was to modify the bottom center extractor for the rimless .223 case
Tippmann sends a .357 extractor but it is too short, so welded to length and filed to fit
Next bigger issue is the tolerance of the rolling block mechanism just does not lend it’s self to a short high tapper case as proved in the actual firing
The chamber was head spaced to go no go gauges and round chambers ok
But on firing the vet slight clearance of the breech roller to the hammer roller is just enough to cause the shell move back a very few thousands and caused case separation
The only way I solved this was to make a stepped button on the breech face that had a .003 step pressing on the case head
This solved the case rapture
Also had to make this button any way as the original firing pin was way to big and repaired the primers
Made a smaller go and hole in the button to match
So far this has worked have 100 plus rounds thru it
Materials for the barrel and receiver are rated to 52,000 psi
Will see if long term use holds but definitely a good plunger a shoots a 1.5” group at 100 yd

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rolling Block conversion to .223
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
you can also skydive with a lead parachute Sad   best   art

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I'm an engineer also, and this reminds me of something someone told me a long time ago.  "A smart man can calculate and logically talk himself into doing something very stupid".   

The rolling block action is not suited for a high pressure round.  It showed you that by the case stretch, and you did a work-around that made it even less safe; fixing a symptom, but leaving the original problem in place.  The biggest problem with a rolling block action and higher pressure is that it has no provision for handling gas leaks safely.  It vents right into your face.  Your "button"  made that gap even worse.  It did stop the immediate problem of case separation, but if you have a case separation or primer rupture, it will vent even more easily into the shooters eyes.

There's hundreds of different .223 rifle models out there.  Why would a person have to pick one of the most unsuitable actions to make one on?  If it's just to have a single shot classic .223, Browning and Winchester Miroku high walls are plentiful and easy to find.  I have one and it's an excellent shooter, better than any rolling block would ever be, and this is from a real rolling block lover.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Figured I’d get flak
It was not case stretch , measured that
No doubt it was head space issue by the breech roller taking up the clearance needed by the hammer roller
And the materials are well suited to handle the “high” pressure which isn’t that much for these steels
Maybe for original stuff

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I remember a rolling block chambered in 6 PPC for sale at Etna Green years ago, some people just like to play with fire.  Ledball

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Strongest metals made, can't make up for poor geometry. If the pins don't fail, the action cast might.

One thing that can help the thrust on the breech would be to take the taper out of the chamber. You just won't be able to feed that thing as fast as the taper was designed for. 

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
It's not what the rifle in question is made of but the design itself. stackable tolerances between the hammer,breech block and both the hammer and breech block pins come into play. Yes the hammer locks the breech block in place upon firing, but at those pressures for which that action was never designed for, sooner or later something will fail. And as ssdave pointed out that action has no gas handling capabilities at all. Everything comes back to the shooter.Frank

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 6:43am
Print Post  
I agree with Oldman that this is not a well suited pairing of case geometry and the mechanical tolerances of the rollers
I just trying to make the issues known for anyone else doing something like this
It was said that either me and or the idea was stupid and in some respects I agree but not for the reasons stated
Seems those that haven’t tried can offer negatives based on their on perspectives and believe others can’t do this
I get it but for those taking the conservative approach can make this work safely
If you do this take heed from experienced hand as seen here it is not the best setup
So I have what appears to be the only RB in the world in .223
Enough said

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 7:41am
Print Post  
I think I can picture what a stepped button looks like. If the action can close and function with a .003" button, maybe the headspace wasn't measured correctly in the first place? I'm not a fan of the .223 idea, but once a solution was needed to try, why not set the barrel back? I'd worry about the gas handling like others have mentioned. Could be interesting to see a slow motion video of what the action does on firing.

IP Logged

4060may

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Read the original post
He refers to a Remington RB BUT,
He is using a TIPPMAN Rolling Block, not an original..looks like a Liability Waiver form has to be signed before they will sell an action..their claim is action will hold 52K

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 9:54am
Print Post  
RB Maker wrote on Jun 27th, 2019 at 6:43am:
I agree with Oldman that this is not a well suited pairing of case geometry and the mechanical tolerances of the rollers
I just trying to make the issues known for anyone else doing something like this
It was said that either me and or the idea was stupid and in some respects I agree but not for the reasons stated
Seems those that haven’t tried can offer negatives based on their on perspectives and believe others can’t do this
I get it but for those taking the conservative approach can make this work safely
If you do this take heed from experienced hand as seen here it is not the best setup
So I have what appears to be the only RB in the world in .223
Enough said

I don't see the logic here? Nothing about this combination could be considered as "taking the conservative approach"? It's anything but conservative.
Just doing something like this doesn't make sense, and it flies in the face of everything written concerning Rolling Block actions and what is acceptable. An old saying comes to mind for me. "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should do it."
And I sure hope that nobody else is encouraged to do the same, just based on you doing so.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
I would offer the Pedersoli Rolling blocks as an argument. Their rifles are proof tested for sale in Europe.

They do advise against use of 45-70 commercial ammo that exceeds 40,000 psi, but not because of action weakness. Their concern is weak brass separating.

Below are the recommended max pressures for their rifles.

Smokeless Powder Cartridges
Calibers
BAR
CUP – PSI
30-30 Win.

30-40 Krag

38-55 Win.

357 Mag.

45 Colt

45-70 Govt.
29007(*)

8x57 JRS

9,3x74R

The asterisk for 45-70

(*) This pressure is allowable for modern made Pedersoli rifles in 38-55, 40-65, 45-70, -90, -100, -110, -120, 50-70, and 50-90. It may not be safe with other brands of replica arms and those mfrs. must be consulted for their data.

Proof testing is Max plus 30% of commercial ammo. The highest pressure round used by Pedersoli is 357 Mag. and would have close to the same thrust pressure on the breech at 46,412 CUP. as a 223 Remington with a max pressure is listed at 52,000 CUP.

If the rifle was proofed at 46,412 + 30% or 60,000 CUP, then a .223 in a Pedersoli action would cause long term damage but not likely catastrophic failure. 

It's pushing the limits but not necessarily stupid.

Pressure relief is another subject, but at least one member on this board solved that with a drill bit. Pedersoli  may have also addressed that safety concern.

To flatly say the rolling block action can not handle the cartridge is a bit of an over reach, if the action is upgraded correctly. Since the Tippman offers rifles in both 357 and 44 Magnum, it might just be up to the task.

Pedersoli owners manual pages 11/12 are relavent.

Pedersoli proof tests explained.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
The ability and capability and suitability of an action to handle a cartridge is a lot more than a "can handle xxx psi pressure" question.

Just to start, what cartridge was the 52,000 psi for?  At Least Pedersoli had a pressure for each cartridge size.

Pressure is one factor, case diameter is the other major one.  Barrel/action ring bursting pressure and breech thrust use both factors.  Case shape matters to a lesser extent.

But, the absolute pressure handling capability combined with case size isn't really relevant, when the weak point is the brass case and primer.  Only if the action is designed to overcome limitations in the brass case can the action strength be the controlling factor.

In the case of the rolling block, the lack of rigidity in the breech block headspace dimension makes it susceptible to brass weakness.  And, it has no gas blocking/diverting capabilities to overcome that weakness.  Drilling a hole into the firing pin cavity can help avoid blowing the firing pin back into your brain, but it  doesn't divert any of the leaking gasses from your face and eyes.  That's the major weakness of the rolling block.

I too have anecdotal evidence that a person can survive firing a rolling block with an unsuitable chambering.  I would be willing to bet that I've owned and shot more rolling blocks than 99% of the people that read this.  I've seen several in .22 hornert, .223, .308, .30-06 and similar.  I've owned two rifles that were spectacurally mis-chambered.   

One was a 1905 smokeless action chambered in 7mm STW.  I bought it from the widow of the owner that commissioned it, he died before he picked it up from the gunsmith that built it.  I presume that the gunsmith fired at least one cartridge through it before delivering it.

I also owned a Pedersoli rolling block (one of the early, soft Navy Arms ones with brass triggerguard) that was chambered in .50 Alaskan.  I got detailed loading information from the original owner that built it, that showed about 120 rounds had been sot through it.  All of them heavy, smokeless loads.  Most were in the 50,000 psi range, (not CUP, PSI).  The last 10 were in the 65,000 psi range.  He said that recoil was too much, so he decided to sell it there.   

I did not shoot either; I sold the pedersoli with good information on safe, usable loads, and rebarreled the 7 STW to 7mm mauser.  But, both of them existed as monuments to the fact that a lucky owner can shoot unsuitable chamberings without damage.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I owned a #4 Rolling Block barreled and chambered to .25-35 Win.!!! I bought it to get the action because it was cheap. I was amazed that someone was stupid enough to not just barrel it in .25-35W, but also use the standard method of retaining the barrel. The slip fit with a lever to retain it was just nuts for anything but the original calibers a #4 came in.
My guess was it had never been fired since it wasn't converted to a CF firing pin yet. Guessing whoever "gunsmithed" the #4 got to a point where they finally thought better of their plan and quit. Thank goodness!

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
New to the forum...

This solved the case rupture.

Welcome.

It's an interesting project you have. Would setting the barrel back a few thousandths have worked as well, or were other parts of the finished rifle (such as sights) already in place?

You mentioned head separations. Did you film these to see how extensive is the gas blow back towards the face? My .30-40 rolling block scares me a bit, thinking about the consequences of a separation. I'm not getting significant stretching, though, and I do keep the pressures under 35 ksi.

While the 62 ksi of the .223 (European spec ammo) is daunting, there are a number of .22 Hornet rolling blocks out there, and those carry a 49 ksi spec (SAAMI) in relatively fragile brass. Uberti sells a No.2 clone in that.

It's certainly not a cartridge I'd have chosen for a No.1, but cheap factory ammo has its appeal. Do keep those safety glasses on.

How was the workmanship on the Tippmann action?

Karl

Karl
IP Logged

Gunfunpow

Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Well, I guess this gives you bragging rights to the "only .223 rolling block" so congratulations. I agree with others, in that it's a head scratcher in terms of "why bother" and "just buy a high wall". But, you made it and that counts for something, so good luck with that.

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Has anyone other than OP used a Tippman action ?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
craigster wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 10:30am:
Has anyone other than OP used a Tippman action ?

I wouldn't even consider a Tippman action. They're ugly, and much more money than the plentiful military actions I find for Rolling Block builds. That hammer on a Tippman looks long enough to spear fish with!

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Hi KWK
The case separations were not at the head, they were about .3" from the head. I tried to move the barrel back to accommodate the slight movement of the breech block as it tightens up on the hammer roller, this did not work consistently as the hammer roller would hang on the breech roller.
The stepped button in the face of the breech roller did the task of keeping the breech roller tight against the head of the cartridge as it fired and keeps the cartridge in place. 
Wouldn't shoot the 62 psi stuff or 5.56, just too much energy. and certainly not for original materials, don't do it.
Solved the direct gas path concern as the firing pin is a two piece unit with the forward pin a button headed piece and a vent hole in the breech block to redirect a cap rupture.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Interesting solution to firing pin blow by. Is this your work or is it part of the Tippmann action? Perhaps it's part of the "stepped button" solution you mention.

As for the button, I'm still scratching my head as to why that worked but setting the barrel back didn't.

Dave Higginbotham, who did my rolling block, told me how he handled the stack up of clearance in the parts. I can't remember all the details, but I do recall he used strong elastic bands to pull the breech tightly rearward as one step.

Karl
IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 9:05am
Print Post  
KWK , the chamber was measured with go-no-go's and is accurate to these, the breech block would close and allow the hammer roller to rotate. 
I am not sure exactly why but the button seems to keep the cartridge in battery longer as the hammer roller rotates and tightens up the breech roller, there is a slight difference of the hammer roller radius from the start of the breech cut out to the radius just below the hammer stem.
This seems to be just enough lock up to prevent the rearward movement of the case. 
Again , this is not a set of ideal conditions for a highly tapered case and a"loose" action.
Just as a point of reference for the responses that this is dangerous for various reasons, ALL firearm mods are Dangerous.
If you do the engineering and material analysis before, some of this can be mitigated to a "Safer" level. 
The .223 using Varget and a 69 gr bullet is capable of 39,000 psi according to Hodgen in a test barrel. The 4140 chrome moly steel of the barrel is identified by  ASTM in the annealed state as 60500 psi, the receiver is stated as 52ksi.
The question of primer puncture and venting was addressed by the two piece fp and a vent hole added to the bottom side of the breech roller. There is no direct path thru the breech roller.
It seems that all center fire cartridges have the same possibility of rupture in the RB actions, new or old and the emphasis has been on this particular configuration as being more "dangerous" and stupid.
I get the discussion for the originals and I would not recommend it either but not for the unfounded reasons stated. 
A less tapered cartridge with a rim is ideal for a RB action. 
I just had to stretch the accepted norm which didn't make sense from stated beliefs. Experience counts.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 9:55am
Print Post  
You stated earlier that you're a mechanical engineer.  Use some of that training to ask yourself a question, that it is very apparent that you are not considering, from your discussion above.

How does the 39,000 psi internal cartridge pressure relate to the 60,500 psi strength of the barrel, and the 52ksi of the action.  For bonus points, what does 52ksi strength of the action as stated by the manufacturer mean?  Is that the yield strength of the action steel?  The block steel? the pivot pins?  Or is that a safe cartridge internal pressure?  If so, for what size of cartridge?

I'm not saying that the action isn't strong enough for the cartridge, I'm just asking how are you comparing three entirely different numbers that don't directly measure any related things.  You would have to do the appropriate calculations with measurements from the action in question and the specific cartridge to relate those three numbers in any meaningful way.  Cartridge PSI is not barrel hoop stress is not action tensile strength.  Those numbers cannot in any way be directly compared.  Only by calculating what forces the cartridge PSI puts on the barrel and action can you compare what those material strengths have to do with the safety of the cartridge.

As far as the gas venting, firing pin blowback or blowout is only one potential gas vent problem, and probably the least one.  How will your rolling block handle gas leakage from a case separation?  or an overload case rupture?  Leakage that vents gas into the gap between the breechblock and barrel end.  That's what vents into the shooters face.   

Yes, you have managed to get this to hold together even after using a workaround to deal with a gross headspace error by the gunsmith and/or problem with the action design.  Yes, you can download the cartridge pressure to keep it working with your workarounds.  It still is not a very good idea to do!  The next owner could very well put a factory cartridge in it, and be right back to higher pressure than even your adaptations will work for.  And your adaptation "button" made the resulting gas leak even worse for the shooter.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Tippmann first conceived of its rolling block as an air gun using prefilled cartridges (which for all the extra work does add considerable realism).  Just out of curiosity, does anyone know or care to guess as to why the hammer spur is so long as to be ugly?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
I am not sure exactly why but the button seems to keep the cartridge in battery longer...

... the emphasis has been on this particular configuration as being more "dangerous" and stupid.

Dave Higginbotham had one of his No.1 size actions in .33 WCF which he loaded to full factory performance. Honestly, I don't think even NATO spec .223 would stress the action more than that. He also fired factory 7 mm in an old action. That one flew apart one day.

The ones that amaze me are the WW-I Remingtons made up for the French and Russian service cartridges. Yikes!

Regardless, my .30-40-220 scares me somewhat.

With your button fix, what sort of case life do you get?

Karl
IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #24 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 7:45am
Print Post  
I have a buddy who recently bought a rolling block converted to 348 Winchester ; he asked me if I had any loose ammo he could try. I said yes I have some but politely declined to give him any.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #25 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 7:46am
Print Post  
SSDAVE;
I am  a mechanical engineer with metallurgy experience, this has little to do with the complexity of a firearm explosion in a chamber. 
In the practical world of stress analysis the process is the use of tested or stated material properties such as tensile and yield strength. In this case the lower value of Yield strength is used to calculate a conservative number. 
Max stress using yield strength as a limit

Formula S=P*R2sq+R1sq)/(R2sq-R1sq)
P= cartridge pressure, stated at 39000
R2=Barrel radius at chamber
R1= Chamber radius (largest)
So plug in the numbers and get 47,000psi
So the barrel material yields is 60,500 as tested by ASTM, by observation the result is less than the tested value
Given that I personally haven't tested the individual pieces, I have to rely on published values for the pieces. 
In the case rupture , it has already happened early on when the breech rolled back under firing conditions. The breech face as part of the roller is only parallel (theoretically) at the "closed position, as the breech roller rotates around it's pivot pin the (thousands, maybe micro inches the parallel becomes an angle , opening the chamber, and this is certainly where rearward gas travels and then perpendicular out the breech. 
Accuracy and build up of tolerances in the RB do not help this, But this is not unique to this cartridge .223. It is the same for any center fire from the beginning of RB's
I guess I am amazed at the response from those stating the technical details that haven't done the same level of engineering to state that this is not a good idea. 
Skepticism is good if you don't know the details, I welcome that. Proof in technical terms would help. Please provide what you feel is the right way to establish a level of safety
The stepped button head apparently takes up the slight headspace (and it is headspace) non parallel of the breech face.
I guess I could make the roller given the manufactured location of the breech roller pins and the relative position to the back of the barrel and chamber to eliminate the steep. 
The step appears to work, don't understand the "makes it worse for the shooter" comment. This could be said for all RB's in that case.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 9:12am
Print Post  
This might be of interest for this discussion. It is a study of pressures produced from Norma factory 8x58R ammo loaded for both the model 67 rolling blocks and 89 Krag rifles.

In short Norma loads for the converted rolling blocks was around 25,000 psi, maxing out around 28,000. The rifles were refitted, but exact specs were not given.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:17am
Print Post  
RB Maker wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 7:46am:

The step appears to work, don't understand the "makes it worse for the shooter" comment. This could be said for all RB's in that case.

It does not make it worse for every Rolling Block. But it will likely make it worse for every Rolling block chambered in a very high pressure cartridge.
One reason to keep Rolling Block style actions in conservative calibers is to lessen the odds of a mishap ever happening. So allowing for the chance of gases in a shooter's face by staying with more traditional calibers and lower pressures.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
....The stepped button head apparently takes up the slight headspace (and it is headspace) non parallel of the breech face.
I guess I could make the roller given the manufactured location of the breech roller pins and the relative position to the back of the barrel and chamber to eliminate the steep. 

It seems if it was only headspace, it might be addressed either through the original chambering, or sizing of the cases if reloading. I'd think the metallurgy could contain the relatively small diameter case size, but doesn't account for the play in the action and changing headspace/breech face angle when firing. Possibly, at around 40K psi, neck sizing and indexing the cases when chambering could help the ammo fit the situation. 

I don't think that all centerfire cartridges have the same risk of case failures in the rolling block, because likely lower pressures flex the action to a lesser degree, if all else is equal with the condition of the actions and way the whole packages were put together. Yes, I can understand traditional cartridges would have greater surface area at the head, but that wouldn't necessarily mean higher back thrust against the block. Interesting discussion, I'd try not to take personal. Maybe, keep an eye out for changes in the brass and action the more it's fired. Have a great Fourth.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 2:02pm:
....The stepped button head apparently takes up the slight headspace (and it is headspace) non parallel of the breech face.

It seems if it was only headspace, it might be addressed either through the original chambering, or sizing of the cases if reloading. I'd think the metallurgy could contain the relatively small diameter case size, but doesn't account for the play in the action and changing headspace/breech face angle when firing. Possibly, at around 40K psi, neck sizing and indexing the cases when chambering could help the ammo fit the situation. 

I don't think that all centerfire cartridges have the same risk of case failures in the rolling block, because likely lower pressures flex the action to a lesser degree, if all else is equal with the condition of the actions and way the whole packages were put together. Yes, I can understand traditional cartridges would have greater surface area at the head, but that wouldn't necessarily mean higher back thrust against the block. Interesting discussion, I'd try not to take personal. Maybe, keep an eye out for changes in the brass and action the more it's fired. Have a great Fourth.

Opening up the gap by another .003" will allow more particles/gas to exit.  Instead of gap headspacing a rolling block to allow for misalignment, I make a threaded plug that goes in the action threads, with a center bored hole.  I use a flat headed lap that has a shaft that is a nice fit in the center hole, and lap the breech block face square to the action threads.  The threaded plug can be screwed in a bit at a time to put thrust on the block as it is lapped, so that you take up all the slop in the mechanism, and you don't have to do a workaround like a button behind the case.  If the block is far off of square, use the lap to mark it, and then mill it first, and then lap it for the final fit.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #30 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Why lap it, just use a guided counter bore. You can still use the threaded guild to put pressure on the BB.

While the 223 pressures are a bit high, chamber for 222 and use that data, that should be ok, bringing thrust pressure, in line with the larger BP cases. Hoop and thread strength aren't a issue, with modern steel barrels. After all they were made in 30/40 and 7mm Mauser. The 30/40, gives a little more breech thrust than the 223 and so does the 7mm.

I would feel safer with a RB, made from alloy steel and would use that, over the original ones, made from a close relative of mild steel.

I posted about venting the FP, at least a few years ago. It's not hard to do when making a bushed BB. I didn't get any flax at that time.

For myself, I have more issues about milling the receivers rings octagon and CCHing. 

The '03 is much more prone to catastrophic case failure than a RB and doesn't handle gas well, either. Low numbers can and have blown up, altogether at lower pressures. I think many more people have been harmed with the '03 than RB's.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #31 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
There's not a lot of room for too much headspace on a Rolling Block rifle. If it's got too much headspace it also usually will be misaligned or out of square with the bore too.  When this happens the cases will actually bend at the head under firing, and even full length sizing wont correct a bent case if it happens near the base.
I've had to correct the breech blocks to square them up to the bore on almost every Rolling Block I've used for a project build. Some don't take much, while others take a lot to correct. But it's necessary to do it to ensure not only tight headspacing, but also to ensure brass works, and the gun shoots accurately.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #32 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
... I make a threaded plug that goes in the action threads, with a center bored hole...

Now that brings back a conversation I had with Higginbotham nearly 20 years ago. I think he did mention using a stub of a barrel, although it seems that was to center mark the end of the firing pin hole on the breech face. Regardless, your technique makes eminently good sense.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:03pm by KWK »  

Karl
IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #33 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
ssdave
Really like your idea to sq up the breech face, I will try this. 
Thanks

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #34 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks Frank
Was really looking for some other experience in caliber/chamber pressure info. Seems you have been down this road a while ago.
Along with ssdave this is good info. 
And Bill, I did mark the barrel with .223 only

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
For myself, I have more issues about milling the receivers rings octagon and CCHing.

Embarrassed  My .30-40 has both! 

I keep pressures down to about 35 ksi (estimated) and never fire factory in it. From my 30" barrel, it's 220 gr at 2000 fps, the original sporting and military load.

I looked through Army reports from the 1890s when the Krag was being developed. Depending on the powder, their crusher readings ran low to mid 30s up to about 40.

Karl
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #36 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Milling the receiver rings to octagon is no different than Remington did originally IF the receiver ring is the late version with the larger receiver ring. 
I wont use an earlier smaller receiver ring milled to octagon for anything but a .22RF myself. It just leaves far too little metal to make me feel comfortable for any CF cartridge I'd want to use in a Rolling Block.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #37 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
ssdave KWK
The question of the stepped button on the face of the breech roller and the question of safety analysis:
Taking the published .223 max pressure of 39kpsi the force on the breech face is 4305 lbf !, this is no kidding load.
Max stress capable of the breech roller is 52,000 psi
Calculated stress on the breech roller is F/A =4305/.5 in sq (measured), results in 8555 psi
Safety factor at this loading is 6.08
Max shear force on the breech is F/A where A is .12 x .74 =4808 psi , max shear capability is .5 max tensile =52000/2 = 26000psi
Safety factor in shear = 5.41
Pivot pins are in double shear and calculated using mild steel where tensile is 78300/2 =39150 psi
Calculated shear for these .375 dia pins = 19500 psi
Safety factor =2.01
Now to the stepped button , all are right that this is a work around for something else, that something else was found in the actual diameter of the pivot pins and the pivot holes in the two rollers. The hammer roller had a clearance of .0035", the breech was .0015"
Made new pins and lapped them to the respective roller and the gap and stepped feature on the button were eliminated. 
Here is some other info when questioned about pressures, found the 7 x 57 has a 51,000 pressure which all of the following were RB calibers, 8 x 50 (label) 
46200, 7.65 x 53 (Argentine)  56565
See the Brownell video with one of their gunsmith /collector of RB, stated the RB was capable of 46 kpsi.
Lot of history also.
Thanks for inputs, if you are ever in East Texas come by and let's shoot!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #38 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Are those pressures for 7x57 and 8x50 the pressures used for loading them back in the early 1900's when Rollers were chambered for them? Or are those modern pressure ratings? 
I've been told that those cartridges were not loaded to the same levels then as they were later. And I've seen a large number of #5 actions chambered in 7x57 that were loose from shooting that ammo. It's pretty common to see headspace issues in original 7x57 Rollers.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 10:55am
Print Post  
The play in the action might not be reduced to what a locking rotary, not rolling, bolt might be able to average. Can a thumb cam in a round like the ramps of a bolt can. If headspace changes on firing a bolt gun, there is an even rearward increase, on the rolling block the angle of the breech face will change. To me that means it's not only about the pressure

I realize that happens with traditional cartridges also, but the favorites might end up with quite a bit lower pressure against the block. I believe the action can contain the pressure, but I'd wonder if the conditions that caused the original case head separations can be fully eliminated. However it turns out, if it's a reloading necessity to get that bullet weight and psi goal, I'd just think that the brass may not hold up like traditional cartridges and the process might be rifle unque.

Only opinion, never once said it wasn't interesting. I myself can't get enough of the similar .222, but it's out of a bolt rifle.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #40 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 11:18am
Print Post  
The Lebel number appears to be the old CIP crusher indicated psi, likely for the later Balle N machine gun rounds. The rolling blocks were likely for Balle D or maybe even for surplus Balle M. I have seen a claim the WW-I rounds ran 41 ksi, which given the case diameter, would have been a quite high load on the breech.

I've read the "7 mm" was not quite the Mauser but an approximation made by Remington and not loaded to Mauser pressures in the ammo Remington supplied for them. 

I'm not sure where the "published .223 max pressure of 39kpsi" comes from. Hodgdon has data close to the 55 ksi (piezo) SAAMI limit, and the CIP rating is 62 ksi which is likely the NATO limit.

The "max stress capable of the breech roller is 52,000 psi" is likely taken off the Tippmann site and looks suspiciously like the typical SAAMI max for CUP pressure ratings, for 52 ksi is rather low for a modern gun steel. 

I did some back of the envelope stress calculations once. I recall thinking the maximum stress is in ring surrounding the breech pin, but it's been a while.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2019 at 11:23am by KWK »  

Karl
IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Possibly, a point to keep in mind about the original higher pressure rolling block chamberings is that they were design for reliable battle field service, and not controlled recreational use. I doubt if accuracy, brass life or shooting loose mattered much.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #42 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 8:35am
Print Post  
KWK
The 39.000 psi came from Hodgen for Varget max loads, granted not Rem factory, so I ran the stress numbers on the 55 kpsi:
The Tippman steel is identified as 52 kpsi
Breech Roller max force = 6071 lbf
Sigma for the breech roller at minimum cross section = 12065 psi
Sf= 4.31
Shear load in same= 6780 psi
Sf= 3.83
Double shear in the roller pins= 27500 psi
Sf= 1.42
Made a model in Solidworks and loaded as above and the model stress analysis agrees with the calculations, the max stress is located at a a change in geometry where the pivot pin flanges meet the larger breech roller block, which is where you would expect. However this is a concentrated spot and not a broad area of stress, could be rationalized that the high stress is "spread" to the larger mass surrounding it. Typically in modeling these kind of stresses are considered very low in critical analysis. 
The calibers the RB used certainly have varied over their life span, don't doubt the lower charges for the same caliber. The Brownell video implied that a lot of RB's were "abused" with loads that were not recommended but used anyway in time of war. Just goes to the mystic of the RB holding up to the overpowered loads. May have been detrimental to the RB action in many forms but seems they held together on a larger scale'
This has been informative for me to gain the insight of those experienced and knowledgeable of the RB.
The .223 RB has been performing really well and groups at 50 with iron sights has been less than 1" and I don't shoot that well. Tried a 16" gong plate at 300 yds and rang it 3 out of 4 times, quit after that , Quigley moment, and probably couldn't repeat that on a bet!
Cheers

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #43 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 11:51am
Print Post  
The pins are likely stronger than the block they operate in. Wonder what pressure the block will take before it breaks at the internal corner at the bottom of the breech face? That's the weakest point, and where they usually let go when stressed too far.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #44 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
marlinguy, the failure is in the pin flanges on the roller, sigma = F/A, with 15,558 lbf applied to the face of the breech roller the flanges fail in tensile failure, pins will fail before this happens. This would be a catastrophic failure. One would have to load a super hot double load to get this kind of force. 
However, the failure mode for a block like this is probable fatigue failure, repeated firing of excessive pressure rounds would do this, a crack would start and propagate. Probably one flange would fail, and block would become to loose to function. Material properties of the breech rollers and pins would have to be tested to verify the real values of tensile strengths for old guns. 
This is were the caution of "old" guns and experience is invaluable.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #45 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:00am
Print Post  
What are the "flanges" on a Rolling Block? Not familiar with the term as applied to a Rolling Block action?

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #46 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
The flange is the projections below the breech block which has the pivot hole for the pin
Tippmann has distinct flanges  separated by a .25” gap between them, for the bottom located extractor
Originals have either, side extractor seem to be solid

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #47 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Quote:
the failure is in the pin flanges on the roller, sigma = F/A, with 15,558 lbf applied to the face of the breech roller the flanges fail in tensile failure, pins will fail before this happens.

I wouldn't bet on that. Owning a rolling block in a higher pressure (than BP) cartridge, my ears always perk up when I hear of a catastrophic failure in a rolling block. I'm no expert on the action, but I don't recall ever reading of the pin failing. It's always the breech block at the ring of steel around the pin.

I don't think the stress/strain solver in SolidWorks is sophisticated enough to predict the failure point (and certainly not to 5 significant digits). For such work, a solver such as LS-DYNA, which can handle plastic deformations, might be needed. 

Also, unless you've talked with Tippmann and he's given you reason to take that 52 ksi pressure rating as the stress limit in the steel, I'd assume he's talking about cartridge pressure. Dave Higginbotham always rated his action in terms of cartridge pressure. He didn't care about case (piston) diameter, but as you realize that is a critical part of the equation. 

One reason I don't think your action will fail is provided by Uberti. They offer their No.2 size action in .357 and have so for decades. The CIP rates this cartridge at 44 ksi and Uberti will proof it for that. The SAAMI .223 (about the same diameter) is 52 ksi, but your No.1 sized action is much beefier than their little No.2.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:26pm by KWK »  

Karl
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #48 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Those "flanges" never fail. They do get "beat" from the breech thrust pushing them back against the hammer. But I've never heard of one failing. As KWK mentioned, the blocks fail at that same point I mentioned before. The internal corner that's the thinnest point adjacent to the pin. Being a squared internal corner, and the thinnest part, it's also the weakest point in the design.
Anyone whose spent much time with old Rolling Blocks has seen numerous breech blocks with excessive wear on the "flanges" as you call them. But I've never seen or heard of them failing there.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #49 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I may be reading it wrong, but I think he’s talking about the same location we are.

Karl
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #50 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
KWK wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:22pm:
I may be reading it wrong, but I think he’s talking about the same location we are.

I don't think so. He described them as "projections" and said they had a 1/4" gap for those with the firing pin retainer. Sounds like the "flanges" are what I called the tails that are shaped to ride on the curve of the hammer and set the headspace. 
I'm talking about the internal 90 degree angle where the block pivots on the block pin. That internal 90 is the weakest point, and where they crack. Those tails or flanges just get beat up from rearward thrust, and gradually get excess headspace. But never heard of them failing?

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #51 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
The 1/4" gap he said was for an extractor. I took it the Tippmann is using a rotary extractor in the middle of the breech block instead of on the side. I think (but am not certain) Uberti does this for the rimfire version of their No.2 clone. He also said the breech pin passes through the "flanges."

Regardless, in this image of a breech block:

the typical failure point would be at 12 o'clock from the pin centerline, where the breech face ends and a ring of steel surrounding the pin begins.

Karl
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #52 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I think you and I are on board and agreement with the weak spot, and where they break or crack. That's exactly where I was referring to. It's not uncommon to see parts with internal 90 degree machining fail at those areas, even when there aren't extreme pressures thrust upon them. Another example of this is the internal 90 on the hammer of a Ballard. They are often found cracked in this area, and there's virtually almost no stress on this point other than the fall of the hammer. 
Any of these situations could be reduced immensely by simply rounding that internal 90 degree cut. In the case of the Ballard hammer it's not a real issue. I found this on a #4 Perfection I bought 3 decades ago, and talked with Dave Casey at Ballard Rifle Co. back then about it. He said to leave it alone and not worry about it. So it's worked well for the last 3 decades and still cracked at that point. I own several others with the same crack, and don't worry about them either. But they're not under pressure like a Rolling Block breech block is.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #53 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:57am
Print Post  
See the pics of Tippman breech block and extractor, definitely different than solid blocks of originals
Weak spot is the the upper intersection of the pivot "flange" to the block.
KWK, trying to verify Tippman steel alloys and 52 kpsi number, the calculations are based on this number, even though it seems low for cast steels (most are in the 60-110 kpsi), it is still positive in safety factor, 
And respectfully disagree on Solidworks not being capable of solving the location of potential high stressed areas in classical or plastic deformations, SW solves to 8 places, which is insignificant in the load range we are talking about.
Please provide an example of the LS-DYNA solver and let's compare.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #54 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Ok pics this time

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #55 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
LS-DYNA is expensive, and I have no need to acquire a license. It will solve for multiple parts with clearances and handles plastic strain. It also runs dynamic loads. Examples of what it can do can be (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

As to "solving the location of potential high stressed areas" yes, of course, Solidworks will show "potential." Once plastic deformation begins near a corner, it's accuracy may start to fall off. Dassault is a big company with a need for accurate stress analysis, so maybe.

Karl
IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #56 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Have herd it for years and have had comparisons with outside vendors ( use to work for L-3 Flight Simulation) and it is comparable with other high grade analysis packages
Recent changes by Dassult have added plastic flow, hydro flow analysis and a simulation capability that allows dynamics and variable constraints to be applied
Heard, expensive, SW is 4-5 k for a single seat with most of the bells and whistles 
No question on the stress riser locations and where to expect proemThe thing that may not be real clear in a cad analysis is the “explosive” load magnitude in such a short duration event, more like sudden impact loads the real escalate the high stress issues

Cheers

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I'm not an engineer, I've never owned a rolling block, but I do think I more or less understand what's being debated here.  Therefore, if you'll please excuse my ignorance, what is the purpose of the two screws right above the pivot hole in the Tippmann breech block?   And why don't their holes increase the potential of the block cracking at that critical corner?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #58 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Recent changes by Dassult have added...

The thing that may not be real clear in a cad analysis is the “explosive” load magnitude in such a short duration event, more like sudden impact loads the real escalate the high stress issues

Okay, I'm a little dated (in more ways than one). Again, no surprise that Dassault has improved their product.

As for the dynamics, I believe LS-DYNA was one of the first successful packages to handle that. Varmint Al uses it to analyze loads under cartridge firing, which is pretty spiffy.

Karl
IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #59 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Bill, the plate is Tippman's approach to a two piece firing pin The plate covers a cavity for a headed pin, had to mod this one for the .223 , a lot smaller
The plate adds thickness, but in the model I eliminated it since it is not welded to the rest of the block, the stress point however stays the same at the change in geometry area for the flanges to the block, sharp point'
The two mounting holes don't appreciably affect the max stress as they are above the interacting stress plane and the forces coming off the flanges from the pivot pin.  Most of the breech block is in compression and hugh failure margin numbers for this.
The stress concentrations are in the flanges and even in the original blocks as the face of the breech is loaded in compression and the flanges/pivot hole mass is subjected to massive tensile stress trying to pull it apart and also applying large bending loads once the breech block hits and stops on the hammer roller face. This bending load is concentrated in the least cross sectional area of the flanges, or lower solid block.
Failure would probably be stretching of the area around the pivot pins, either very long term fatigue  crack or just plain stretching (yielding) till tolerances of the breech and hammer rollers would not work together.
Depending on the pin material, numbers indicate they are possibly the weakest link, might bend, crack or fail before large scale failures of the blocks.
This make any sense?

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #60 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Depending on the pin material, numbers indicate they are possibly the weakest link, might bend, crack or fail before large scale failures of the blocks.

Again, based on the failures marlinguy and I have read about, a catastrophic failure is nearly always in the breech block at the stress riser at the corner, not the pins. In cases where failure is limited to yielding, it's possible that occurs elsewhere; perhaps he's seen a few such.

What alloys Remington used in each part I can't say, and this could affect the results.

Karl
IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
RM Maker, let's leave aside Vall and KWK's arguments for now and just concentrate on your points to me.  If one or both pins should fail, even if it didn't "blow up", wouldn't the action no longer work and wouldn't gases very likely blow back in the shooter's face?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #62 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Bill
The chance of both pins failing in double sheet is theoretically possible but very unlikely
What happens in structural failures is that one member may start bending or yielding to its limit then typically the surrounding structure starts receiving the stress and spreading it over a larger area
Let’s say for conversation sake both pins sheared off at both blocks
The hammer roller kinda drops down into the receiver, the breech roller depends on the hammer roller location
If the hammer is down in the firing position, the breech roller has to go down into the receiver as well 
Not sure how these position would look at the moment the pins fail
Don’t think they would exit the receiver as both rollers are somewhat shaded from a direct exit path
I would think the breech roller pin is more likely to bend causing the breech block face to open up and potentially releas pressure at a perpendicular direction to the shooters face
Would not want either scenario 
To bust the pins in a catastrophic mode pressures would have to be well above 85 kpsi  not sure  a load can get ther

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Trying to stay out of this because I don't have a Roller or drawings.
Just a couple of comments: There is no such thing as shear yielding. That is why scissors and shears work.
Hopefully the side walls would yield in bearing before the pin shears. Don't see a bending load on the pins.
The hammer pin has a higher load than the block pin.
Guessing the block cracking at the sharp corner is a tension fatigue failure which can occur at lower stress levels.
FWIW,    Chuck

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #64 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Seeing the picture of the Tipmann block, it looks more apt to fail than an original with the wide cut through it. That @1/4" wide cut removes a lot of strength in the area most prone to failure. Leaving two "ears" that the pin pivots on makes it even more likely for those ears to fail under higher pressures.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint