Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rolling Block conversion to .223 (Read 14816 times)
Gunfunpow

Re: Rolling Block conversion to .223
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Well, I guess this gives you bragging rights to the "only .223 rolling block" so congratulations. I agree with others, in that it's a head scratcher in terms of "why bother" and "just buy a high wall". But, you made it and that counts for something, so good luck with that.

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Has anyone other than OP used a Tippman action ?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
craigster wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 10:30am:
Has anyone other than OP used a Tippman action ?

I wouldn't even consider a Tippman action. They're ugly, and much more money than the plentiful military actions I find for Rolling Block builds. That hammer on a Tippman looks long enough to spear fish with!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Hi KWK
The case separations were not at the head, they were about .3" from the head. I tried to move the barrel back to accommodate the slight movement of the breech block as it tightens up on the hammer roller, this did not work consistently as the hammer roller would hang on the breech roller.
The stepped button in the face of the breech roller did the task of keeping the breech roller tight against the head of the cartridge as it fired and keeps the cartridge in place. 
Wouldn't shoot the 62 psi stuff or 5.56, just too much energy. and certainly not for original materials, don't do it.
Solved the direct gas path concern as the firing pin is a two piece unit with the forward pin a button headed piece and a vent hole in the breech block to redirect a cap rupture.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Interesting solution to firing pin blow by. Is this your work or is it part of the Tippmann action? Perhaps it's part of the "stepped button" solution you mention.

As for the button, I'm still scratching my head as to why that worked but setting the barrel back didn't.

Dave Higginbotham, who did my rolling block, told me how he handled the stack up of clearance in the parts. I can't remember all the details, but I do recall he used strong elastic bands to pull the breech tightly rearward as one step.

Karl
IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 9:05am
Print Post  
KWK , the chamber was measured with go-no-go's and is accurate to these, the breech block would close and allow the hammer roller to rotate. 
I am not sure exactly why but the button seems to keep the cartridge in battery longer as the hammer roller rotates and tightens up the breech roller, there is a slight difference of the hammer roller radius from the start of the breech cut out to the radius just below the hammer stem.
This seems to be just enough lock up to prevent the rearward movement of the case. 
Again , this is not a set of ideal conditions for a highly tapered case and a"loose" action.
Just as a point of reference for the responses that this is dangerous for various reasons, ALL firearm mods are Dangerous.
If you do the engineering and material analysis before, some of this can be mitigated to a "Safer" level. 
The .223 using Varget and a 69 gr bullet is capable of 39,000 psi according to Hodgen in a test barrel. The 4140 chrome moly steel of the barrel is identified by  ASTM in the annealed state as 60500 psi, the receiver is stated as 52ksi.
The question of primer puncture and venting was addressed by the two piece fp and a vent hole added to the bottom side of the breech roller. There is no direct path thru the breech roller.
It seems that all center fire cartridges have the same possibility of rupture in the RB actions, new or old and the emphasis has been on this particular configuration as being more "dangerous" and stupid.
I get the discussion for the originals and I would not recommend it either but not for the unfounded reasons stated. 
A less tapered cartridge with a rim is ideal for a RB action. 
I just had to stretch the accepted norm which didn't make sense from stated beliefs. Experience counts.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 9:55am
Print Post  
You stated earlier that you're a mechanical engineer.  Use some of that training to ask yourself a question, that it is very apparent that you are not considering, from your discussion above.

How does the 39,000 psi internal cartridge pressure relate to the 60,500 psi strength of the barrel, and the 52ksi of the action.  For bonus points, what does 52ksi strength of the action as stated by the manufacturer mean?  Is that the yield strength of the action steel?  The block steel? the pivot pins?  Or is that a safe cartridge internal pressure?  If so, for what size of cartridge?

I'm not saying that the action isn't strong enough for the cartridge, I'm just asking how are you comparing three entirely different numbers that don't directly measure any related things.  You would have to do the appropriate calculations with measurements from the action in question and the specific cartridge to relate those three numbers in any meaningful way.  Cartridge PSI is not barrel hoop stress is not action tensile strength.  Those numbers cannot in any way be directly compared.  Only by calculating what forces the cartridge PSI puts on the barrel and action can you compare what those material strengths have to do with the safety of the cartridge.

As far as the gas venting, firing pin blowback or blowout is only one potential gas vent problem, and probably the least one.  How will your rolling block handle gas leakage from a case separation?  or an overload case rupture?  Leakage that vents gas into the gap between the breechblock and barrel end.  That's what vents into the shooters face.   

Yes, you have managed to get this to hold together even after using a workaround to deal with a gross headspace error by the gunsmith and/or problem with the action design.  Yes, you can download the cartridge pressure to keep it working with your workarounds.  It still is not a very good idea to do!  The next owner could very well put a factory cartridge in it, and be right back to higher pressure than even your adaptations will work for.  And your adaptation "button" made the resulting gas leak even worse for the shooter.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Tippmann first conceived of its rolling block as an air gun using prefilled cartridges (which for all the extra work does add considerable realism).  Just out of curiosity, does anyone know or care to guess as to why the hammer spur is so long as to be ugly?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
I am not sure exactly why but the button seems to keep the cartridge in battery longer...

... the emphasis has been on this particular configuration as being more "dangerous" and stupid.

Dave Higginbotham had one of his No.1 size actions in .33 WCF which he loaded to full factory performance. Honestly, I don't think even NATO spec .223 would stress the action more than that. He also fired factory 7 mm in an old action. That one flew apart one day.

The ones that amaze me are the WW-I Remingtons made up for the French and Russian service cartridges. Yikes!

Regardless, my .30-40-220 scares me somewhat.

With your button fix, what sort of case life do you get?

Karl
IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #24 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 7:45am
Print Post  
I have a buddy who recently bought a rolling block converted to 348 Winchester ; he asked me if I had any loose ammo he could try. I said yes I have some but politely declined to give him any.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #25 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 7:46am
Print Post  
SSDAVE;
I am  a mechanical engineer with metallurgy experience, this has little to do with the complexity of a firearm explosion in a chamber. 
In the practical world of stress analysis the process is the use of tested or stated material properties such as tensile and yield strength. In this case the lower value of Yield strength is used to calculate a conservative number. 
Max stress using yield strength as a limit

Formula S=P*R2sq+R1sq)/(R2sq-R1sq)
P= cartridge pressure, stated at 39000
R2=Barrel radius at chamber
R1= Chamber radius (largest)
So plug in the numbers and get 47,000psi
So the barrel material yields is 60,500 as tested by ASTM, by observation the result is less than the tested value
Given that I personally haven't tested the individual pieces, I have to rely on published values for the pieces. 
In the case rupture , it has already happened early on when the breech rolled back under firing conditions. The breech face as part of the roller is only parallel (theoretically) at the "closed position, as the breech roller rotates around it's pivot pin the (thousands, maybe micro inches the parallel becomes an angle , opening the chamber, and this is certainly where rearward gas travels and then perpendicular out the breech. 
Accuracy and build up of tolerances in the RB do not help this, But this is not unique to this cartridge .223. It is the same for any center fire from the beginning of RB's
I guess I am amazed at the response from those stating the technical details that haven't done the same level of engineering to state that this is not a good idea. 
Skepticism is good if you don't know the details, I welcome that. Proof in technical terms would help. Please provide what you feel is the right way to establish a level of safety
The stepped button head apparently takes up the slight headspace (and it is headspace) non parallel of the breech face.
I guess I could make the roller given the manufactured location of the breech roller pins and the relative position to the back of the barrel and chamber to eliminate the steep. 
The step appears to work, don't understand the "makes it worse for the shooter" comment. This could be said for all RB's in that case.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 9:12am
Print Post  
This might be of interest for this discussion. It is a study of pressures produced from Norma factory 8x58R ammo loaded for both the model 67 rolling blocks and 89 Krag rifles.

In short Norma loads for the converted rolling blocks was around 25,000 psi, maxing out around 28,000. The rifles were refitted, but exact specs were not given.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #27 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:17am
Print Post  
RB Maker wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 7:46am:

The step appears to work, don't understand the "makes it worse for the shooter" comment. This could be said for all RB's in that case.

It does not make it worse for every Rolling Block. But it will likely make it worse for every Rolling block chambered in a very high pressure cartridge.
One reason to keep Rolling Block style actions in conservative calibers is to lessen the odds of a mishap ever happening. So allowing for the chance of gases in a shooter's face by staying with more traditional calibers and lower pressures.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
....The stepped button head apparently takes up the slight headspace (and it is headspace) non parallel of the breech face.
I guess I could make the roller given the manufactured location of the breech roller pins and the relative position to the back of the barrel and chamber to eliminate the steep. 

It seems if it was only headspace, it might be addressed either through the original chambering, or sizing of the cases if reloading. I'd think the metallurgy could contain the relatively small diameter case size, but doesn't account for the play in the action and changing headspace/breech face angle when firing. Possibly, at around 40K psi, neck sizing and indexing the cases when chambering could help the ammo fit the situation. 

I don't think that all centerfire cartridges have the same risk of case failures in the rolling block, because likely lower pressures flex the action to a lesser degree, if all else is equal with the condition of the actions and way the whole packages were put together. Yes, I can understand traditional cartridges would have greater surface area at the head, but that wouldn't necessarily mean higher back thrust against the block. Interesting discussion, I'd try not to take personal. Maybe, keep an eye out for changes in the brass and action the more it's fired. Have a great Fourth.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 2:02pm:
....The stepped button head apparently takes up the slight headspace (and it is headspace) non parallel of the breech face.

It seems if it was only headspace, it might be addressed either through the original chambering, or sizing of the cases if reloading. I'd think the metallurgy could contain the relatively small diameter case size, but doesn't account for the play in the action and changing headspace/breech face angle when firing. Possibly, at around 40K psi, neck sizing and indexing the cases when chambering could help the ammo fit the situation. 

I don't think that all centerfire cartridges have the same risk of case failures in the rolling block, because likely lower pressures flex the action to a lesser degree, if all else is equal with the condition of the actions and way the whole packages were put together. Yes, I can understand traditional cartridges would have greater surface area at the head, but that wouldn't necessarily mean higher back thrust against the block. Interesting discussion, I'd try not to take personal. Maybe, keep an eye out for changes in the brass and action the more it's fired. Have a great Fourth.

Opening up the gap by another .003" will allow more particles/gas to exit.  Instead of gap headspacing a rolling block to allow for misalignment, I make a threaded plug that goes in the action threads, with a center bored hole.  I use a flat headed lap that has a shaft that is a nice fit in the center hole, and lap the breech block face square to the action threads.  The threaded plug can be screwed in a bit at a time to put thrust on the block as it is lapped, so that you take up all the slop in the mechanism, and you don't have to do a workaround like a button behind the case.  If the block is far off of square, use the lap to mark it, and then mill it first, and then lap it for the final fit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint