Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rolling Block conversion to .223 (Read 14810 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Rolling Block conversion to .223
Reply #45 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:00am
Print Post  
What are the "flanges" on a Rolling Block? Not familiar with the term as applied to a Rolling Block action?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #46 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
The flange is the projections below the breech block which has the pivot hole for the pin
Tippmann has distinct flanges  separated by a .25” gap between them, for the bottom located extractor
Originals have either, side extractor seem to be solid

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #47 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Quote:
the failure is in the pin flanges on the roller, sigma = F/A, with 15,558 lbf applied to the face of the breech roller the flanges fail in tensile failure, pins will fail before this happens.

I wouldn't bet on that. Owning a rolling block in a higher pressure (than BP) cartridge, my ears always perk up when I hear of a catastrophic failure in a rolling block. I'm no expert on the action, but I don't recall ever reading of the pin failing. It's always the breech block at the ring of steel around the pin.

I don't think the stress/strain solver in SolidWorks is sophisticated enough to predict the failure point (and certainly not to 5 significant digits). For such work, a solver such as LS-DYNA, which can handle plastic deformations, might be needed. 

Also, unless you've talked with Tippmann and he's given you reason to take that 52 ksi pressure rating as the stress limit in the steel, I'd assume he's talking about cartridge pressure. Dave Higginbotham always rated his action in terms of cartridge pressure. He didn't care about case (piston) diameter, but as you realize that is a critical part of the equation. 

One reason I don't think your action will fail is provided by Uberti. They offer their No.2 size action in .357 and have so for decades. The CIP rates this cartridge at 44 ksi and Uberti will proof it for that. The SAAMI .223 (about the same diameter) is 52 ksi, but your No.1 sized action is much beefier than their little No.2.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:26pm by KWK »  

Karl
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #48 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Those "flanges" never fail. They do get "beat" from the breech thrust pushing them back against the hammer. But I've never heard of one failing. As KWK mentioned, the blocks fail at that same point I mentioned before. The internal corner that's the thinnest point adjacent to the pin. Being a squared internal corner, and the thinnest part, it's also the weakest point in the design.
Anyone whose spent much time with old Rolling Blocks has seen numerous breech blocks with excessive wear on the "flanges" as you call them. But I've never seen or heard of them failing there.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #49 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I may be reading it wrong, but I think he’s talking about the same location we are.

Karl
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #50 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
KWK wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:22pm:
I may be reading it wrong, but I think he’s talking about the same location we are.

I don't think so. He described them as "projections" and said they had a 1/4" gap for those with the firing pin retainer. Sounds like the "flanges" are what I called the tails that are shaped to ride on the curve of the hammer and set the headspace. 
I'm talking about the internal 90 degree angle where the block pivots on the block pin. That internal 90 is the weakest point, and where they crack. Those tails or flanges just get beat up from rearward thrust, and gradually get excess headspace. But never heard of them failing?

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #51 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
The 1/4" gap he said was for an extractor. I took it the Tippmann is using a rotary extractor in the middle of the breech block instead of on the side. I think (but am not certain) Uberti does this for the rimfire version of their No.2 clone. He also said the breech pin passes through the "flanges."

Regardless, in this image of a breech block:

the typical failure point would be at 12 o'clock from the pin centerline, where the breech face ends and a ring of steel surrounding the pin begins.

Karl
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #52 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I think you and I are on board and agreement with the weak spot, and where they break or crack. That's exactly where I was referring to. It's not uncommon to see parts with internal 90 degree machining fail at those areas, even when there aren't extreme pressures thrust upon them. Another example of this is the internal 90 on the hammer of a Ballard. They are often found cracked in this area, and there's virtually almost no stress on this point other than the fall of the hammer. 
Any of these situations could be reduced immensely by simply rounding that internal 90 degree cut. In the case of the Ballard hammer it's not a real issue. I found this on a #4 Perfection I bought 3 decades ago, and talked with Dave Casey at Ballard Rifle Co. back then about it. He said to leave it alone and not worry about it. So it's worked well for the last 3 decades and still cracked at that point. I own several others with the same crack, and don't worry about them either. But they're not under pressure like a Rolling Block breech block is.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #53 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:57am
Print Post  
See the pics of Tippman breech block and extractor, definitely different than solid blocks of originals
Weak spot is the the upper intersection of the pivot "flange" to the block.
KWK, trying to verify Tippman steel alloys and 52 kpsi number, the calculations are based on this number, even though it seems low for cast steels (most are in the 60-110 kpsi), it is still positive in safety factor, 
And respectfully disagree on Solidworks not being capable of solving the location of potential high stressed areas in classical or plastic deformations, SW solves to 8 places, which is insignificant in the load range we are talking about.
Please provide an example of the LS-DYNA solver and let's compare.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #54 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Ok pics this time

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #55 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
LS-DYNA is expensive, and I have no need to acquire a license. It will solve for multiple parts with clearances and handles plastic strain. It also runs dynamic loads. Examples of what it can do can be (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

As to "solving the location of potential high stressed areas" yes, of course, Solidworks will show "potential." Once plastic deformation begins near a corner, it's accuracy may start to fall off. Dassault is a big company with a need for accurate stress analysis, so maybe.

Karl
IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #56 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Have herd it for years and have had comparisons with outside vendors ( use to work for L-3 Flight Simulation) and it is comparable with other high grade analysis packages
Recent changes by Dassult have added plastic flow, hydro flow analysis and a simulation capability that allows dynamics and variable constraints to be applied
Heard, expensive, SW is 4-5 k for a single seat with most of the bells and whistles 
No question on the stress riser locations and where to expect proemThe thing that may not be real clear in a cad analysis is the “explosive” load magnitude in such a short duration event, more like sudden impact loads the real escalate the high stress issues

Cheers

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I'm not an engineer, I've never owned a rolling block, but I do think I more or less understand what's being debated here.  Therefore, if you'll please excuse my ignorance, what is the purpose of the two screws right above the pivot hole in the Tippmann breech block?   And why don't their holes increase the potential of the block cracking at that critical corner?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #58 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Recent changes by Dassult have added...

The thing that may not be real clear in a cad analysis is the “explosive” load magnitude in such a short duration event, more like sudden impact loads the real escalate the high stress issues

Okay, I'm a little dated (in more ways than one). Again, no surprise that Dassault has improved their product.

As for the dynamics, I believe LS-DYNA was one of the first successful packages to handle that. Varmint Al uses it to analyze loads under cartridge firing, which is pretty spiffy.

Karl
IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #59 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Bill, the plate is Tippman's approach to a two piece firing pin The plate covers a cavity for a headed pin, had to mod this one for the .223 , a lot smaller
The plate adds thickness, but in the model I eliminated it since it is not welded to the rest of the block, the stress point however stays the same at the change in geometry area for the flanges to the block, sharp point'
The two mounting holes don't appreciably affect the max stress as they are above the interacting stress plane and the forces coming off the flanges from the pivot pin.  Most of the breech block is in compression and hugh failure margin numbers for this.
The stress concentrations are in the flanges and even in the original blocks as the face of the breech is loaded in compression and the flanges/pivot hole mass is subjected to massive tensile stress trying to pull it apart and also applying large bending loads once the breech block hits and stops on the hammer roller face. This bending load is concentrated in the least cross sectional area of the flanges, or lower solid block.
Failure would probably be stretching of the area around the pivot pins, either very long term fatigue  crack or just plain stretching (yielding) till tolerances of the breech and hammer rollers would not work together.
Depending on the pin material, numbers indicate they are possibly the weakest link, might bend, crack or fail before large scale failures of the blocks.
This make any sense?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint