Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Optical Peep Sight (Read 16775 times)
ratseye

Optical Peep Sight
Nov 23rd, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
I know that most guys here must know about this but I just discovered it and I think it will be a great help for my old eyes. It is a Gehmann adjustable iris peep sight but what makes it fantastic is it also has a 1-1/2 power adjustable diopter lens built in. I can't see the front sight anymore much less the target through my regular peeps but this is amazing. I am able to focus everything in and see it crisp and clean. The one I purchased is for a Parker-Hale 7A that is mounted on an old Martini Cadet in 32-20 WCF. Here is a picture of the sight and if it warms up a little I will try to get to the range and shoot it. 

[/img][/img]

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Re: Optical Peep Sight
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Do you know the gehmann numbers of the set up?
Bill

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
The adjustable focus of the lens is a great modern improvement, but Tom Martin (pen name "Trim Nat") was making an eyecup for tang sights that held a lens back in the 1880s, I believe. (I have one marked "pat applied for," but no date.)  Of course, the lens had to be ground to the individual shooter's prescription, but that's no more trouble than having shooting glasses made, which is what I use in order to see the front sight clearly. But the sharper the front sight, the blurrier the target, & there's no fix for that...except a scope.

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Sportslube, the Gehmann number is PH-530 which I think is the standard model. Mine came with an adapter for the Parker-Hale base. I bought it through Creedmoor Sports in Alabama. It was special order for that mount but only took about two weeks from Germany. They were very helpful all around and I would buy from them again. 

Redsetter, I knew about the ones from back in the Schuetzen days and that is what sent me looking. I have an implant from an eye injury that keeps me from seeing even with glasses but the combination of focus and iris seems to do the job. It's like I have a teenage eye again. And that is with no prescription glasses.  That's why they call me "ratseye".

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Question:
Is it allowed to have a lense in the rear or front sight when shooting "Iron sight" class in ASSRA and ISSA Schuetzen?
NRA HiPo and probably small bore rules specifically allow a Single lense (no compounds) in front OR rear sight, but not in both front and rear. 
tx
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
I have one of those as well.  I found that the sight picture overall is much better if I use just safety glasses and not my prescription glasses.  You may find a different solution.

Dave

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Nov 23rd, 2018 at 5:16pm:
...................... Of course, the lens had to be ground to the individual shooter's prescription, but that's no more trouble than having shooting glasses made, which is what I use in order to see the front sight clearly. But the sharper the front sight, the blurrier the target, & there's no fix for that...except a scope.

Actually there is another fix, at least for some of us. For many decades my master eye has been only good enough to aline the front and rear sights -- forget about the target. My solution, which goes back to late childhood, is to shoot with both eyes open. Bad right eye aligns front and back sights, normal left eye looks at target and brain melds them into single image. Even worked very well for wingshooting. Worked fine for me until recent years, when ability to meld vision from both eyes has become a sometimes thing. 

But, my best fix is scopes off-set for use with left eye. Or just to shoot revolvers and use left eye.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 12:32am
Print Post  

Is it allowed to have a lense in the rear or front sight when shooting "Iron sight" class in ASSRA and ISSA Schuetzen?

Yes you are allowed to have a diopter lens in either the front or rear; but not in both, because that would be making it a telescope.

With the adjustable diopter you can focus so both the front sight and the target are sharp.

However you are better to back the focus off so the front sight is sharp but the target is not as sharp.

This forces your eye to continue to concentrate on centering the target; as opposed to focusing back and forth from the front sight and the target.

This slight out of focus adjustment will cut your group sizes to a third the size.

Advice provided to me by Lones Wigger; former  top US shooter, former Olympic Coach and only shooter in the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame as well as a member of the USA Shooting Hall of Fame .

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 3:51pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:40am
Print Post  
I had given up shooting competition with iron sights and all my serious rifles are scoped. I shoot with both eyes even scoped but it doesn't help all that much anymore. It is better with this sight and just safety glasses than with prescriptions. I think the big help will be in load development. I think I can shoot something that looks like a group now. I'll report as soon as I can get to the range. Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:44am
Print Post  
ratseye wrote on Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:40am:
I think I can shoot something that looks like a group now.  ratseye 

You are not alone! Cry

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 11:00am
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2018 at 11:24pm:
My solution, which goes back to late childhood, is to shoot with both eyes open. Bad right eye aligns front and back sights, normal left eye looks at target and brain melds them into single image. Even worked very well for wingshooting. Worked fine for me until recent years, when ability to meld vision from both eyes has become a sometimes thing. 

"Worked fine for me until recent years."  Recent years--that's the problem.  Shot with both eyes open for decades, after training myself to do it with a pistol; now...the aggravation of trying is just too great.  In fact, I must resort to wearing an eye patch.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Nov 24th, 2018 at 12:32am:
With the diopter you can focus so both the front sight and the target are sharp.

Don't see how that's optically possible, though if the muscles controlling the eye's lens are flexible enough (i.e., young enough), the illusion of sharp focus can be created by the eye's rapid re-focusing between front sight & target.

But as you pointed out, a slightly blurred target can be advantageous for aiming. 

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 11:46am
Print Post  
[quote author=645352455342425344360 link=1543005715/10#10 date=1543075259

"Worked fine for me until recent years."  Recent years--that's the problem.  Shot with both eyes open for decades, after training myself to do it with a pistol; now...the aggravation of trying is just too great.  In fact, I must resort to wearing an eye patch.
[/quote]

To my surprise, after losing ability to shoot with both eyes open some years ago, I got it back recently to a usefully degree with rifles that have enough drop in stock to allow holding head much more vertical and facing forward, at least offhand or from some rested positions. Do that as deliberate SOP now with revolvers. Have not gotten back to anything consistently satisfactory for wingshooting.

Found out that gunsmith I use had to go to positions and rifles that allowed quite vertical, facing forward, head position to get back a large measure of his previous abilities.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Don't see how that's optically possible

It will be very obvious if you ever try it by playing with an adjustable diopter.
Maybe someone can lend you one and you can test it.

I have been using a Gehmann adjustable iris c/w an adjustable diopter since 2005.

Using it I was the International Schuetzen Benchrest Champion even though I had cataracts at the time.

I have an adjustable diopter with my Gehmann adjustable iris with colour filters and dual polarizer.

I also have an adjustable diopter with my Gehmann adjustable iris with only a dual polarizer.

Found adjusting light and focusing with the adjustable diopter was all I needed to improve my declining eyesight that comes with age.

I no longer use the colour filters or the polarizer.

The big knob closest to the sight is for adjusting the diopter.

I watch the wind with my left eye and sight with my right eye - so I always have both eyes open.

I have always mounted my sights high so my head is vertical and I always have the same Point of Aim.

As we age and macular degeneration occurs; we may need to adjust how we look through the sights to use the best part of our eyesight that remains.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 3:53pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Dave, I saw those you mention with all the bells and whistles but bought the basic one because I had no idea as to how effective it would be. Now that I see the improvement I have to ask, are the other features worth the money? Since you can pick and chose, which give the most additional help and which not so much? Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #15 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
You must have the right amount of light to your eye so an adjustable aperture is number one.

You can improve your scores by selecting the right focus or balance of sharpness between your front sight and the target so I believe the adjustable diopter is essential.

Every time I have tested using the colour filters or the dual polarizer; I always got better scores using straight light to my eye, so I do not value these add ons.

These other addons make you believe you are seeing a better sight picture.
However the apparently improved sight picture did squat for improving my scores; rather they actually slightly decreased my scores after numerous trials.

Then the precision of adjustment of your sight is the next most important thing.

I strongly believe it is better to have 1/8 or 1/10 MOA adjustments so you can better select your point of aim.

With a scope you can hold off but with iron sights you need the fine accuracy of adjustment if you are going to have an edge in competition.

I do not think 1/4 MOA adjustments will shoot fine enough to win competitions because there are some pretty strong competitors out there.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:38pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Red Cent
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 9:28pm
Print Post  

Life is too short to argue with stupid people
and/or drink cheap booze

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #17 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
I screwed one of those #530's into the tube sight I built and it definitely helped my iron sight scores.  Agree with Schützendaves's views on adjustment.  I got mine from Champions Choice - believe they are $140 now.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #18 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Joe:

I have been considering whether I should build a 28" long tube sight to use the 17" spaced blocks on some of my Black Powder rifles.

I have a MVA Schuetzen Rear Mount I was considering using and was considering using an adjustable front aperture.

Just trying to figure out what to do with some spare parts I have sitting around.

Any thoughts on constructing such an item?

How has the California emergencies affected you? and the rest of the Schuetzen shooters down there?

Might put it on the .50-70 Rolling Block I am building which will also be using a 28" MVA scope as well.

Dave
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:56pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
I mostly use Baldwin sights, or did when I could see well enough. Does anyone know about thread compatibility or adaptors between the two products?

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #20 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Dave, your experience confirms what I was thinking about the extras. I would suppose the polarizing filters would help if there was a strong reflection off the face of the target. I am thinking it could happen on a metallic silhouette in certain light but I have never experienced it. The color filters might cut haze and increase contrast but might cut down on the light going through. For me I need all the light I can get to see. The device certainly opens a lot of possibilities with other sight systems. That tube sight set up is very interesting. ratseye

IP Logged

Steve Miller

Reply #21 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know about or use any of the sight discs offered by the Merit Corporation? They also offer a lens disc. Has anyone ever used one of these?

Is it optically or scientifically possible to have a lens in the rear sight and one in the front sight so this combination functions just like a telescopic sight? 

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I like the color filters. I don't use them all the time but they have there time and place to use. The green and blue will make a red target appear black. Yellow works great in lower light. I prefer the merit and parker hale adjustable for how far they close down over the Anschutz and Gehmann but that's not saying they don't do a good job. JMO

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #23 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
As I recall, the thread on the Gehman is an oddball metric.  It's close to a US size - maybe 3/8 - 24 ?   In my own case, that's what I used and it acted somewhat like a pipe thread - turned in two or three threads and started to tighten up - worked fine for my application.  I had no luck trying to find out the thread sizes for their adaptor (577).

California fires have not affected us this far south Dave, but the devastation up north is hard to see.

We should probably start a new thread for tube sights so as not to derail this one.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Joe, I think you are right. It must be a proprietary thread as I measure the OD at 0.368" or 9.36 mm and this doesn't match up with anything I know. The pitch looks to be 1 mm. I haven't tried to measure the adapter thread yet. 

This is my first experience with optical sight disks so I am just getting to know these things.

Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
The thread is 9.5 x 1 metric.

It is very close to a 3/8 x 24, will actually engage it about 3-4 threads before it binds.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #26 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Don, 

You beat me to it. I went back to the Gehmann site and found the thread listed at 9.5x1mm as you said. It must be special as I cannot find that size listed as standard anywhere. A lot of makers do that so you have to buy their stuff. 

Looking around the site I did find something interesting and that is an adjustable spherical adapter. I have an astigmatism as a result of some of the surgery on my eye and even that can be corrected with this adapter. I never realized this stuff was out there but then I never shot Olympic style guns or equipment. Just amazing technology. 

ratseye

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the thread info. Interesting possibilities. At the worst, more stuff for the heirs to wonder at and toss.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
It is actually 3/8 X 28 UNF and per-say the same as the Metric version and that is why the 3/8 X 24 would not thread all the way in for you. I use an Anchutz Clamp and the Acrylic Aperture inserts on the front. Or you could also use the adjustable Iris versions and also quite nice and that tap size is a M18 X .5 and there is plenty of wall thickness in the .095 seamless tubing.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #29 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I like the idea of a clamp and that would save me having to cut that oddball inside thread for an adapter. Cutting the outside 10-40 to fit the MVA on my Ballard will be easy but I am getting way ahead of myself since I haven't shot the Cadet yet with the new sight disk and that will be the proof. 

I for one would be interested in a tube sight thread if someone wants to open one. That is another area that I would to know more about. Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #30 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
The Anchutz clamp I speak of screws into the tube and requires the M18 X .5 threads. The clamp is made to hold their inserts but I just leave a shoulder in the tube for the clamp to push the less expensive acrylic inserts against to hold them in place. The clamp itself is only generally abit over nine dollars.

JLouis

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Do the math: 9.5 mm = 0.374" dia., 1 mm lead = 0.03937" 
0.3937 divided into one inch = 25.4 threads per inch - much closer to 24 tpi than 28 tpi.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Don all I can truthfully say is the 38 X 28UNF is what works for me and when I ordered two of the proper MM tap size designations from over Seas that is exactly what I received with a note saying it was the same as? 

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I might add the container was also marked as being the proper MM size but that was not what was in side it was the 3/8 X 28UNF along with the note included in the box they where shipped in. If memory serves me right I gave my second tap to Jerry Hartwig? and his container might still be marked in MM's all though it was also a 3/8 X 28 UNF inside mine has since wore off the container it came in or I would have also shared it. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:21pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
John not trying to be difficult just trying to understand the difference we are seeing. I am in the process of building a tube sight and do not want to do it more than once. Smiley

Just measured an Anchutz and a Gehmann and they both were .374" od and 1.0 mm leade. A 24 tpi was as I stated close, a 26 tpi gauge was very close but not exact, 28 tpi not close. Could your tap possibly be a 3/8"-26?

Sorry John just saw your last post.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
I know you are not trying to be difficult Don and I am only wanting to share what I used on all those I made for others and those I sold. The rear apretures by Gehmaan and others all screwed in very nicely. If you might feel I could be of some help with your project send me an e-mail to the below e-mail address. I still have the information for both a 28 and 30 inch tube sight in regards to the baffle placement and the various hole sizes for each of the four or five baffles I used depending on the tube length one wanted to use. The only real critical part is to insure the tube is completely black inside minus any and all stray light and how one goes about achieving that can very easily vary from one person to the next and that the tube is straight so it will center nicely in the rear mount. When done it should be the same as looking through a scope with all that you are seeing is the front apreture and nothing in between and the same as only seeing the crosshairs when looking through a scope. The way I made mine was pretty labor intensive / allot of time involved all though not at all that difficult to do. Straightining the tube was probably the more difficult part in all honesty if it required having to be done. 

johnnymlouis@gmail.com

JLouis

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
For what it is worth Victor Machinery Exchange is a good source for odd tap sizes. They have 16 3/8" taps listed from 10 to 80 tpi. Priced from $9.50 to $11.80.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I might add both taps I purchased were clearly marked 3/8 X 28UNF I just double checked and had I not gifted one I would have gladly gifted it to you. Hopefully Jerry H might also chime in if they were possibly miss marked I would have not known so. If memory serves me right I got the information from Gehmaan at the time for the right MM tap size and you might also want to do the same to be safe I just simply e-mailed that question and then went from there.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Don't I paid a bit over $90.00 for my M18X.5 for the front and a real bitch to find at the time but I now see at the link posted below this company is showing it for only $23.70 in HS steel and the same material as mine and you might have to scroll way down to find it. And thanks for sharing the same information before I also posted it and not realizing you were also doing the same when just now looking back.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:54pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #39 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
John, the tap I got from you is marked 3/8-28, on both the tap and container. I used it on a tube sight for Rich$ and it worked, but was tight.

Just going by memory (a bad thing) I once upon a time bought a Gehmann rear aperture from O.K. Weber. He loaned me a tap that he said was as close as you could get because the German threads were unique and not available as a standard tap. Pretty sure he said it was an English Cycle Thread at 3/8-26.

I'm not sure, only saying what I think I remember.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Jerry thank you so very much for your input! All though mine worked out very well for me I really don't have a clue to why yours did not? The last thing I want to do is to steer someone in the wrong direction as you well know so it does now have me a bit baffeled to the why's and how come's? and thanks again for sharing your own experience.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Don the way I set my own tube sight up all though I don't recommend doing so for others I can actually line up and center up all five holes in my baffles with the front apreture yet the interior is still void of all and any stray light and something I thought would be an added benefit for myself and it has actually worked out quite well. But I had also incurred some permanent vision loss in my right shooting eye from my stroke and I was trying to make up for it as well. I'am also curently thinking about selling it along with the real nice crisp clicking Unertl mounts but minus the rear apreture due to my eye sight now haven gotten even worse. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2018 at 12:17am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
John what are you making your baffles out of and what distance and hole size for a 30” tube. Bob

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Bob send me an e-mail so I can respond to your request.

johnnymlouis@gmail.com

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #44 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I can recommend Johns method for tube sites, with his much appreciated help I made this one, works a treat!!

Cheers Mal.

IP Logged

P1

Reply #45 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Since we are engaged in a bit of topic drift anyway. What is the advantage of the tube sight over separate front and rear sits?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Superior sight picture for myself and ease of use having the 1/4 minute clicks being the same as my Unertl.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
The top picture is the Anchutz 18MM Apreture Clamp Ring that I use for the Acrylic inserts that takee the M18X.5 Tap and cost only $10.00. Below it is but one of several 18MM adjustable types mine goes from 2.0 to 4.0 and by stating several I am referring to the various choices such as the cross bar shown, or crosshairs or on and on and price is very dependent on choice of Gehmann, Centra, Anchutz, Others and Apreture design. They all use the same M18X.5 thread design as do the Diopters, Sunshades and various other 18MM accessories. I might add they will all also screw into the front of the Anchutz clamp but not the various adjustable types and thus the clamp is by far the better choice for my own use. With the adjustable's you also have be careful it is not one of those used at the back of a sight as you can then see the back side of the adjustable iris and it might not appear to be round.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2018 at 2:44pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #48 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
I see what you mean about the clamp but I was thinking of a way to adapt my optical iris to the sight on my Ballard without having to cut a blind inside thread. I did find a cheap 3/8-28 tap that would work. I still need to shoot this but it has been very cold and blowing a gale here in eastern PA lately and it keeps blowing my chronograph screens over even with a weight. Maybe tomorrow. ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Ratseye I can only hope that something I might have shared has been somehow helpful for you. In all honesty when tapping the M18X.5 hole it has to bored very accuratly to spec. If a bit under or over due to the threads being so fine and shallow it really cannot be accomplished correctly and you end up with no threads or wiping them out while trying to tap and it really is that critical. With that being said and if possibly not having that capability I would very seriously take a real close look at Jerry H's approach and I am sure he would be more than happy to explain his entire process and what he uses on the front if so being required. One would be hard pressed to find a more willing individual who enjoys helping others and his approach would indeed be a high quality one.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2018 at 7:38pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #50 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
J, I think I may have lead you astray here by not being clear about my intentions. The optical disk sight I have seems to be the answer to my failing sight and I want to be able to pass it among several peep sighted guns by just making a couple of thread adapters. The thread on the peep is 9.5x1mm and the Ballard is 10x40 NF. My thought was to make a clamp to hold the optical sight with the right thread to fit the base on the Ballard and it would be easier all around. Now if I could get out and shoot it, I would be all set. Thanks for being patient. ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
My error and miss-understanding Ratseye my having permanent partial eye sight loss from a stroke back in 2011 I thought I was on the same page as you. I was thinking about what it was I had to do for myself to continue shooting the Iron Sight matches and should have been paying closer attention to what exactly what your own needs are.

JLouis

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #52 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
J, no harm done and I am happy to have learned more about this type of sight and add-on's that can go with it. Now if someone wants to start a tube sight thread I am sure there is even more to learn and ideas to toss around. I will post a report as soon as I can shoot the Cadet with this sight. Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #53 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
I said I would report when I finally shot the gun with the new peep sight. Today was it and I am more than happy. I know that this isn't much in the world of real competition shooters but I was at the point of selling my iron sighted guns because of not being able to see well enough. 

The rifle is a Martini Cadet in 32-20 WCF with an excellent bore. The load is IMR-4227 in Starline brass and a CCI-LR primer, using a bullet cast from a custom CBE 130 grain heeled bullet mold with my home made lube. That bullet is quite accurate in another Cadet of .310 caliber. This was before my vision started to really nose dive. So shooting this same load that the BEST I could do before in the 32-20 was a 7" shotgun spread, today's best was 1-1/4" for five at fifty yards. THAT my friends is a significant improvement and made me a believer. I think I can do better as I work on the adjustments but being able to see the front sight clearly and the target almost as well made a huge difference. It may not work for everyone but it sure helped me. Thanks for all your input, ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on your success! and indeed great news Ratseye.

JLouis

IP Logged

P1

Reply #55 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
There are 2 mentalities in people, fixed & growth.  Fixed people think there is nothing they can do to change their condition, growth types, like Ratseye, study & learn how to respond. We can all learn from this.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Indeed we can P1. I once had contact information for a fellow who made custom lens for the shooting community for a multitude of useful purposes outside of glasses. His speciality was sights and sighting corrections but unfortunately I have since lost it in a laptop crash and it wasn't really that expensive.

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #57 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 6:43am
Print Post  
I always believed that every problem has a solution if you never give up. I can attest to hundreds of ways to not do something before finding the answer. I am humbled by the level of knowledge and the willingness to share that this group has shown me. It is much appreciated. ratseye

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #58 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
jlouis, the 3/8-28 tap arrived the other day and I made a test piece to see how the thread worked. The sight threaded in about 5 turns before if started to bind and that should be enough to work for an adapter. I may make up a thin lock ring to hold things solidly. Going to try to complete the adapter this week and will post. Thanks for the tip as a 9.5x1mm tap has been impossible to find. ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately that is not how mine worked with my Gehmann rear apreture and I am not sure just why? Had I known I would have gladly sent you mine before purchasing yours to use on a test piece. Other than coming from China who supposedly had the correct Metric size and the only one I could find. All though the outside of the container was correctly marked in MM but not what was inside and noted as being the same. It worked out very well for me so I am completely baffled to why?

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #60 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 6:30pm:
Indeed we can P1. I once had contact information for a fellow who made custom lens for the shooting community for a multitude of useful purposes outside of glasses. His speciality was sights and sighting corrections but unfortunately I have since lost it in a laptop crash and it wasn't really that expensive.

Would this be what you are thinking about?          (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #61 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Actually no, that's not what I am making but might be something i could use in the future. I am making an adapter to use the Gehmann peep I have on my Cody Ballard and the thread on the peep is an oddball metric. 

jlouis, no problem with the tap size because I think the issue may be related to my choice of a very tight clearance as the fit is about 74% or tighter with the drill I used. I will go up one and see how that works. No matter I can work with it and it will be so much easier to make now and will be a great help. 

Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Here is Jones diopter set up for a tang sight.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #63 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 9:00am
Print Post  
I have 3 CPA that yes this set up, 80 year old eye needed help---------smillllin

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #64 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
I couldn't wait so I made the adapter as quick as I could. Here is the result. I can easily see the front sight clearly now and I can't wait to try it out. Need a break in the weather. Thanks to all again. ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
That's the fellow Kurt but I had a different use in mind at the time.

JLouis

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #66 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
With the Gehman sight, it looks like the sight would not fold down far enough for breech seating with the Ballard, CPA, etc. ?
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #67 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 5:18am
Print Post  
It holds it up pretty high but loading a cartridge isn't a problem. I have not tried breech seating yet so I don't have experience with the equipment or method to comment. The value for me is being able to see the front sight and target much better. Aesthetically, it doesn't fit at all but I'll suffer with that. Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Ratseye,
Indeed that setup may be good so that you can see the front sight.
But, that "tunnel" you must look thru must be exactly 
lined up with the front sight AT YOUR point of aim, distance
(with the tang sight at just the right angle) or you will possibly be looking thru a distorted OVAL tunnel view.
Been there done that....
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #69 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 7:21am
Print Post  
beltfed, 

You are correct about the "tunnel" and it will cause issues with the windage cranked over. The one shown is the first attempt and I saw what you are talking about so I made another with the absolute minimum dimensions for length and maximum hole size. The bigger hole brightened things up a bit too. I am a little concerned about strength now but have a good radius at the joint so I think it will hold. It is a trade off at best. Look through an oval or not see at all. 

Has been raining and cold and now warm and raining so there will be no testing for a couple of days. 

Merry Christmas to all! 

Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint