Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Optical Peep Sight (Read 16772 times)
P1

Re: Optical Peep Sight
Reply #45 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Since we are engaged in a bit of topic drift anyway. What is the advantage of the tube sight over separate front and rear sits?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Superior sight picture for myself and ease of use having the 1/4 minute clicks being the same as my Unertl.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
The top picture is the Anchutz 18MM Apreture Clamp Ring that I use for the Acrylic inserts that takee the M18X.5 Tap and cost only $10.00. Below it is but one of several 18MM adjustable types mine goes from 2.0 to 4.0 and by stating several I am referring to the various choices such as the cross bar shown, or crosshairs or on and on and price is very dependent on choice of Gehmann, Centra, Anchutz, Others and Apreture design. They all use the same M18X.5 thread design as do the Diopters, Sunshades and various other 18MM accessories. I might add they will all also screw into the front of the Anchutz clamp but not the various adjustable types and thus the clamp is by far the better choice for my own use. With the adjustable's you also have be careful it is not one of those used at the back of a sight as you can then see the back side of the adjustable iris and it might not appear to be round.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2018 at 2:44pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #48 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
I see what you mean about the clamp but I was thinking of a way to adapt my optical iris to the sight on my Ballard without having to cut a blind inside thread. I did find a cheap 3/8-28 tap that would work. I still need to shoot this but it has been very cold and blowing a gale here in eastern PA lately and it keeps blowing my chronograph screens over even with a weight. Maybe tomorrow. ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Ratseye I can only hope that something I might have shared has been somehow helpful for you. In all honesty when tapping the M18X.5 hole it has to bored very accuratly to spec. If a bit under or over due to the threads being so fine and shallow it really cannot be accomplished correctly and you end up with no threads or wiping them out while trying to tap and it really is that critical. With that being said and if possibly not having that capability I would very seriously take a real close look at Jerry H's approach and I am sure he would be more than happy to explain his entire process and what he uses on the front if so being required. One would be hard pressed to find a more willing individual who enjoys helping others and his approach would indeed be a high quality one.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2018 at 7:38pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #50 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
J, I think I may have lead you astray here by not being clear about my intentions. The optical disk sight I have seems to be the answer to my failing sight and I want to be able to pass it among several peep sighted guns by just making a couple of thread adapters. The thread on the peep is 9.5x1mm and the Ballard is 10x40 NF. My thought was to make a clamp to hold the optical sight with the right thread to fit the base on the Ballard and it would be easier all around. Now if I could get out and shoot it, I would be all set. Thanks for being patient. ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
My error and miss-understanding Ratseye my having permanent partial eye sight loss from a stroke back in 2011 I thought I was on the same page as you. I was thinking about what it was I had to do for myself to continue shooting the Iron Sight matches and should have been paying closer attention to what exactly what your own needs are.

JLouis

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #52 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
J, no harm done and I am happy to have learned more about this type of sight and add-on's that can go with it. Now if someone wants to start a tube sight thread I am sure there is even more to learn and ideas to toss around. I will post a report as soon as I can shoot the Cadet with this sight. Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #53 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
I said I would report when I finally shot the gun with the new peep sight. Today was it and I am more than happy. I know that this isn't much in the world of real competition shooters but I was at the point of selling my iron sighted guns because of not being able to see well enough. 

The rifle is a Martini Cadet in 32-20 WCF with an excellent bore. The load is IMR-4227 in Starline brass and a CCI-LR primer, using a bullet cast from a custom CBE 130 grain heeled bullet mold with my home made lube. That bullet is quite accurate in another Cadet of .310 caliber. This was before my vision started to really nose dive. So shooting this same load that the BEST I could do before in the 32-20 was a 7" shotgun spread, today's best was 1-1/4" for five at fifty yards. THAT my friends is a significant improvement and made me a believer. I think I can do better as I work on the adjustments but being able to see the front sight clearly and the target almost as well made a huge difference. It may not work for everyone but it sure helped me. Thanks for all your input, ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on your success! and indeed great news Ratseye.

JLouis

IP Logged

P1

Reply #55 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
There are 2 mentalities in people, fixed & growth.  Fixed people think there is nothing they can do to change their condition, growth types, like Ratseye, study & learn how to respond. We can all learn from this.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Indeed we can P1. I once had contact information for a fellow who made custom lens for the shooting community for a multitude of useful purposes outside of glasses. His speciality was sights and sighting corrections but unfortunately I have since lost it in a laptop crash and it wasn't really that expensive.

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #57 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 6:43am
Print Post  
I always believed that every problem has a solution if you never give up. I can attest to hundreds of ways to not do something before finding the answer. I am humbled by the level of knowledge and the willingness to share that this group has shown me. It is much appreciated. ratseye

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #58 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
jlouis, the 3/8-28 tap arrived the other day and I made a test piece to see how the thread worked. The sight threaded in about 5 turns before if started to bind and that should be enough to work for an adapter. I may make up a thin lock ring to hold things solidly. Going to try to complete the adapter this week and will post. Thanks for the tip as a 9.5x1mm tap has been impossible to find. ratseye

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately that is not how mine worked with my Gehmann rear apreture and I am not sure just why? Had I known I would have gladly sent you mine before purchasing yours to use on a test piece. Other than coming from China who supposedly had the correct Metric size and the only one I could find. All though the outside of the container was correctly marked in MM but not what was inside and noted as being the same. It worked out very well for me so I am completely baffled to why?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint