Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Optical Peep Sight (Read 16774 times)
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Optical Peep Sight
Reply #15 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
You must have the right amount of light to your eye so an adjustable aperture is number one.

You can improve your scores by selecting the right focus or balance of sharpness between your front sight and the target so I believe the adjustable diopter is essential.

Every time I have tested using the colour filters or the dual polarizer; I always got better scores using straight light to my eye, so I do not value these add ons.

These other addons make you believe you are seeing a better sight picture.
However the apparently improved sight picture did squat for improving my scores; rather they actually slightly decreased my scores after numerous trials.

Then the precision of adjustment of your sight is the next most important thing.

I strongly believe it is better to have 1/8 or 1/10 MOA adjustments so you can better select your point of aim.

With a scope you can hold off but with iron sights you need the fine accuracy of adjustment if you are going to have an edge in competition.

I do not think 1/4 MOA adjustments will shoot fine enough to win competitions because there are some pretty strong competitors out there.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:38pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Red Cent
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Life is too short to argue with stupid people
and/or drink cheap booze

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #17 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
I screwed one of those #530's into the tube sight I built and it definitely helped my iron sight scores.  Agree with Schützendaves's views on adjustment.  I got mine from Champions Choice - believe they are $140 now.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #18 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Joe:

I have been considering whether I should build a 28" long tube sight to use the 17" spaced blocks on some of my Black Powder rifles.

I have a MVA Schuetzen Rear Mount I was considering using and was considering using an adjustable front aperture.

Just trying to figure out what to do with some spare parts I have sitting around.

Any thoughts on constructing such an item?

How has the California emergencies affected you? and the rest of the Schuetzen shooters down there?

Might put it on the .50-70 Rolling Block I am building which will also be using a 28" MVA scope as well.

Dave
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:56pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
I mostly use Baldwin sights, or did when I could see well enough. Does anyone know about thread compatibility or adaptors between the two products?

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #20 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Dave, your experience confirms what I was thinking about the extras. I would suppose the polarizing filters would help if there was a strong reflection off the face of the target. I am thinking it could happen on a metallic silhouette in certain light but I have never experienced it. The color filters might cut haze and increase contrast but might cut down on the light going through. For me I need all the light I can get to see. The device certainly opens a lot of possibilities with other sight systems. That tube sight set up is very interesting. ratseye

IP Logged

Steve Miller

Reply #21 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know about or use any of the sight discs offered by the Merit Corporation? They also offer a lens disc. Has anyone ever used one of these?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Is it optically or scientifically possible to have a lens in the rear sight and one in the front sight so this combination functions just like a telescopic sight? 

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I like the color filters. I don't use them all the time but they have there time and place to use. The green and blue will make a red target appear black. Yellow works great in lower light. I prefer the merit and parker hale adjustable for how far they close down over the Anschutz and Gehmann but that's not saying they don't do a good job. JMO

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #23 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
As I recall, the thread on the Gehman is an oddball metric.  It's close to a US size - maybe 3/8 - 24 ?   In my own case, that's what I used and it acted somewhat like a pipe thread - turned in two or three threads and started to tighten up - worked fine for my application.  I had no luck trying to find out the thread sizes for their adaptor (577).

California fires have not affected us this far south Dave, but the devastation up north is hard to see.

We should probably start a new thread for tube sights so as not to derail this one.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Joe, I think you are right. It must be a proprietary thread as I measure the OD at 0.368" or 9.36 mm and this doesn't match up with anything I know. The pitch looks to be 1 mm. I haven't tried to measure the adapter thread yet. 

This is my first experience with optical sight disks so I am just getting to know these things.

Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
The thread is 9.5 x 1 metric.

It is very close to a 3/8 x 24, will actually engage it about 3-4 threads before it binds.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #26 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Don, 

You beat me to it. I went back to the Gehmann site and found the thread listed at 9.5x1mm as you said. It must be special as I cannot find that size listed as standard anywhere. A lot of makers do that so you have to buy their stuff. 

Looking around the site I did find something interesting and that is an adjustable spherical adapter. I have an astigmatism as a result of some of the surgery on my eye and even that can be corrected with this adapter. I never realized this stuff was out there but then I never shot Olympic style guns or equipment. Just amazing technology. 

ratseye

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the thread info. Interesting possibilities. At the worst, more stuff for the heirs to wonder at and toss.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
It is actually 3/8 X 28 UNF and per-say the same as the Metric version and that is why the 3/8 X 24 would not thread all the way in for you. I use an Anchutz Clamp and the Acrylic Aperture inserts on the front. Or you could also use the adjustable Iris versions and also quite nice and that tap size is a M18 X .5 and there is plenty of wall thickness in the .095 seamless tubing.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #29 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I like the idea of a clamp and that would save me having to cut that oddball inside thread for an adapter. Cutting the outside 10-40 to fit the MVA on my Ballard will be easy but I am getting way ahead of myself since I haven't shot the Cadet yet with the new sight disk and that will be the proof. 

I for one would be interested in a tube sight thread if someone wants to open one. That is another area that I would to know more about. Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint