Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Optical Peep Sight (Read 16781 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Optical Peep Sight
Reply #30 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
The Anchutz clamp I speak of screws into the tube and requires the M18 X .5 threads. The clamp is made to hold their inserts but I just leave a shoulder in the tube for the clamp to push the less expensive acrylic inserts against to hold them in place. The clamp itself is only generally abit over nine dollars.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Do the math: 9.5 mm = 0.374" dia., 1 mm lead = 0.03937" 
0.3937 divided into one inch = 25.4 threads per inch - much closer to 24 tpi than 28 tpi.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Don all I can truthfully say is the 38 X 28UNF is what works for me and when I ordered two of the proper MM tap size designations from over Seas that is exactly what I received with a note saying it was the same as? 

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I might add the container was also marked as being the proper MM size but that was not what was in side it was the 3/8 X 28UNF along with the note included in the box they where shipped in. If memory serves me right I gave my second tap to Jerry Hartwig? and his container might still be marked in MM's all though it was also a 3/8 X 28 UNF inside mine has since wore off the container it came in or I would have also shared it. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:21pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
John not trying to be difficult just trying to understand the difference we are seeing. I am in the process of building a tube sight and do not want to do it more than once. Smiley

Just measured an Anchutz and a Gehmann and they both were .374" od and 1.0 mm leade. A 24 tpi was as I stated close, a 26 tpi gauge was very close but not exact, 28 tpi not close. Could your tap possibly be a 3/8"-26?

Sorry John just saw your last post.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
I know you are not trying to be difficult Don and I am only wanting to share what I used on all those I made for others and those I sold. The rear apretures by Gehmaan and others all screwed in very nicely. If you might feel I could be of some help with your project send me an e-mail to the below e-mail address. I still have the information for both a 28 and 30 inch tube sight in regards to the baffle placement and the various hole sizes for each of the four or five baffles I used depending on the tube length one wanted to use. The only real critical part is to insure the tube is completely black inside minus any and all stray light and how one goes about achieving that can very easily vary from one person to the next and that the tube is straight so it will center nicely in the rear mount. When done it should be the same as looking through a scope with all that you are seeing is the front apreture and nothing in between and the same as only seeing the crosshairs when looking through a scope. The way I made mine was pretty labor intensive / allot of time involved all though not at all that difficult to do. Straightining the tube was probably the more difficult part in all honesty if it required having to be done. 

johnnymlouis@gmail.com

JLouis

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
For what it is worth Victor Machinery Exchange is a good source for odd tap sizes. They have 16 3/8" taps listed from 10 to 80 tpi. Priced from $9.50 to $11.80.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I might add both taps I purchased were clearly marked 3/8 X 28UNF I just double checked and had I not gifted one I would have gladly gifted it to you. Hopefully Jerry H might also chime in if they were possibly miss marked I would have not known so. If memory serves me right I got the information from Gehmaan at the time for the right MM tap size and you might also want to do the same to be safe I just simply e-mailed that question and then went from there.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Don't I paid a bit over $90.00 for my M18X.5 for the front and a real bitch to find at the time but I now see at the link posted below this company is showing it for only $23.70 in HS steel and the same material as mine and you might have to scroll way down to find it. And thanks for sharing the same information before I also posted it and not realizing you were also doing the same when just now looking back.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:54pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #39 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
John, the tap I got from you is marked 3/8-28, on both the tap and container. I used it on a tube sight for Rich$ and it worked, but was tight.

Just going by memory (a bad thing) I once upon a time bought a Gehmann rear aperture from O.K. Weber. He loaned me a tap that he said was as close as you could get because the German threads were unique and not available as a standard tap. Pretty sure he said it was an English Cycle Thread at 3/8-26.

I'm not sure, only saying what I think I remember.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Jerry thank you so very much for your input! All though mine worked out very well for me I really don't have a clue to why yours did not? The last thing I want to do is to steer someone in the wrong direction as you well know so it does now have me a bit baffeled to the why's and how come's? and thanks again for sharing your own experience.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Don the way I set my own tube sight up all though I don't recommend doing so for others I can actually line up and center up all five holes in my baffles with the front apreture yet the interior is still void of all and any stray light and something I thought would be an added benefit for myself and it has actually worked out quite well. But I had also incurred some permanent vision loss in my right shooting eye from my stroke and I was trying to make up for it as well. I'am also curently thinking about selling it along with the real nice crisp clicking Unertl mounts but minus the rear apreture due to my eye sight now haven gotten even worse. 

JLouis
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2018 at 12:17am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
John what are you making your baffles out of and what distance and hole size for a 30” tube. Bob

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Bob send me an e-mail so I can respond to your request.

johnnymlouis@gmail.com

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #44 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I can recommend Johns method for tube sites, with his much appreciated help I made this one, works a treat!!

Cheers Mal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint