Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anybody shooting .25rf Stevens? (Read 35403 times)
WillH

Anybody shooting .25rf Stevens?
Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
I just made up some cases from .22 Hornet; worked out well;  now I need bullets; .251 drops right through the bore so slugged it at .258. I need .258 dia. 67 grain bullets or thereabouts. I find 49 grain and 87 grain bullets; nothing mid 60's. Any leads? Thanks

AIM  
IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Re: Anybody shooting .25rf Stevens?
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
This place has some;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I've had good luck ordering from them but sometimes delivery takes a week and sometimes a month. It's a one man operation I guess.

Steve   Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
How are you shooting .25RF with a CF Hornet case? Is your firing pin reworked? Are you turning the rims down for diameter and thickness?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Vall,

Seem to remember Chev Williams posting on this forum (and on Cast Boolits) about using 5.7x28 brass to make up the 25 CF cases that would fit unmodified 25 RF chambers.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

WillH

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:40am
Print Post  
sureshot wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:46pm:
This place has some;

I've had good luck ordering from them but sometimes delivery takes a week and sometimes a month. It's a one man operation I guess.

Steve   Smiley

It does look like the right diameter and weight bullet but I didn't like the shipping cost or the minimum order. I ordered from Hunters Supply although slightly heavier weight. Thanks though.

Will

AIM  
IP Logged

WillH

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:52am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 7:11pm:
How are you shooting .25RF with a CF Hornet case? Is your firing pin reworked? Are you turning the rims down for diameter and thickness?

Sort of following Chev Williams guide lines; expand, resize and shorten the Hornet case, bore out the primer pocket to accept .22 short primed case, bullet pulled. My gun was originally .22rf so firing pin right; not sure if original .25rf pin location would work; no alteration to head diameter or thickness.

AIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:45am
Print Post  
sureshot wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:46pm:
This place has some;

Steve   Smiley

I ordered from him.  Yes, he's slow and doesn't answer emails, but I did get some nice bullets.  Still have to finish the seemingly endless task of converting .17WMR shells to .25 Stevens, at which I've been stalled for months.  Embarrassed    It's gonna work, but I no longer think it's worth the effort.  

What are people using for a die to size down the Hornet cases?    

BTW a #1 or maybe #2 Ramset .22 charge ought to be right for the .25 Stevens.  Cheap, and you can buy 'em on Amazon!  

Been beta testing some in .32 Long RF adapters that tenmile is tooling up to make. 
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:51am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Surprised the cases fit with the larger rim diameter of the Hornet? There's about .011" difference in diameters, and a fair difference in thickness too. I suppose some tolerance in the chamber cuts on certain barrels might allow it. I'll have to check mine to see if this is possible, and if my chamber cut allows for the difference.

IP Logged

WillH

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
"What are people using for a die to size down the Hornet cases?"

Lee .25 acp  with carbide sizing die.

Hornet rim dimensions work great on my Tip up; extractor fits good also.

Best idea; if you want to shoot, forget the .25 Stevens; reline to .22rf and be done with it. I've wasted too much money and time and still haven't fired a shot. Could have put in a $35.00 liner in a couple hrs and been shooting long ago. 

Will

AIM  
IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Once you get the Hornet cases modified, a 65 gc cast bullet without the gas check works well. There is usually some sort of cheap 22 LR ammo available to pull apart and use as a primer, and with black powder level pressures, your cases should last forever. See the article in the June 2010 SSE for details.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
WillH wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 1:42pm:
Best idea; if you want to shoot, forget the .25 Stevens; reline to .22rf and be done with it. I've wasted too much money and time and still haven't fired a shot. Could have put in a $35.00 liner in a couple hrs and been shooting long ago. 

Will

Yeah, but any fule can do that.  Roll Eyes  No style points. No degree-of-difficulty points, either.   Cheesy

<div class=

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Question: have any of you using .22rf 'primer' in bored out cases ever get the recess peened by the firing pin's strike? How long do they really last, or do you rework/discard after a while?
I've never seen anybody using this, so I gotta ask here.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Calledflyer, I haven't worked with a 25 but have done quite a bit with the 32's. If the firing pin is simple to make I make another one out of W1 rod, removing the lower portion that does not contact the primer blank. That will leave an area that looks like a football. I then thin away the sides of that "football" to form a pin strike similar to a more modern .22 rifle. That way, nothing hits the .32 case and I seem to get more reliable ignition with the narrower pin strike. The .32 cases I use I am making from 32S&W that I reform. I custom fit them to each gun so no resizing is needed and they seem to last forever. By doing the cases this way it is not needed to cut a relief in the 32 case to allow the pin to crush the primer. I should also note this method is for guns the the firing pin is situated so that it will hit the blank in the center of the 32 case. Doing it this way eliminates having to orient the cartridge in the chamber. I do have one rifle, a Stevens 44, that the pin strike is low enough I have to use offset/oriented cases. Even though they are weaker because of the milled recess for the firing pin they seem to be "Everlasting". I am guessing this has a lot to do with low pressure. If you keep the firing pin away from the 32 case no peening will take place. Thinking back, I did have that happen at first but modifying the firing pin made it go away.

Dennis

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I have used the Western bullet mentioned before and both of these from an Arsenal mold. All three are pretty good for 2"-3" spinners out to 75 yards or so.
3-3.2 of Trail boss.

It takes 3 1/2-4 hours to convert and load fifty rounds of 17 WSM. Every box gets a bit better. I am down to only losing 1-2 out of 50 to split necks

Pull bullets, neck size .17, Trim .020" then neck up .22, .243, .257 Final trim and load.

60 grain FB (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
70 grain GC (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I have ran a couple of five shot groups using Hornady 60 grain jacketed. Those end up with 3 touching and all five under an inch at 50. Considering the quality of the converted brass I am pretty happy with the results.

Definitely a labor of love, or too much free time. Undecided

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Chamber dimensions on old guns seem to vary, but on my relatively unworn Stevens Marksman, machining the Hornet case to accept a .22LR case left about .030" thickness on the rim, which has been pretty durable so far, with no signs of distortion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Send TopicPrint