Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help needed to ID (Read 24455 times)
Watchnguns

Help needed to ID
Jan 14th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Hey everyone!  I need some help ID’ing this 22.  Based on the the research I’ve done it appears to at least be based on a Stevens?  There are no brand marks that I can find, only a serial number. Any help is appreciated. Jeff

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Re: Help needed to ID
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Another picture

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Yes, it's some kind of customized Stevens derivative based on the 44-type swinging-block action.  Wonder if it could be one of the repro Favorites turned out by Savage in the '80s & '90s?  Although I think they all had S-shaped levers, and were clearly marked Savage.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:17pm:
Yes, it's some kind of customized Stevens derivative based on the 44-type swinging-block action.  Wonder if it could be one of the repro Favorites turned out by Savage in the '80s & '90s?  Although I think they all had S-shaped levers, and were clearly marked Savage.

Thank you!!!  Do you think it’s safe to shoot 22 LR or should I stick with 22 shorts? Thanks again!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
I think it is a worked-over 47 on a 44 action.  I have seen that sort of finish on actions that were hot blued.  Remove the fore-end and look at the face of the action.  There should be code numbers stamped there.  If you remove the buttstock, a look at the mainspring and the post that holds it in place will tell a bit more.

Is it rifled for Shorts (about 1:25) or is it rifled 1:16 for Long Rifles?  Stevens 44 actions make dandy .22 rimfires.  If it is in reasonably sound condition, Long Rifles will not be a problem, but standard velocity ammo will give better results.  If it has an original Stevens barrel (roll marks & SN on the bottom of the barrel) and if the bore is good, you may be surprised at the accuracy.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:41pm by waterman »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:35pm:
I think it is a worked-over 47 on a 44 action. 

If so, the trigger has been replaced--no 47 was ever fitted with such an ugly thick trigger.  And though 47s had a loop-lever, this one is--how shall I put it?--coarse looking; just not up to Stevens' quality standards.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
I think it is a worked-over 47 on a 44 action.  I have seen that sort of finish on actions that were hot blued.  Remove the fore-end and look at the face of the action.  There should be code numbers stamped there.  If you remove the buttstock, a look at the mainspring and the post that holds it in place will tell a bit more.

Is it rifled for Shorts (about 1:25) or is it rifled 1:16 for Long Rifles?  Stevens 44 actions make dandy .22 rimfires.  If it is in reasonably sound condition, Long Rifles will not be a problem, but standard velocity ammo will give better results.  If it has an original Stevens barrel (roll marks & SN on the bottom of the barrel) and if the bore is good, you may be surprised at the accuracy.

Waterman..thank you! How can the layman tell the rifling?  Here are the picture and I could not find any markings. 

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Receiver 

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:44pm:
I think it is a worked-over 47 on a 44 action. 

If so, the trigger has been replaced--no 47 was ever fitted with such an ugly thick trigger.  And though 47s had a loop-lever, this one is--how shall I put it?--coarse looking; just not up to Stevens' quality standards.

I take it you’re not a fan of my 22.  Grin j/k

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:30pm:

I take it you’re not a fan of my 22.  Grin j/k [/quote]

I'm not a fan of ANY mass-produced repro, if, as I suspect, that's what it is; if you'd ever had a Stevens 47 in your hands, you'd know what I'm talking about.  Even the modern and well-made Savage Favorite repros are clunky compared to the originals.

However, as a plinker, it may be as good as any; although any unmarked gun should arouse one's suspicions as to quality.   

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:58pm:
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:30pm:

I take it you’re not a fan of my 22.  Grin j/k

I'm not a fan of ANY mass-produced repro, if, as I suspect, that's what it is; if you'd ever had a Stevens 47 in your hands, you'd know what I'm talking about.  Even the modern and well-made Savage Favorite repros are clunky compared to the originals.

However, as a plinker, it may be as good as any; although any unmarked gun should arouse one's suspicions as to quality.  
[/quote

I’m sorry if you took my comment seriously..it was meant to be tongue and cheek. 

Who made mass production versions of the 44 or 47? This could definitely be what it is.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:14pm:
Who made mass production versions of the 44 or 47?

Nobody except Savage after they bought out Stevens about 1920.

The lack of markings makes me wonder if it could be of foreign-origin, and some of the South American countries like Brazil have produced numerous knock-offs of US-designed guns; however, those imported into the US are usually marked.   

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
A better size picture.

diffidently a repo.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
I don’t think it’s a Stevens.  Ledball

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:07pm:
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 2:14pm:
Who made mass production versions of the 44 or 47?

Nobody except Savage after they bought out Stevens about 1920.

The lack of markings makes me wonder if it could be of foreign-origin, and some of the South American countries like Brazil have produced numerous knock-offs of US-designed guns; however, those imported into the US are usually marked.   

Thank you!

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:21pm:
A better size picture.

diffidently a repo.

Frank

Thank you!!

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:41pm:
I don’t think it’s a Stevens.  Ledball

Thank you!!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
An old Stevens it is not.  I am curious about the mainspring.  Is it a flat spring like a 44 action or a coil spring with a push rod like a 417?  The stock must be removed to find out for sure.  Although pulling the trigger on a fired case might give a clue.  A coiled mainspring will probably give a stiff trigger pull.  A flat mainspring may be a bit easier.

Whatever the source of the reproduction, it is what it is.   I would try it with some sort of standard velocity Long Rifles at 100 yards, off sandbags & a stiff bench.  If the bullets go through the target at an angle, try it with Shorts.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:10pm:
An old Stevens it is not.  I am curious about the mainspring.  Is it a flat spring like a 44 action or a coil spring with a push rod like a 417?  The stock must be removed to find out for sure.  Although pulling the trigger on a fired case might give a clue.  A coiled mainspring will probably give a stiff trigger pull.  A flat mainspring may be a bit easier.

Whatever the source of the reproduction, it is what it is.   I would try it with some sort of standard velocity Long Rifles at 100 yards, off sandbags & a stiff bench.  If the bullets go through the target at an angle, try it with Shorts.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll try standard ammo and see how it goes. It has a flat mainspring? but it attaches to the top of the receiver vs an “S” and attaching to the bottom.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
A little history on this gun...this elderly lady’s husband had passed away and she brought 12 guns to the neighborhood gun store. I ended up purchasing all 12. I ended up paying about $70 per gun so I don’t think I got stung too bad. 

I purchased the below in addition.
1 Winchester Model 12
2 Stevens 22/410. 
1 Ithaca 37
5 black powder revolvers
1 IJ 38 
1 NAA 22

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Spring

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #21 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:11pm:
Spring

Thanks Frank!!  Not sure how to resize pictures. I’ll have to ask my teenagers when they get home.  Grin

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Is that an improvement on the Stevens 44 flat spring after all these years?   

The Stevens was held in place by tension between the hammer and a cylindrical block screwed into the lower (and much longer) tang.  Later versions had the mainspring fastened to the lower tang with a screw.  Not better as far as trigger pull was concerned.  Coil mainspring & push rod also worked off lower tang.  Trigger pull was worse than flat spring.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I'm really curious as to the origin of the rifle.  I've never seen anything like it.  Could it be a home workshop project?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
The general styling as can be seen in the full-length photo is not that bad for a modern repro, except for the horribly botched "blueing."  But what's that medallion on the pistol grip?  Maybe some clue to its nationality?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:51pm:
A little history on this gun...this elderly lady’s husband had passed away and she brought 12 guns to the neighborhood gun store. I ended up purchasing all 12. I ended up paying about $70 per gun so I don’t think I got stung too bad. 

1 Winchester Model 12
2 Stevens 22/410. 
1 Ithaca 37
5 black powder revolvers
1 IJ 38 
1 NAA 22

The Stevens/Savage over & under is a nice item, esp. if it's an earlier one.  I had one with the 20 g. brl. about 50 yrs ago and thought very well of it...until someone stole it out of my truck.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I would say you got a great deal on the bulk purchase. Not sure exactly what you have there but it is interesting. To me it looks like a Stevens 44 that someone took a lot of time modifiying. The lever is way too thick to be made by Stevens and not sure if the Stevens frame is wide enough for it. The lower tang would have to have been shortened if it is a Stevens. The purple blueing on the reciever looks like a typical Stevens that has been hot blued. For what you paid, see how it shoots and have fun with it.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #27 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:28pm:
The general styling as can be seen in the full-length photo is not that bad for a modern repro, except for the horribly botched "blueing."  But what's that medallion on the pistol grip?  Maybe some clue to its nationality?

The quality of the gun is not terrible, seems to be on par with most of the other guns I have. I’ve never handled a Stevens 44 so can give a comparison. Also I believe the medallion on the pistol grip was added by the original owner.  Several of the guns I purchased had these. Thank you!

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #28 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:48pm:
I would say you got a great deal on the bulk purchase. Not sure exactly what you have there but it is interesting. To me it looks like a Stevens 44 that someone took a lot of time modifiying. The lever is way too thick to be made by Stevens and not sure if the Stevens frame is wide enough for it. The lower tang would have to have been shortened if it is a Stevens. The purple blueing on the reciever looks like a typical Stevens that has been hot blued. For what you paid, see how it shoots and have fun with it.

I agree, I’m just going to take it out and have fun. I did shoot a couple 22 shorts through it but decided to hold off until I knew more about it.   Thank you!! 

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #29 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:33pm:
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:51pm:

1 Winchester Model 12
2 Stevens 22/410. 
1 Ithaca 37
5 black powder revolvers
1 IJ 38 
1 NAA 22

The Stevens/Savage over & under is a nice item, esp. if it's an earlier one.  I had one with the 20 g. brl. about 50 yrs ago and thought very well of it...until someone stole it out of my truck.

That’s terrible that someone stole your gun. Angry The Stevens 22/410 are neat guns.  One of them is stamped USAF on the receiver which is cool and probably bumps the value a little. Thank you!

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #30 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:27pm:
I'm really curious as to the origin of the rifle.  I've never seen anything like it.  Could it be a home workshop project?

I have probably spent 10+ hours worth of time googling and reading, trying to figure out this stupid thing.  I figured if anyone would know what this is, it would be you guys.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:19pm:
The Stevens 22/410 are neat guns.  One of them is stamped USAF on the receiver which is cool and probably bumps the value a little.

More than a little, I suspect, if it's one of those purchased by AF during WW II for use as survival weapons by aircrews shot down in enemy territory.  These guns had plastic stocks, which were used when they were being made by Stevens before the war.  Those made by Savage after the war used wooden stocks.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #32 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:09pm:
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:19pm:
The Stevens 22/410 are neat guns.  One of them is stamped USAF on the receiver which is cool and probably bumps the value a little.

More than a little, I suspect, if it's one of those purchased by AF during WW II for use as survival weapons by aircrews shot down in enemy territory.  These guns had plastic stocks, which were used when they were being made by Stevens before the war.  Those made by Savage after the war used wooden stocks.

Both guns guns are the first virsion with the tenite stocks. Not sure it’s ok to post a picture since they don’t follow the guidelines? 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:26pm:
I have probably spent 10+ hours worth of time googling and reading, trying to figure out this stupid thing.  I figured if anyone would know what this is, it would be you guys.

But even us know-it-alls find it hard to keep track of guns produced in foreign countries for native usage, which might account for lack of markings.  My wild guess would be Latin America, as even the cheapest-made US guns sold by hardware stores, mail-order catalogs, etc., were given some kind of markings.  Can't believe it's a home-workshop project, either.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:19pm:
Both guns guns are the first virsion with the tenite stocks. Not sure it’s ok to post a picture since they don’t follow the guidelines? 

10,000 were purchased by AF. Very knowledgeable military collectors at this site:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #35 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:20pm:
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:26pm:

But even us know-it-alls find it hard to keep track of guns produced in foreign countries for native usage, which might account for lack of markings.  My wild guess would be Latin America, as even the cheapest-made US guns sold by hardware stores, mail-order catalogs, etc., were given some kind of markings.  Can't believe it's a home-workshop project, either.

It’s just crazy that I can’t find anything on it.  I’ve google copy, reproduction, no markings etc. and have come up empty.  You would think if it was produced in any sort of numbers, I’d find something. The mystery of it is intriguing to me.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #36 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:24pm:
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 7:19pm:

10,000 were purchased by AF. Very knowledgeable military collectors at this site:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wow...Thank you! 

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
From the peculiar color and the general fit and finish, I'm inclined to say that's a heavily reworked Stevens 44. Tang trimmed to allow the pistol grip, spring moved to allow the trimmed tang, enough material removed from what was probably a badly pitted surface to disappear any markings. Small parts were probably all re-made from scratch. This definitely has the looks of advanced mid-century home workshop gunsmithing. 

Watchnguns, if that one top tang screw is the only thing that secures the action to the stock, be careful not to let it lever itself apart, as that's definitely be a weak point in the redesign. Pushing down on the wrist of the stock while pushing up on the muzzle could likely bend or break that tang. If you're shooting from the bench, you probably shouldn't lean too hard on it with your cheek.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #38 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Marlene wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:24pm:
From the peculiar color and the general fit and finish, I'm inclined to say that's a heavily reworked Stevens 44. Tang trimmed to allow the pistol grip, spring moved to allow the trimmed tang, enough material removed from what was probably a badly pitted surface to disappear any markings. Small parts were probably all re-made from scratch. This definitely has the looks of advanced mid-century home workshop gunsmithing. 

Watchnguns, if that one top tang screw is the only thing that secures the action to the stock, be careful not to let it lever itself apart, as that's definitely be a weak point in the redesign. Pushing down on the wrist of the stock while pushing up on the muzzle could likely bend or break that tang. If you're shooting from the bench, you probably shouldn't lean too hard on it with your cheek.

Thank you for your insight and advise. I can see how too much pressure could definitely damage things.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Marlene wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:24pm:
From the peculiar color and the general fit and finish, I'm inclined to say that's a heavily reworked Stevens 44. Tang trimmed to allow the pistol grip, spring moved to allow the trimmed tang, enough material removed from what was probably a badly pitted surface to disappear any markings.

Stevens rcvrs. had no markings on the sides until Savage assumed control after 1920.  But this rcvr. does exhibit a stamped number on one side, so it hasn't been ground down to remove pitting; and even if it had been badly pitted, there would have been no need to obliterate the Stevens model no. markings on the front face of the rcvr.  The forearm stud on the front face of the rcvr. isn't Stevens either, nor the lever & trigger. The upper tang isn't D&T for a tang sight, as all Stevens-made rcvrs. were. 

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #40 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Ah, I missed the stamped number. 

That nub on the front of the receiver doesn't look to me like it's part of the frame casting.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Hard to get the scale from the photos, but if it’s a 44, it’s an old model, with screws instead of bolts for the block and lever.

I would guess, from the screws and the wide hole that used to hold the takedown screw, that somebody took an 1894 Favorite receiver and block, adapted a 1915 Favorite hammer and trigger to fit, cut or dressed the lower tang off (removing the code or serial number thereby), welded a Stevens lever top to a Marlin lever action lever (or maybe copied the whole thing; from the bluing, it’s all real steel rather than malleable iron), adapted a Marlin 39 buttstock to fit, (maybe) made the forend out of matching wood, repositioned the mainspring to the top tang, mounted a scope on the side, rebarreled it and responsibly stamped a new serial number (or maybe the old code number) on the side to satisfy the ATF people.

Does the buttplate say “Stevens” or have a scrolled “S” on it?  Or does it say “Fajen” or “Marlin” or maybe nothing?  It looks to me like a pretty impressive example of home-shop work; even admirable in some respects.  That locating stud on the front of the receiver for the forend is actually a good idea.  Is there a metal block in the top of the grip to fit the one screw left on the upper tang?  I would think that the builder would have done something like that to ensure the integrity of the buttstock fitting as well.

My first gun-building effort started with a 94 Favorite action, a scrounged barrel and a walnut board from Austin Hardwoods.  It taught me a lot about Single Shot riflesmithing.  There’s some inherent Coolness in that model that induces amateurs to bring them back from the junk pile.  If the local specialist with the buffing wheel and the bluing tanks didn’t exactly know what he was doing, well, that’s the luck of the draw.

All speculation, of course.  How does it shoot?  If it closes up tightly, Standard Velocity LR should be OK.  Avoid Hi-Speed.

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:05am
Print Post  
I agree with Bent-Ramrod. There is a lot more Favorite than 44 in that receiver. The normal stampings on the breech face for a 44 are missing and the action screws are more typical of a Favorite in style and location. Serial numbers on receiver are neatly stamped below the scope mount, indicating they have been added rather than original.

It would help to know the thickness of the receiver.

Jim H.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #43 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:54am:
Hard to get the scale from the photos, but if it’s a 44, it’s an old model, with screws instead of bolts for the block and lever.

I would guess, from the screws and the wide hole that used to hold the takedown screw, that somebody took an 1894 Favorite receiver and block, adapted a 1915 Favorite hammer and trigger to fit, cut or dressed the lower tang off (removing the code or serial number thereby), welded a Stevens lever top to a Marlin lever action lever (or maybe copied the whole thing; from the bluing, it’s all real steel rather than malleable iron), adapted a Marlin 39 buttstock to fit, (maybe) made the forend out of matching wood, repositioned the mainspring to the top tang, mounted a scope on the side, rebarreled it and responsibly stamped a new serial number (or maybe the old code number) on the side to satisfy the ATF people.

Does the buttplate say “Stevens” or have a scrolled “S” on it?  Or does it say “Fajen” or “Marlin” or maybe nothing?  It looks to me like a pretty impressive example of home-shop work; even admirable in some respects.  That locating stud on the front of the receiver for the forend is actually a good idea.  Is there a metal block in the top of the grip to fit the one screw left on the upper tang?  I would think that the builder would have done something like that to ensure the integrity of the buttstock fitting as well.

My first gun-building effort started with a 94 Favorite action, a scrounged barrel and a walnut board from Austin Hardwoods.  It taught me a lot about Single Shot riflesmithing.  There’s some inherent Coolness in that model that induces amateurs to bring them back from the junk pile.  If the local specialist with the buffing wheel and the bluing tanks didn’t exactly know what he was doing, well, that’s the luck of the draw.

All speculation, of course.  How does it shoot?  If it closes up tightly, Standard Velocity LR should be OK.  Avoid Hi-Speed.

Wow....this is why I posted this here.  If someone could help identify it, it would be you guys. There were no markings/letters on the but plate.  I think whoever built this was fairly good, not a hack job like I’ve seen with some guns.  I did not pay much attention to the stock when I removed it, but I did notice a brass sleeve was used on the foregrip for the locating stud...which is a little detail.  When I get home this afternoon I’ll take some more pictures.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #44 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
JCHannum wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:05am:
I agree with Bent-Ramrod. There is a lot more Favorite than 44 in that receiver. The normal stampings on the breech face for a 44 are missing and the action screws are more typical of a Favorite in style and location. Serial numbers on receiver are neatly stamped below the scope mount, indicating they have been added rather than original.

It would help to know the thickness of the receiver.

Thank you!  When I get home this afternoon I’ll take some measurements. 

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #45 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Here are a couple more pictures I took yesterday. Sorry in advance for the size.  I don’t know how to reduce them.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #46 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Pic

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
While you are taking pictures, please make some measurements.  Action thickness, somewhere between the slab sides.  Then a measurement from the action face to the point where the upper tang meets the rear of the action.  Also please measure the thickness of the loop lever.  And the thickness (width) of the hammer.  And maybe the spacing of the screws that hold the block in place.

I think some measurements will tell us whether we are looking at a modified 44 or a Favorite or whether this is something else entirely.  I don't have a Favorite to measure, but I will measure a Stevens 44 action today.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #48 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Pic

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #49 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:24pm:
While you are taking pictures, please make some measurements.  Action thickness, somewhere between the slab sides.  Then a measurement from the action face to the point where the upper tang meets the rear of the action.  Also please measure the thickness of the loop lever.  And the thickness (width) of the hammer.  And maybe the spacing of the screws that hold the block in place.

I think some measurements will tell us whether we are looking at a modified 44 or a Favorite or whether this is something else entirely.  I don't have a Favorite to measure, but I will measure a Stevens 44 action today.

Ok, I do this when I get home. Thank you!!!

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #50 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Pic

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
The hand-stamped numbers 619740 on the side must mean something.  I have 3 Stevens with 44 actions.  All have 5-digit SNs.  I don't know about Favorites.  Any idea if they might be the part of the SSN or phone number of the guy who died?  Would the widow know if her late husband was the maker?

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #52 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:40pm:
The hand-stamped numbers 619740 on the side must mean something.  I have 3 Stevens with 44 actions.  All have 5-digit SNs.  I don't know about Favorites.  Any idea if they might be the part of the SSN or phone number of the guy who died?  Would the widow know if her late husband was the maker?

I may reach out to my buddy at the gun store and see if he’ll give me the ladies number.  Based on the conversation I had with him previously she did not know much about the guns. 

Another interesting thing, is all of the black powder pistols are also unmarked. I believe these were kit guns so not sure if they were supposed to be marked. That being said, they also don’t seem to be nearly the quality/fit and finish.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #53 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Receiver 

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #54 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Lever

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #55 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Hammer

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #56 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Receiver screws

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #57 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Receiver

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #58 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Once again, I apologize for the pictures!!!

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #59 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Chamber

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #60 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Bottom action

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 6:40pm:

They scare me!  First send photos to a photo-hosting service like Imagur and then they will be resized automatically.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #62 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Lets try this...sorry again guys!!!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #63 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Could it be some sort of prototype or one off factory custom?  I shares a similar loop lever as this custom “range” model.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #64 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Pic test

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #65 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:08pm:

They scare me!  First send photos to a photo-hosting service like Imagur and then they will be resized automatically.

Right click on the image with your mouse. Then click on "open link" and it will reduce them to full screen size. I do it all the time with images posted here. Takes a couple seconds to do. 
When done looking, hit the "backspace" key and it returns you to the post.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #66 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:00pm:
Redsetter wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:08pm:

Right click on the image with your mouse. Then click on "open link" and it will reduce them to full screen size. I do it all the time with images posted here. Takes a couple seconds to do. 
When done looking, hit the "backspace" key and it returns you to the post.

Maybe my issue is I’m only using an IPhone and not a laptop.

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #67 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
The dimensions are all consistent with a Favorite. The lever is either scratch made or shop made loop welded to the original lever stub.

It is a not badly done build, the only shortcoming being the short bottom tang and its inherent weakness compounded by the addition of the sling.

Jim H.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #68 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
JCHannum wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:03pm:
The dimensions are all consistent with a Favorite. The lever is either scratch made or shop made loop welded to the original lever stub.

It is a not badly done build, the only shortcoming being the short bottom tang and its inherent weakness compounded by the addition of the sling.

Thank you Jim!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:39pm:
Could it be some sort of prototype or one off factory custom?  I shares a similar loop lever as this custom “range” model.

Now that lovely item is a Stevens No. 47 built on the 44 frame!  (Same model later made on the improved 44-1/2 frame.)  Compare the lever, trigger, and other details, to see how crude, comparatively speaking, are the same parts of this "unknown."

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #70 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:03pm:

No, it's probably because you're using the picture posting feature on this site. It will always be too large whether you use a PC or whatever.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #71 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:24pm:

Now that lovely item is a Stevens No. 47 built on the 44 frame!  (Same model later made on the improved 44-1/2 frame.)  Compare the lever, trigger, and other details, to see how crude, comparatively speaking, are the same parts of this "unknown."

I was not trying to compare the quality more the aesthetics (I.e. loop)  I also find it hard to believe this was a garage project. Jmho

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #72 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:03pm:

No, it's probably because you're using the picture posting feature on this site. It will always be too large whether you use a PC or whatever.

Thank you!! Maybe one day I’ll get it right.  Grin

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #73 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:40pm:

I was not trying to compare the quality more the aesthetics (I.e. loop)  I also find it hard to believe this was a garage project. Jmho

I wouldn't classify it as a garage project. It is fairly apparent that the hammer, trigger and lever are shop made or modified, not of Stevens origin while the receiver is. Such work is well within the skills of a tool & die maker.

Jim H.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #74 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
JCHannum wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:48pm:

I wouldn't classify it as a garage project. It is fairly apparent that the hammer, trigger and lever are shop made or modified, not of Stevens origin while the receiver is. Such work is well within the skills of a tool & die maker.

I guess this is plausible, it just seems silly someone would go to all this effort for a gun that’s not even valuable and replacement parts are readily available.   

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #75 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I also find it hard to believe this was a garage project. Jmho

You and me both!

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #76 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:21am
Print Post  
It's a good garage project, but it looks to me like exactly that. There are plenty of folks here on this forum who can do work that good and far better. I know a dozen welder/fabricator/machinists who could do that work, most of whom would not have the experienced eye or taste to make the parts look more like Stevens parts. 

I don't see anything there that couldn't be pulled off in a reasonably well equipped home woodshop. It'd be a lot of work to do it that way, but a lot of work rarely gets in the way of an inspired hobby gunsmith who has probably been reading too much De Haas.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Did the original Favorites have serial numbers?  If so, is the number on the side  within the range for Favorites?  Might the maker simply have stamped the Favorite SN on the side of the action when he cut off the lower tang?

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:59am
Print Post  
The rifle has a 7:00 extractor, near as I can tell.  (Why do these cell phone camera pictures distort so much when put up on websites?) That would indeed indicate that the original frame was in the “low” serial number range, i e, six figures.)

Looks like the builder also rounded off the octagon flats on top of the receiver.  It does look now like the hammer and trigger (as well as the lever) are shop-made.  Is the barrel now threaded into the receiver?  It seems the takedown screw was done away with entirely.

There is nothing on that rifle that is not within the skill level of the ordinary home shop machinist, if he is careful and takes his time.  Those whose idea of a “rifle build” is sending a spec sheet and a check to a gunsmith and calling every week for a progress report might get one of these kid rifle actions or junkers and see what they can do with it themselves.  The ordeal experience can be quite instructive and is very interesting.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #79 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:30am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:26am:
Did the original Favorites have serial numbers? 

Only the very early ones.  By the early 1900s so many had been produced that the numbers stamped on them pertained only to the batches in which they were mfgd.

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Why would someone take the time & trouble to re design a Favorite action, I can see no improvement.  Ledball

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #81 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Today I took the gun out and shot it.  I put approx 25 shorts through it and about 10 long’s. All seems to be fine from a firing standpoint. Seemed to group nicely with both rounds.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint