Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help needed to ID (Read 24448 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Help needed to ID
Reply #75 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 8:40pm:
I also find it hard to believe this was a garage project. Jmho

You and me both!

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #76 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:21am
Print Post  
It's a good garage project, but it looks to me like exactly that. There are plenty of folks here on this forum who can do work that good and far better. I know a dozen welder/fabricator/machinists who could do that work, most of whom would not have the experienced eye or taste to make the parts look more like Stevens parts. 

I don't see anything there that couldn't be pulled off in a reasonably well equipped home woodshop. It'd be a lot of work to do it that way, but a lot of work rarely gets in the way of an inspired hobby gunsmith who has probably been reading too much De Haas.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Did the original Favorites have serial numbers?  If so, is the number on the side  within the range for Favorites?  Might the maker simply have stamped the Favorite SN on the side of the action when he cut off the lower tang?

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 7:59am
Print Post  
The rifle has a 7:00 extractor, near as I can tell.  (Why do these cell phone camera pictures distort so much when put up on websites?) That would indeed indicate that the original frame was in the “low” serial number range, i e, six figures.)

Looks like the builder also rounded off the octagon flats on top of the receiver.  It does look now like the hammer and trigger (as well as the lever) are shop-made.  Is the barrel now threaded into the receiver?  It seems the takedown screw was done away with entirely.

There is nothing on that rifle that is not within the skill level of the ordinary home shop machinist, if he is careful and takes his time.  Those whose idea of a “rifle build” is sending a spec sheet and a check to a gunsmith and calling every week for a progress report might get one of these kid rifle actions or junkers and see what they can do with it themselves.  The ordeal experience can be quite instructive and is very interesting.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #79 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:30am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 1:26am:
Did the original Favorites have serial numbers? 

Only the very early ones.  By the early 1900s so many had been produced that the numbers stamped on them pertained only to the batches in which they were mfgd.

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Why would someone take the time & trouble to re design a Favorite action, I can see no improvement.  Ledball

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #81 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Today I took the gun out and shot it.  I put approx 25 shorts through it and about 10 long’s. All seems to be fine from a firing standpoint. Seemed to group nicely with both rounds.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint