Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help needed to ID (Read 24449 times)
Watchnguns

Re: Help needed to ID
Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:21pm:
A better size picture.

diffidently a repo.

Frank

Thank you!!

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:41pm:
I don’t think it’s a Stevens.  Ledball

Thank you!!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
An old Stevens it is not.  I am curious about the mainspring.  Is it a flat spring like a 44 action or a coil spring with a push rod like a 417?  The stock must be removed to find out for sure.  Although pulling the trigger on a fired case might give a clue.  A coiled mainspring will probably give a stiff trigger pull.  A flat mainspring may be a bit easier.

Whatever the source of the reproduction, it is what it is.   I would try it with some sort of standard velocity Long Rifles at 100 yards, off sandbags & a stiff bench.  If the bullets go through the target at an angle, try it with Shorts.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:10pm:
An old Stevens it is not.  I am curious about the mainspring.  Is it a flat spring like a 44 action or a coil spring with a push rod like a 417?  The stock must be removed to find out for sure.  Although pulling the trigger on a fired case might give a clue.  A coiled mainspring will probably give a stiff trigger pull.  A flat mainspring may be a bit easier.

Whatever the source of the reproduction, it is what it is.   I would try it with some sort of standard velocity Long Rifles at 100 yards, off sandbags & a stiff bench.  If the bullets go through the target at an angle, try it with Shorts.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll try standard ammo and see how it goes. It has a flat mainspring? but it attaches to the top of the receiver vs an “S” and attaching to the bottom.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
A little history on this gun...this elderly lady’s husband had passed away and she brought 12 guns to the neighborhood gun store. I ended up purchasing all 12. I ended up paying about $70 per gun so I don’t think I got stung too bad. 

I purchased the below in addition.
1 Winchester Model 12
2 Stevens 22/410. 
1 Ithaca 37
5 black powder revolvers
1 IJ 38 
1 NAA 22

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Spring

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #21 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:11pm:
Spring

Thanks Frank!!  Not sure how to resize pictures. I’ll have to ask my teenagers when they get home.  Grin

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Is that an improvement on the Stevens 44 flat spring after all these years?   

The Stevens was held in place by tension between the hammer and a cylindrical block screwed into the lower (and much longer) tang.  Later versions had the mainspring fastened to the lower tang with a screw.  Not better as far as trigger pull was concerned.  Coil mainspring & push rod also worked off lower tang.  Trigger pull was worse than flat spring.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I'm really curious as to the origin of the rifle.  I've never seen anything like it.  Could it be a home workshop project?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
The general styling as can be seen in the full-length photo is not that bad for a modern repro, except for the horribly botched "blueing."  But what's that medallion on the pistol grip?  Maybe some clue to its nationality?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:51pm:
A little history on this gun...this elderly lady’s husband had passed away and she brought 12 guns to the neighborhood gun store. I ended up purchasing all 12. I ended up paying about $70 per gun so I don’t think I got stung too bad. 

1 Winchester Model 12
2 Stevens 22/410. 
1 Ithaca 37
5 black powder revolvers
1 IJ 38 
1 NAA 22

The Stevens/Savage over & under is a nice item, esp. if it's an earlier one.  I had one with the 20 g. brl. about 50 yrs ago and thought very well of it...until someone stole it out of my truck.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I would say you got a great deal on the bulk purchase. Not sure exactly what you have there but it is interesting. To me it looks like a Stevens 44 that someone took a lot of time modifiying. The lever is way too thick to be made by Stevens and not sure if the Stevens frame is wide enough for it. The lower tang would have to have been shortened if it is a Stevens. The purple blueing on the reciever looks like a typical Stevens that has been hot blued. For what you paid, see how it shoots and have fun with it.

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #27 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:28pm:
The general styling as can be seen in the full-length photo is not that bad for a modern repro, except for the horribly botched "blueing."  But what's that medallion on the pistol grip?  Maybe some clue to its nationality?

The quality of the gun is not terrible, seems to be on par with most of the other guns I have. I’ve never handled a Stevens 44 so can give a comparison. Also I believe the medallion on the pistol grip was added by the original owner.  Several of the guns I purchased had these. Thank you!

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #28 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:48pm:
I would say you got a great deal on the bulk purchase. Not sure exactly what you have there but it is interesting. To me it looks like a Stevens 44 that someone took a lot of time modifiying. The lever is way too thick to be made by Stevens and not sure if the Stevens frame is wide enough for it. The lower tang would have to have been shortened if it is a Stevens. The purple blueing on the reciever looks like a typical Stevens that has been hot blued. For what you paid, see how it shoots and have fun with it.

I agree, I’m just going to take it out and have fun. I did shoot a couple 22 shorts through it but decided to hold off until I knew more about it.   Thank you!! 

IP Logged

Watchnguns

Reply #29 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:33pm:
Watchnguns wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:51pm:

1 Winchester Model 12
2 Stevens 22/410. 
1 Ithaca 37
5 black powder revolvers
1 IJ 38 
1 NAA 22

The Stevens/Savage over & under is a nice item, esp. if it's an earlier one.  I had one with the 20 g. brl. about 50 yrs ago and thought very well of it...until someone stole it out of my truck.

That’s terrible that someone stole your gun. Angry The Stevens 22/410 are neat guns.  One of them is stamped USAF on the receiver which is cool and probably bumps the value a little. Thank you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint