Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .50-70 Govt. Ballard (Read 3327 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

.50-70 Govt. Ballard
Nov 26th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I advised a friend on buying this Marlin Ballard #4 Perfection about 4 years ago. I wanted it badly, but it was his deal so I couldn't interfere. I did tell him if he ever parted with it I wanted first chance to get it!
About 4 months ago he called and asked if I was still interested, and of course I was! Because of his health issues it took 4 months to complete the deal, and those were very tough months, as I was sure the deal would fall apart at any time! This morning he brought it to our local collector gun show and I finally bought it.
According to John Dutcher's book on Ballard history,  "Early catalogs list the #4 in .40-70, .44-77SBN, and .50-70 Government. But these three calibers were fast becoming obsolete and it's doubtful many were produced in those calibers."
I've never seen another in this caliber, and would agree with John's thoughts on how scarce the .50-70 Govt. caliber is!

This Ballard is a 3 digit serial number 59X and is typical of many early JM Marlin Ballards in that it uses some leftover parts from the previous Brown Mfg. Co. rifles. The receiver and wood are Marlin, but that's all. The lever, hammer, trigger, and buttplate are from the Brown Mfg. company parts given to Marlin by Schoverling & Daley. And the barrels are even more unique! Marlin did not make .50 caliber barrels, so they sent a note to Sharps Rifle Co. and ordered some of their .50 caliber barrels. So this Ballard has Sharps rifling style, and not Ballard style! Just another unique part of this #4 Perfection!

Barrel is a heavy 30" full octagon.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Forged receiver with Brown hammer. Rear sight is strangely engraved, and may be another item from a deluxe Brown rifle?

Short Brown trigger and reverse loop lever:

Some early Marlin Ballards had a pin in the frame to match the Brown lever, but they were inconsistent and this one doesn't. My other #4 is serial #48X and it has both pin and lever with hole.

The gun shows signs of a lot of carrying across a saddle, as the bottom of the forearm is well worn, and not much finish on the metal. But the action is as tight as I've ever seen on a Ballard, and the bore is perfect! I found a new box of Bell brass in .50-70 Govt., so once I slug the bore and order some bullets, I'll load up a box and take it for a spin!

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .50-70 Govt. Ballard
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Vall,
Real nice looking #4, please do let us know how she shoots- for a punkin chunker with that barrel I'd bet she's sweet.   
Greg 

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Once again great find Vall!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
oodmoff wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 9:07pm:
Once again great find Vall!

Thanks Darin! Weird to look down a Ballard bore and not see typical Ballard rifling. Sharps rifling is quite different!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Here's another #4 I own that's all Marlin built parts, for comparison to the early one using Brown parts:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint