Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) thanks for starting this sub forum (Read 6488 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

thanks for starting this sub forum
Nov 19th, 2017 at 8:38am
Print Post  
I'm glad to see the hunting sub-forum is getting off and running.   My personal experiences with single shot hunting is very limited----to shooting nuisance raccoons and woodchucks at my old family home which my sister now owns.

However I do have a dedicated single shot rifle "in the works" and hopefully it will be ready for the next deer season. It will be based on a Ruger #3 45-70 and a modified 45-70 case.   

here in the midwest we have been gifted by Mother Nature and some state DNRs with a rapidly expanding whitetail deer population.  Many of the Upper midwest states have have long had regulations that made hunting with rifles illegal in much of if not all of the state. Basically population densities in the more settled areas precluded high power hunting rifles for safety reasons.  Indiana was a shotgun only state for many years as was the southern half of Michigan's lower peninsula.   

However the deer being deer don't know the regs and operate strictly under the biological rules and regulations.  as a result in the more settled areas where hunting pressure was less and agriculture was good the deer population is burgeoning while over hunting for antlers in the traditional rifle areas (of MI) has really lowered the "quality-hunting" in the former rifle only areas.  In addition the number of deer hunters has dropped as the generational change and the younger folk have sought other sporting interests.  the expanding deer population has resulted in a large increase in deer car collisions---including the number of human injury and fatal accidents.  there are also increased in crop reductions as a result of deer depredations.  Pressure from the powerful Insurance and farmers lobby groups has resulted in the State DNR's liberalizing bag limits legalizing general population of use of crossbows in former traditional bow-only seasons and legalizing the so called "modern-muzzle loaders" in the formerly traditional muzzle loader seasons and areas.   

Statring a few years ago OH IN and MI have also permitted the general use of "rifles" chambered in high-power (nominally) pistol cartridges. (with the .357 Magnum as the lower limit up though the 454 Casual, 460 S&W .480 Ruger and the traditional magnums)  The IN and MI regs define it as a straight walled cartridge of no less than .357 bore capacity and a max, case length of 1.87 inches.  some stated had permitted "traditional B.P rifle cartridges)

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: thanks for starting this sub forum
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 8:56am
Print Post  
When these reg went into effect the gunshots in MI & IN and went absolutely bonkers with guys buying the entry level NEF break-open single shots in 44M.  The first year the shop owners I have talked with figured the guys were buying them on impulse and they'd be getting them traded back at the end of the season, but none have ever reported on coming back--in fact sales have dpne nothing but increase.  I wish I had the wit and money to have invested in NEF stock. 
There are a LOT of guys out there  successfully hunting now with these simple basic Single shots without really giving a thought to the fact that they are hunting with SINGLE-SHOT RIFLES.  they are simply very accurate and inexpensive little handy carbine-sized rifles ideal for deer hunting in the brushy edges of the agricultural areas.

My own project will be to setback and re chamber the 45-70 #3 to a cartridge based on a 45-70 case shortened to the 1.87 minimum case and retapered to securely hold 458 bullets.  (basically a 460 S&W but designed to use .458 rifle bullets rather than .452/454 pistol bullets).  The rifle will be professionally tuned up and then restocked with fullsized #1 wood.
in the mean time I'll be hunting "the edges" surrounding my cousins fruit orchards with my little 44M Ruger lever=action rifle ---but using magazines with only one round in the magazine.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2017 at 8:35am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Sounds like the old .40-50SS would be perfect for hunting deer in your area! Meets all the dimensional regs and would bring down a buck with ease!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
that was suggested, others have suggested just rebarreling into 460 S&W but........ I have a LOT of 45-70 brass and about 500 rem fiat-soft point .458 bullets and a perfectly good almost unused 45-70 barrel on the #3.  The cost of the conversion as near as I can figure involves setting the barrel back and getting a new chamber reamer because of the required altered case taper (and maybe cutting a new arbor press reforming die with the same reamer in a section of old 45-70 barrel)  is basically a wash with the cost of rebarreling with a new barrel. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Besides that does not take into account the weirdness factor of a wildcat Shocked Cheesy

The reamer would also offer the possibility of cutting back some of the modern 45-70 lever guns into "pistol-caliber legal" deer hunting rifles.  one of those shorty marlin alaskan guide rifles could make an nice deer-woods rifle.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
You don't need a special reamer, just short chamber the barrel and cut the rim recess on the lathe. I've done it and it works. You are basically using the front 1 7/8" of the reamer and the diameter at the back end is large enough that the part of the case just in front of the rim will chamber. You can use standard 45/70 dies to load your ammo or you can shorten the dies if needed. I didn't need to. As I've said, I've done this and it works. you don't need to spend any $$$ to do this project.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
"Besides that does not take into account the weirdness factor of a wildcat Shocked Cheesy."

Now that turned out pretty darn funny! I copy and pasted QM's comment and that's the result. 

There's nothing weird about odd wildcats except maybe the people who build them for the weirdness of it. I built a .465 x 2.1 using a Buhmiller barrel I have. It's nothing but a 45-70 in .465 caliber. I built it on a Rolling Block and then pulled it to put together a nice 45-70 with a BRC barrel. The .465 barrel chamber could be shortened to meet the above mentioned requirements. If anyone is interested PM me since the barrel is just gathering dust and I need to get rid of it along with 40 years worth of other stuff.

JS

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Shortened .45-70 brass is what I use in the 11.7 Danish Rolling Block. I think the length you're going for matches the Danish 11.7 pretty closely.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
My CPA with Unertl small game 6X, favorite squirrel rifle.

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Way to go. My favorite type of hunting.
Lee

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
If memory serves me right Bob ( Game Warden ) has had that rifle for quite sometime and it's has always been one of those I immediately fell in love with from the very first time he took the time to share it with me. I might also add that Bob is a true gentleman and I have been truly blessed to know him even though we have never met other than having online or simply personal e-mail conversations over the years.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
?Maynard, I think you may have pretty much duplicated the 45/60 WCF. A very popular round designed for the Centennial Model 1876 Winchesters, but also chambered in some Hiwalls. I think the original load was a 300 gr. bullet at about 1300 fps. Brass and dies are available correctly marked if you are fussy about that sort of thing. The reproduction 1876 rifles really brought the demand up and the prices are much lower now due to higher volume. You might have to trim a few thou off the length to make 1.870
Anyway, sounds like fun. 
Happy New Year to all!
Dennis

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

TDW

Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
GWarden,
   It does me good to see Iowa squirrels again! Lived in the Southwest part of the state until I was 10. My brothers and I used to go out and shoot several a week for dinner. The squirrels we have here in Montana are nowhere near that size (more like really sassy, long tailed chipmunks) but I still get out with my low walls and torment them on occasion. Thanks for bringing that memory back! Great looking wood on that CPA!
TDW
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2018 at 4:16pm by TDW »  

"The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse."
S.P. Garbe, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, 1980

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint