Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Oiling bore for P.P.? (Read 5205 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Oiling bore for P.P.?
Jul 9th, 2015 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Some of the original writings about long-range shooting mention that after cleaning, the bore was lightly oiled prior to loading the p.p. ctg.  Use of several cleaning rods, each with it's specific purpose were used.  Has anyone tried this?  Might help prevent hard baked on fouling from forming?

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Oiling bore for P.P.?
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 11:01am
Print Post  
22-5-40
A number of those competitors shooting PP for BPCR long range wipe their bores between shots using a mixture of water soluble oil (available from NAPA as I recall) and water. So in effect, there are a number of shooters oiling their bores.
If you read the forums catering to that type of shooting, such as Shiloh's, you can find what works for powder fouling mitigation when shooting PP bullets.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Under the time constrains for shooting in general; either LR or silhouette matches, multiple cleaning rods is a non-starter.

Randy hit the nail on the head; use NAPA cutting oil 1:10 with water to wipe the bore clean.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 12:55am
Print Post  
It also looks like a solution in search of a problem if your issue is hard, baked-on fouling:  if you clean between shots, that won't be an issue...

IP Logged

MAH
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
I know of two shooters that use the old style method. Proven on the targets that were shot at 700 yards. Even take it one step beyond the  outer layer of paper on the bullet is lightly oiled. This method has been demonstrated on the range to other competitors. Most are surprised!

MAH

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
There's a ton of difference in the way today's matches are shot , and the way the original Creedmoor and midrange were. So yes there were a few shooters that used multiple rods, with the final one with a lightly oiled rag down the bore before the next shot. Some used a fisher brush, which is quite similar to today's bore bigs, or the Bore Wipe System sold by Buffalo Arms.
I like the bore wipe system, followed by a dry flannel patch, it's thorough and fast. I soak the felts in 7-1 water/napa oil mix. 
I also took a page out of the 1875 Remington catalog instructions for loading paper patch cartridges, but as we can't get Spermicetti to oil the exposed patch with, substituted jojoba oil.
Works pretty decent.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 9:19am
Print Post  
In Perry's old book ( which describes the state of the art back when it was written ), he says to oil the bore and to then use a dry rag to remove the oil.  Of course that would not really remove all of it.

I use a 1:10 mixture of Ballistol and water to wipe between shots.  But I do follow with a dry patch to remove as much as possible.

One of the more successful modern PP shooters, Brent Danielson, uses only pure water between shots.

Maybe some of the slug gun shooters will respond.  I believe that they often use oiled patches on the bullets.

Chris.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Quite a few years ago when I visited the NMLRA range at Friendship to watch the June shoot I spent some time on the slug gun range being shown the ropes by Phil Orem ( now passed )  The loading procedure for the rifles I witnessed consisted of using a false muzzle that had a cross patch pot on top of it and the bullet was pressed through the patch on loading and into the barrel.  I was told at the time that some were using a Teflon backed paper as well.
Perhaps they are doing things differently nowadays I don't know.  Andy Larson should be able to chip in on this subject as I think he shoots slug guns.
Mike.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
What some of the Longrange front stuffers do is, Take the paper patches and roll it on some foam in a can that has been oiled. kind of like a stamp pad.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint