Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Maynard Model 1 ? (Read 18525 times)
ALPHAWOLF45

Re: Maynard Model 1 ?
Reply #30 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
The "as you know" line is incorrect. Fact is that I don't know. I built these couple rifles FAST..I didn't have an authentic example to copy, indeed to this day I still have never seen a real one in person.Knowing that I cant build a precise replica just studying pictures I then give myself the liberty to make decisions that may not be right but keeps the project moving along.. I doubt that my nipple is in exactly the right place and oriented as it should be.. I had problem with getting the flame from the percussion cap doglegged over and thru the tiny hole in the breech face . My fix was to add the removable plug and in that plug I was able to machine a good flame channel.
    Hey no kidding.. Tough build really considering that the tiny hole in breechface must line up with tiny hole in rear of cartridge case when the barrel is levered down and cam over locked in place....Simple gun but it has to be right or it wont work. Indeed I am very pleased that I was able to build such a thing in rather short time and primarily working from pictures.. But it is not correct in all the details.

Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Oct 2nd, 2014 at 3:58pm:
  Hello Alpha Wolf---

I am perusing you Maynard at:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And in doing so, I have a question for you, if I may?  On the right hand side of the standing breech there appears to be a hole with an installed plug in place.

As you know, the 1st. Model percussion Maynards had a replaceable nipple that was made at a 90 degree angle and it protruded slightly out of the standing breech on the right hand side with a "clean out" threaded screw.  I'm wondering how and why you choose to do that element in your project in the manner that you've done?

Photos No. 8 and 9, going from left to right, show what I am speaking about.

Thanks much.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Maynard Model 1 ?
Reply #31 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 5:31pm
Print Post  

Hello Alpha Wolf --- Thank you for taking the time to answer my question/s.

I am in no way wanting to be critical in any respects regarding your fantastic Maynard replica.  I have already recognized your openness and honesty and have said so earlier above.  I, without any doubt, highly respect and hold in esteem people such as your self who are achievers.

If I lived closer to Ark., I would loan you a cardboard box filled with a dis-assemble Mass. Arms Co. produced Maynard 1873 and allow you to have it for a couple of weeks to inspect it at your leisure.

CMM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint