Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Maynard Model 1 ? (Read 18527 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Maynard Model 1 ?
Reply #15 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
  Alpha Wolf -- I've studied the one Maynard picture quite extensively (but not to the same degree as the other photos) and it appears to this Maynard owner that your barrel is either a Mass Arms original or an almost exact replica barrel from either Romano or J. Bly.

The reason I think that is; your barrel under lug for the finger lever linkage is too close to being the original configuration.  If you were to be working from Maynard photos only, how would you know the positioning and design of the barrel under lugs with the breach closed up and the finger lever in the "battery" position?

CMM

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #16 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
  I pull every picture I can find off the internet and bring the better photos into AutoCAD where I scale them and trace them and guess at whatever else isn't obvious.....I and a whole lot of other people  can build virtually anything merely from photos pulled off the net. Just takes a heap of time and 'course tools and some appropriate previous experiences...No, all that is mine for better or worse.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 7:32pm
Print Post  

Thanks Alpha Wolf for being so forthcoming with some really great information.

My conclusion is that you are one bright (intelligent) person, who is "smarter than the average bear".     Wink       Wink

CMM

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #18 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I did test very high on IQ tests but that's only because I knew the answers Grin  But I have worked with tools, machines since I was a young kid and now I am an old man, naturally I have learned a good deal along the way. Metalsworking is my passion, I was deep into that well before I ever fooled with a gun project. Gunsmithing however is a whole 'nuther science...Notice I don't fool with anything modern high power chambering. I don't trust myself to build anything that can take the side of my face off if it isn't made egggzackardly right.
   Ohhh hey. let me brag on myself... Two weeks ago friend and I met up at the club to shoot at  steel turkey silhouette.. We first hammered it hard at the 300 meter pig line then friend Paul suggested we set it out at the 500 meter Rams line.. With my home built .45-70 Highwall and iron sights I could not see it at all with my right eye but could just barely see it as a blurry speck with my left eye...So I got down prone and put the rifle butt to my left shoulder and aimed with my left eye but worked the double set trigger with my usual right hand trigger finger...I hit it 5 of 7 shots...Last 3 shots were solid hits but then I quit because the awkward hold was hammering my left shoulder....Fun though. Smiley...Do that with a hobbiest built home made rifle and it is a real good feeling.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Quote:

Two weeks  With my home built .45-70 Highwall and iron sights I could not see it at all with my right eye but could just barely see it as a blurry speck with my left eye...

Alpha Wolf---

You may want to set aside some time to have an appointment with an Ophthalmologist in order to have your eyes examined and evaluated.  As a person reaches age 50, there are changes which take place, however, such changes are normal and correctable if attended to early by a Doctor of Ophthalmology (O.D. after their name).  Retail eye wear stores such a Wal-Mart mostly employ optometrists, which are basically vision testers and prescribe corrective lens, but are not doctors.

CMM
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2014 at 6:17am by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Alpha Wolf, you sir are a very talented craftsman and exceptionally intuitive at reverse engineering. I was impressed looking at your photos of the guns you have made from scratch. You use the same thread that I use assembling my Maynard barrels, 13/16"-20. The cam-over locking linkage of the barrel to frame is simple but there is very little room for error and you seem to have nailed it. Overall your Maynards are impressive.

Making things from pictures can be done as you have proved but it is not simple. While in engineering school I had a part time job in the Industrial Engineering machine shop. One of the professors brought back some photos of a device from a conference he had been to and wanted it duplicated. Other full time people in the shop said they needed more information such as drawings or sketches to build it. When I was asked if I could make it I said yes. I got the job and completed it to the satisfaction of the professor. I didn't make any friends in the shop as I was just one of those young upstart college kids passing thru.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Alpha Wolf --- 
                Would you mind if I were to desire to learn more RE: the Maynard replica rifle that you produced and have shared with this Forum?

I am interested in learning how you accomplished the barrel.  Would I be correct that you do not have a rifling machine, so as an alternative, you produce the entire barrel as one piece and bore it smooth in order to receive a purchase liner for the insert?

Or, in the alternative, you produce the hex breech end portion with female threads and them install a purchased barrel (Green Mountain ? ?) which has been contoured in your shop to your requirements with a male thread to be assembled with the hex piece?

I find this thread one of the most interesting offered and I thank you for that.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I agree with everyone else,you do do some very nice work. From what I see you have a pretty nice shop to work in. Just wish I had access to all the goodies you have as many people will have a lathe, and maybe a mill but you seem to have a grinder to go along with everything an some nice tooling to round things out. As a retired toolmaker, I see many things I easily recognize. Keep up the good work
Sam

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #23 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Ohh yeah ,4600 sq. foot shop, heat treat furnace, Rockwell hardness tester, multiple manual lathes and mills and cnc mill and surface grinder, mig and tig welders.. Huge shop press and bunch of other stuff.. I do small jobs for a local injection mold maker when he has something he cant do.. I recently acquired a 75 ton injection molding machine for which I will have to build the molds- so I guess I could say I was a toolmaker but I don't have enough years at it to have earned that title.....Right now I need a cnc plasma burn table so eventually one of those will follow me home..There no shortage of tools that a guy can need if his projects are varied....I also cast aluminum and bronze and work on electronic projects. I'll dabble with almost anything. Guns is just fun projects for me. I am not really into guns like you all are.

nuclearcricket wrote on Oct 1st, 2014 at 9:28am:
I agree with everyone else,you do do some very nice work. From what I see you have a pretty nice shop to work in. Just wish I had access to all the goodies you have as many people will have a lathe, and maybe a mill but you seem to have a grinder to go along with everything an some nice tooling to round things out. As a retired toolmaker, I see many things I easily recognize. Keep up the good work
Sam

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #24 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I like the idea you suggest to carve the whole thing from a solid that then gets a rifled liner.. But working with what I had I chose the other route which was to thread a Green Mountain blank into a breech end portion....I don't have capability here to drill ,ream and rifle a barrel blank.
..I don't really know how to do any of this stuff..I just figger it out as I go along and hope for the best..Think I spent a month or 6 weeks building the pair of Maynards and spent less than a hundred bucks on each of them.. That is lot of fun hours for little money invested and they come out purty good. 

Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Oct 1st, 2014 at 8:34am:
Alpha Wolf --- 
                Would you mind if I were to desire to learn more RE: the Maynard replica rifle that you produced and have shared with this Forum?
C.M.M

I am interested in learning how you accomplished the barrel.  Would I be correct that you do not have a rifling machine, so as an alternative, you produce the entire barrel as one piece and bore it smooth in order to receive a purchase liner for the insert?

Or, in the alternative, you produce the hex breech end portion with female threads and them install a purchased barrel (Green Mountain ? ?) which has been contoured in your shop to your requirements with a male thread to be assembled with the hex piece?

I find this thread one of the most interesting offered and I thank you for that.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #25 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 11:26am
Print Post  
[quote author=5F7A7D7B4A513B4A57796C150 link=1411725274/20#20 date=1412164091] The cam-over locking linkage of the barrel to frame is simple but there is very little room for error and you seem to have nailed it. Overall your Maynards are impressive.

DeadEye
   Are you saying you build the entire Maynard rifle yourself?.. I would like to build my own example of  every  rifle used in the civil war.. I nearly have a Sharps finished.. Really itching to build a Burnside.. I have folders filled with pictures of all the civil war rifles. I just need the time and inclination. Uhhmmm , I don't mean to give the impression that I can make an authentic in every respect replica working only from pictures but I can definitely make a reasonably good facsimile -good enough to suit me.
..Hehhehehhe

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 8:18am
Print Post  
No, I've never built an entire Maynard rifle. I started assembling barrels in 2001 on a monobloc barrel stub machined from chrome-moly steel just the way you did it. A friend and retired diemaker made a 1st Model Maynard from scratch and now is making a few more. I have helped him by making the hammer and trigger blanks and I'm supplying the barrels.

By supporting Maynard shooters I've made a lot of parts, 1873 adapter rings, extractor blanks, screws, link blanks, hammers, triggers, anything to keep the rifles working.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 8:38am
Print Post  
  John B. made for me the extremely small threaded screw which is quite lengthy in order to engage and retain the firing pin in my 1873 Maynard.  He told me he used magnification for most of the process.

John also was, or currently is, making Maynard tang sight bases which are compatible with the various fold down staffs that are available on the market today.

Need Maynard help or have questions, John B. is the person who would be available to help you.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #28 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 9:19am
Print Post  
The internet is the resource that makes all this possible for me.. Before I got very far along with my Maynards I found a gentleman online who answered a couple questions for me. I needed to know some dimensions so that I could scale it ..You can find good pictures of most any parts on Gunbroker but then you have got to figure out the dimensions. But I find that folks online are very helpful at measuring their own guns/parts and taking pictures when I need another view.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
  Hello Alpha Wolf---

I am perusing you Maynard at:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And in doing so, I have a question for you, if I may?  On the right hand side of the standing breech there appears to be a hole with an installed plug in place.

As you know, the 1st. Model percussion Maynards had a replaceable nipple that was made at a 90 degree angle and it protruded slightly out of the standing breech on the right hand side with a "clean out" threaded screw.  I'm wondering how and why you choose to do that element in your project in the manner that you've done?

Photos No. 8 and 9, going from left to right, show what I am speaking about.

Thanks much.

Creedmoormatch
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2014 at 4:04pm by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint