Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Maynard Model 1 ? (Read 18524 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Maynard Model 1 ?
Sep 26th, 2014 at 5:54am
Print Post  

Does  anyone have background information and particulars to share RE; the Maynard Model 1 carbine reproduction that was or is available from Daniel R. Sheetz ?  My understanding is these repro Maynards were or are available as both .36 and .50 caliber.  They are apparently N-SSA approved for competition, but I take that subjectively and with a grain of salt.

Responses greatly appreciated.  Purchase opportunities welcomed.  Hope you have a very successful 130th. Fall National

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Maynard Model 1 ?
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 6:43am
Print Post  
I did find this image of someone's Maynard project kit, but no details are available. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Any pros or cons to offer ?  It's, of course, not anywhere near to being an original Mass Arms !

C.M.M.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2014 at 6:57am by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Mr. Sheetz and I grew up about 5 miles from each other and went to high school together. He is a retired tool and die maker with a fairly nice shop at home. I use his shop sometimes for equipment that I don't have. He shoots in the N-SSA.

He has built one 1st Model Maynard from scratch complete with a working primer feed mechanism. It is impressive work. I supplied his barrel. He is currently working on 4 more but they are all spoken for. I've made up the barrels and I made the hammer and trigger blanks for him. He is a one man shop and has recently taken a part time job as a consultant that takes a week or two each month. He does not know when any of the rifles will be complete and he has said that he may never build another one.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 8:51am
Print Post  

Good morning, and thank you, John for providing that information.

I am hoping to meet Mr. Scheetz next week and perhaps have the opportunity to see his Maynard carbine replica.

I'll look forward to seeing you at Bruce's digs also.
Regards,
Webb

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
I am that guy who built the couple Maynards in that old thread.. Coincidentally I this morning pulled the Maynard I built in .45 ACP out of the closet and will put better sights on it  and smooth up the trigger to use it in a pistol cartridge silhouette match next month. Fun little gun. That and I have a gobzillion .45ACP cartridges already loaded up. 

Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Sep 26th, 2014 at 6:43am:
I did find this image of someone's Maynard project kit, but no details are available. 

Any pros or cons to offer ?  It's, of course, not anywhere near to being an original Mass Arms !

C.M.M.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Glad to see you're still at it Steven.  Sounds like a lot of fun - that pistol cartridge silhouette!

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Alpha W.  Thanks for coming out with that info on the Maynard projects.  Would it be possible to see one or both of the projects in their finished state?

I don't think that Doctor Maynard would mind one bit that you copied his design.  Rather, I would think it would please him to know that you appreciate the design as much today as he did in his day.

Keep up the good work !

C.M.M.

P.S. I'd really like to see several more photos of your reproduction J.Stevens Model 44 1/2 !  What caliber is it chambered for ?
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:20am by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Joe I am working diligently/obsessively at developing a product that I will be able to manufacture/market from my own machineshop so haven't had time to work on a gun in a while.. I been shooting BPCR silhouette matches using one of the Highwalls that I built from barstock..Love that sport.. Want to shoot some of the other silhouette matches. I have the Marlin 1892 .22 lever action I built from scratch that I can use for the .22 leveraction silhouette matches.. I don't have a homebuilt lever action centerfire  pistol caliber repeating rifle  but they'll let me shoot the singleshot Maynard, then if I get serious about it I may finish building one of the Winchester 1873s that I have been working on...Very satisfying that a man with 'nuff time and a full machine shop can build any gun he desires...............Hey, I am talking with the match director 'bout putting on some Quigley matches like they do in Montana 'cept I'll scale the buffalo down for the 600 yards we have at our club. I told'em I would donate the targets to the club if they will stage the matches.

jfeldman wrote on Sep 29th, 2014 at 10:32pm:
Glad to see you're still at it Steven.  Sounds like a lot of fun - that pistol cartridge silhouette!

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:24am
Print Post  

In which state is your shooting club located ?

CMM

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Well sure ,I'll dig out some pictures and take some more and put'm here today..The caveat is that I didn't have an original to copy nor a scaled drawing  so I did best I could working from pictures pulled off the internet.

Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:14am:
Alpha W.  Thanks for coming out with that info on the Maynard projects.  Would it be possible to see one or both of the projects in their finished state?

I don't think that Doctor Maynard would mind one bit that you copied his design.  Rather, I would think it would please him to know that you appreciate the design as much today as he did in his day.

Keep up the good work !

C.M.M.

P.S. I'd really like to see several more photos of your reproduction J.Stevens Model 44 1/2 !  What caliber is it chambered for ?

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:34am
Print Post  
It is the Benton Arkansas gun club...

And per your Stevens 44 1/2 question.. I built one in .22 , one in .17 HM2, and another in .38-55...And I built one in .32-20 but I musta been drunk or fighting with the wife when I built it , it is really awful..

Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Sep 30th, 2014 at 6:24am:

In which state is your shooting club located ?

CMM

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 11:51am
Print Post  
If this links you to my Photobucket account you can see just about everything gun related that I have ever built. Of course I am a hobbiest so take that into consideration and don't expect too much of me. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 3:44pm
Print Post  

Alpha Wolf --- I am setting here absolutely amazed by the EXTREMELY talented work that you performed to bring the rough cut block of steel for the Maynard to the finished assembly I see in your photo-bucket album.

My first impression upon seeing your blank for the Maynard was " Yea, Right ! "  Well I'm happy to say you have made a believer out of me.

I do happen to believe in miracles, and have seen several during my life time -- well I'm here to tell you that I do believe that I've seen one here today in your work product.

Am I correct that you do your own case hardening ?  Or was what I saw a heat treating furnace?

Later,   Wink

CMM

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 4:04pm
Print Post  

Alpha Wolf --
               Are you connected with the N-SSA ?  Was wondering, since there is a big match later this week into the weekend near Winchester, Virginia at the N-SSA property known as Fort Shenandoah.

If you're not a member shooter, I would guess you know some of the Arkansas folks who come to that shoot.

CMM

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Yes CMM I do my own color case hardening ..It is a hobby for me so I do everything that I can. I make every spring and bolt and carve stocks. I would guess that it takes 25 or 30 years to get real good at gunsmith-ering and I only been puttering with it 10 or 12 years so I am still fighting with it here and there. I have built a few purty guns to my credit and a few stinkers that I built earlier on........Yeup, I like them before pictures showing roughed out pieces that scarcely resemble anything that could function in a rifle but every one of my projects go through that same ugly phase.
  I don't know anybody round here who shoots N-SSA but I am only little more than a year into the shooting sports so I don't know many people yet..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint