Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) WTF 30-30 Wesson dimensions (Read 35480 times)
40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: WTF 30-30 Wesson dimensions
Reply #60 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 8:34am
Print Post  
We are back to the same old argument how Traditional is Traditional enough. If we keep going down the rabbit hole where only black powder is Traditional then what’s next? Is Goex not legal because it wasn’t manufactured in 1917? How bout those non-mercuric primers? SPG, no way bub. 
  This usually boils down to “my way is Traditional yours isn’t.” 
  What we need is an ASSRA Inquisition where a traveling auto du fe’ is held at each member local club. We could have sinners tearfully come forward confess their sins and toss their Millers in the bonfire. Followed by an execution or two. 
Purity above practicality

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Very well said BP, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
40Rod it was a simple question that needs to be addressed, the organization made the rules and it should take the time to clearly define them. If they need to be revised to preserve the class then revise them least we loose the class all together. It is not a matter of my way or hit the hi way by individual thought nor by the discretion of each individual Schuetzen Meister. Its a matter of the organization stepping up to the plate to clearly define the rules in a manner that is clearly understood, without question or debate. Is that really asking to much from those that pay their dues and support the organization? 

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
WOW,
All this over a simple little primer and trying to get a handle on "the sprit of the rules"!

Yet, I hear no indignation regarding the CPA  Lips Sealed You realize that only three basic parts will interchange between a 44 1/2 and a CPA. The beech block, hammer (if you can even call that a basic part) and the lower tang/trigger.

I'm not against the CPA's use in Traditional but, it is clearly NOT a 44 1/2, rifle, as defined in the 4 catagorys that John always refers to. But, I do think it should have a clause in the rules like the scopes do. Even then, if that were done, the draw bolt stock mounting shouldn't be allowed.

Frank
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2014 at 12:21pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
40_Rod,

To my way of thinking, the best way to keep from having to repeatedly go down a rabbit hole is to not have ever allowed the hole to get dug in the first place.
       Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:07am
Print Post  
BP again very well said.

Unfortunatly I can't help but think that hole might be a safe heaven from those issues, opps arguments that keep popping up as mentioned in 40Rods last post. I kind of got a kick out of his comments on BP, Goex, SPG, Non-Mercuric Primers and topping it off by saying "No Way Bub". Does that mean there might be a real issue with the rules or that he's above them? He spoke his peace on the mattet as he should but he should not look at others doing the same as being whiners. He also continues to think there are no issues and that everything is hunky dory with the T Class rules yet he might have just pointed out several that he would have issues with.

I am not sure what the burning of the Millers, Confessing Of Sins, Purity and Execution comments were all about but they do seem to make a mockery of the issues at hand or maybe it's us?

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
During this discussion, the small rifle primer issue was brought up regarding it's use in 32/40. Another forum member advised me that Marlin had small rifle primer cartridges made for their rifles, in 32/40, 38, 40 and 45 calibers. So, if there was any consern of the legality of using 30 American case for 32/40 here is the 1887 article written by Marlin to customers. Lots of other reading to be had also Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Frank,

Thanks for the link.
Nicely done finding the info confirming that both primer sizes were used for some common cartridges prior to the 1917 rule cut-off date.
Should help the Schuetzenmeister to be able to issue a final decision and to provide for any updates needed for rules revision/clarification.
      Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I have some really old 32 Win Special cases with the small rifle primer which I use to make 32/40  and  32/35 cases.   Ledball

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #69 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Bohemian way, 
                     G'day Charles , did you ever find out where you can get your hands on a reamer for the 30/30 Wesson? I seem to think you original question got rather lost!! CH4 have the loading dies in stock,Let me know if you find a reamer.Im hoping to build one on a small Martini,I have a breach seating system that works quite well on them.

Cheers From Aust, Mal.

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #70 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Ouch! and I suspect that is with a fixed pilot. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I think John Holland is/was also looking for one. 

HTH

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 11:01am
Print Post  
LIKE:  "How many Angels will fit on the head of a pin"
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint