Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Traditional Rifle rules revisited (Read 38260 times)
RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Traditional Rifle rules revisited
Jun 13th, 2013 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
With the plethora of pre-1917 design scopes now available, MVA B series, MVA Malcolm, Leatherwood Malcolm w/DZ mounts, etc., I submit it is time we re-think the scopes that are allowable under the ASSRA, ISSA and WSU traditional rifle rules. When those rules were drafted, there were no real options for pre-1917 scopes except originals. Allowing Unertl, Fecker, Lyman, etc. with external mounts was only natural, given the availability of those scopes at that time.
The world has made a few turns since those rules were adopted by the Big Three schuetzen organizations and scopes that are more in keeping with the pre-1917 rule are now commonly available. I know, I know, there are people squealing “I have a significant investment in Unertls” (me too) BUT if we as a group (traditional rifle shooters) decide to revise the rules, any changes could be implemented over time, say 3-5 years.
In an attempt to get a conversation started, I’ll throw this proposal on the table:
Remove this sentence from the existing traditional rules*:

Lyman, Unertl, Fecker, and Litchert scopes are specifically allowed.

Insert this sentence in its place:

Scopes may be original or reproduction, of straight-tube design, no more than 7/8” tube diameter, no more than 20X and have period-correct external adjustments.

While the commercially available scopes are 3/4” diameter and 3-6X, I think there is sufficient historical evidence to support the rule as I stated it.

I further propose that if the rules are changed, they don’t take affect for 2 years from the  date of the rule change and they apply first to offhand matches, followed 2 years later for bench rest.
To keep a traditional class faithful to the pre-1917 precept, I think it is time we have an open and honest conversation about whether we really want to adhere to the spirit of those rules.
*The traditional rifle rules can be accessed at the ASSRA, ISSA and WSU web sites.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Traditional Rifle rules revisited
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
"Scopes may be original or reproduction, of straight-tube design, no more than 7/8” tube diameter, no more than 20X and have period-correct external adjustments".

For those worried about the mounts, I just did a little checking in Stroebels book and in 1900 both Stevens and H. M. Pope had rear mounts that had micrometer adjustments and in 1909 the A5, B5 and B3 could be had with click adjustable micrometer turrets.

I think that may help with going in this direction and returning to traditional equipment.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Stevens was the most prolific scope maker prior to 1917. Again, in Stroebel's book, he list Stevens scopes made in the following tube diameters:
1/2, 5/8, 3/4 and 7/8.

Many of the 500 & 600 series Stevens scopes were made with 7/8's tubes, from 4X to 20X. The 20X came out no later than 1906. 

I believe that RSW's "of straight-tube design" eliminates the larger objective bells of the more modern external scopes.

Most of the early scopes used a sliding tube in side the main tube for objective parallax and focus.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2013 at 4:02pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Since I don't even have a rifle that would qualify for competition, I doubt that my vote means a whole heckofalot but I definitely approve of the idea.  When I do get around to competing, however feeble the efforts may be, I will be bang alongside Traditional competition.  Shoot, if you're going to go all modern/space age/digital, why shoot a single shot?

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
As I shoot a High Wall, 2x Low Walls and a Hepburn with open sights or an MVA scope I'm all for the proposed rule change. I would like to see the 'traditional' class have a restriction of 6x, max, as well. Heck......... would even vote for BP. Wink

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Randy it is already difficult to try to stay up with the modern rifles on the bench, I fear your proposal might tend to make it even more difficult? I think the time has come to look at the whole traditional picture. It needs to become a totally seperate and recognized class all of it's own and seperate from the rest. To keep it alive it needs to become more affordable to build one, the original actions are becoming extremely hard to come by in decent usable condition with one typicaly having to dump more money into one to get it up and running. The scopes currently allowed still remain affordable and seem to be plentiful. The MVA and or the retrofit DZ mounts to get a scope up and running would tend to be quite expensive. The other thing that should be looked at as well newer acceptable actions to keep the entry level costs down would be the old rules for bench shooting. Bags have to be used and return to battery and anti cant devices are not allowed. To those I have talked to about this very concerning issue, the main emphasis has been on affordable rifles of traditional appearance using the old traditioal original rules. It is also my hopes that the moderators will see fit to let this topic continue as I will now back out of it unless you have some questions you would like me to openly address.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't have a problem grandfathering any original scope of the traditional period. 

I think the proposed rules are aimed more at allowing the use of repro's and post 1917 scopes that meet the contruction criteria of the pre 1917 scopes, making available more scopes to fill the need.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Are replica actions of those invented before 1917 allowed?  Seeing the CPA rifles shown here I would think so but I want to be sure.  And if they aren't, how about adding them to the Traditional category, too.  Naturally this excludes any coil springs, like on the 1885 I suspect, and certainly the Ruger singles . . .   Uh, where are the rules posted, anyway?   Embarrassed

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I like the idea of a Traditional class only, don't shoot Irons agence scopes in the same match.

I am not a contender in any match, so I would shoot for my pleasure because I like to shoot. If I win I win. If I loose I loose. I ask myself this question, did I have a good time? I always have a good time , enjoy the company of the other shooters. That is the  enjoyment of shooting.

ron Wink

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Naturally this excludes any coil springs, like on the 1885 I suspect, and certainly the Ruger singles . . .

Walter,

Are you saying we couldn't use a rifle that has a firing pin return spring, ejector (or lever) that uses a coil spring loaded plunger or detent, or are you referring just to coil spring mainsprings?
Would all external scope mounts need to use grasshopper and/or leaf springs?

Rules are found in the stickies at the top of the Announcements section.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Sorry, I meant mainspring.  Of course, if any pre-17 action had one, I withdraw my silly suggestion.   I mean, there may be.  I haven't done that much research on the subject. Grin

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I don't consider it a silly suggestion. Just trying to clear up my own confusion on what you were meaning.
         Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Make traditional two classes offhand & Bench. Bench Muzzle and elbow rest only.  No mechanical rest only adjustment elevation screw. Its the only thing that can touch the rifle except the shooter.

Scope rule out anything but original or replica of pre WWI models. No clicks no bell objective lens power limit too  

Look at the photos of the Dr Mann period set up's come up with a rule that fits what they did then.

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Boats Mann had and used a 20x John Sidle scope with parralax adjustments and click adjustable mounts. Pretty much the same as Unertl and Lyman targetspots.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
John L
You are definitely correct about a traditional rifle, say a Ballard, not being competitive, head-to-head against a well-tuned Miller rifle on match after match basis. As to traditional rifles not competing against open class, that would not be a problem except most matches I’ve attended are predominantly open class.
Equipment affordability is always and issue but for there to be a viable traditional class, that can not be the criterion on which equipment is or is not acceptable. 
To other responders to my initial post, please take the time to read the Traditional Rifle rules before suggesting the class be re-invented. Unless there is a ground-swell demand to completely re-write the rules, all I’m suggesting is tweaking the scope definition to better comply with the pre-1917 spirit of the rules.
Randy

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint