Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Chamber Rings Discussed (Read 29413 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Chamber Rings Discussed
Reply #45 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I believe the lack of air space is why you don't see or have heard it mentioned in the Varmint calibers. Those were typically full case loads. The problems arise with the placement in the wad in relationship to the powder in reduced capacity loads. I will use the 32-40 case as an example. That case holds 40grs. of black powder, in our Schuetzen loads we are only using charges of 12-14 grains with the substantial remaining capacity being air.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
In using 1/16 cork of the highest grade for well over 4 years I tried in vain to find a wad for examination. When sticking one of this type on a tooth pick and ignited by a match, it was very quickly was reduced to ash. The wad was being used at the base of the bullet and not as an over powder wad. I purchased some lesser quality 3/32 cork and I did not achieve the same results. The performance of the 3/32 cork of lesser quality also provided sub-standard results at the target and were quickly discontinued from use.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #47 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Was the 'higher quality' vs 'lesser quality' that of coarseness of granulation, resistance to crumbling or something else?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Not sure what words to use to describe it, it was substantially more tighter grained / finer grained, compressed more like a solid if that makes sense. It was also what I would consider to be quite pricey, pushing close to 2.00 a sq.ft. The 3/32 was only a tad over 5.00 for an 8 foot roll 12 inches wide and very chunky / course and not as tightly compressed.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #49 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 9:08pm:
Not sure what words to use to describe it, it was substantially more tighter grained / finer grained, compressed more like a solid if that makes sense. It was also what I would consider to be quite pricey, pushing close to 2.00 a sq.ft. The 3/32 was only a tad over 5.00 for an 8 foot roll 12 inches wide and very chunky / course and not as tightly compressed.

J.Louis

that defines it.  Thanks!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #50 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
I have used cork for many years as a wad in the case mouth to keep small quantities of smokeless powder from falling into my action when breech seating in CBA competition; I found most of the mechanic/gasket grade cork material was a combination of cork and other things, rubber/vinyl and or some form of binders to hold it together. Once I went to CR 117 cork from the Cork Store {it comes in 2' x 3' sheets} (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) stopped having the burning rubber smell and mild but tough to remove fouling in the bore. I use the .8mm or 1/16" and it has worked perfectly for many years now. If you care to experiment with cork they have many  varieties including colored which I thought to purchase so I could find the wads in front of the rifle barrel easier.
Mike

PS:Still never found a cork CR 117 wad I have fired!

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #51 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
I posted this some time ago, but the experience was so unique i'll repeat it.  I was shooting a .40-70 straight (2 1/2") Axtell sharps using an unusually light 275gr. cast bullet & a powder I had never used before in this rifle..H4227..looking for an accurate light recoil load.
   I weighed out a two grain tuft of Kapok.  pulling it out to a cigar shape, longer than case, I gently inserted it into case mouth stuffing it in, & placing .03" veg. fiber wad flush in case mouth, bullet seating put final compress on filler.
   Firing 1st. round..recoil & report sounded normal..a hole appeared very low on 100yd. backer..normal with so light a start load.
   As is my habit, I blew thru bore for inspection..alot of powder fouling..also normal with light load.
Next shot felt same, with same report..another hole appeared low on backer..opening action..lots of blackish smoke..blowing thru failed to clear!
   running rod in, revealed an obstruction right at chamber end. I thought it was a bullet..even though there were two holes in backer..could one have already been there?
   I couldn't believe my eyes what came out the breech end of that barrel..the Kapok with the .030" fiber wad attatched looked for all the world like a shotgun fiber overpowder wad!  It was compressed to 3/8" height & .40 dia.
    I fired once more & this was normal..but I didn't fire any more & pulled those loads.
   A very careful check of rifle & chamber showed no damage.
   Now I wonder how did that Kapok wad end up at the breech end of a 34" long barrel AFTER the bullet had left bore?
   I have not loaded Kapok or any other filler in this rifle since.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #52 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 8:38am
Print Post  
I shoot my bench rifle free recoil with my head up off the gun so I can watch the wind flags. I have seen hundreds of my cork wads come out of the barrel and flutter down to the ground 10 or 12 yards out. 
The oddest thing I have had happen, and I have had it happen more than once, is that after firing the wad that I placed .100 off the powder is still in the case. There is no appreciable difference in the point of impact but when I go to de-cap there is an obstruction in the case using tweezers I pull out the wad. 
40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Wow having the wad stay in the case is really odd 40 Rod, what size cork are you using. I have looked in vain for my cork wads for inspection  back when I was using them on numerous occasions and dang if I could find any. On one occasion during a CBA match with a predominant head wind the fellow next me was complaining about a fine dust blowing back in his face. Said it was coming from my rifle and asked what I was doing. I told him I was using a cork wad at the base of the bullet and he asked me to stop, so I did and it stopped. That prompted me to start looking for them as I thought they were going down range. 

J.Louis

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 5:12pm
Print Post  

Quote:
I met only a couple of times - at Society of Manufacturing Engineers meetings.

Manufacturing Engineers are almost synonymous with Industrial Engineers, they manage work flow, where to place the machines for efficiency, production statistics, robotics, loading dock heights, etc., etc.

For the type of engineering necessary to solve this chamber ringing phenomenon, my choice would be a four year university educated mechanical engineer with a minor in physics. 

CMM

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
CMM I highly recommend picking up Charlie's book, not a huge of amount of money by any means. Read all he has to say, look at his means and methods, those who assisted him, their credentials and then get back to us with any disagreements you might have to hash around. I do not have the time to type out the whole chapter on your behalf our where the subject it  mentioned in other chapters. My intent was to only share the means found not to ring a chamber in hopes it would keep a member here from doing so. From the outset you have tried to substantiate the testing was flawed, the people were flawed and basically the whole theory is flawed. All this ranting and raving being done while not having full knowledge of what is presented in the book nor paying any attention to what has been posted. The actual cause of the problem also outlined in the book was determined about 150 years ago by Paul Vieille. In regards to having minor in physics one of those involved in the tests is a rocket fuel engineer so one would think he had some minor knowledge in physics. Get the book, gain it's knowledge then come back and post what you think. Hopefully doing so with a more positive attitude when knowing all of the facts, in lieu of this string of continued assumptions while lacking all knowledge.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #56 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 5:12pm:

Quote:
I met only a couple of times - at Society of Manufacturing Engineers meetings.

Manufacturing Engineers are almost synonymous with Industrial Engineers, they manage work flow, where to place the machines for efficiency, production statistics, robotics, loading dock heights, etc., etc.

For the type of engineering necessary to solve this chamber ringing phenomenon, my choice would be a four year university educated mechanical engineer with a minor in physics. 

CMM

That was my connection with him.  His reputation was that of being most professional in tool and die.  That translates directly (to me) to thorough hands-on knowledge/experience with materials, machining prectices as well as mechanical design.

But look at his work and look at those who worked with him (what they have said).

In essence it was "A" produces ringing and by changing it a little to "B" ringing was not produced.

THAT is the basis from which to dig deeper.  If "A" did it, don't do "A".  If "B" didn't do it then use "B" within reason.

Dig deeper!  Why did "A" produce ringing?  What were the physics behind it?  Delimit the potential reasons and devise experiments to prove them.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Chamber Rings Continued
Reply #57 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:02am
Print Post  
For those who have viewed this subject with an open mind and have found the contents interesting and useful who do not have a copy of Charlie's book I wanted to provide the following from another chapter that leads up to the chapter on Chamber Ringing. The intent is so you will become comfortable with the use of wads when knowing how to properly place them. 

Page 1
First of all let me put to rest the myth that ringed chambers are the product of wads placed on the powder. We do not know all of the answers at this time but we have confirmed the cause.The cause of the problem was first discovered by Paul Vielle in France almost 100 years ago. Veille was one of the developers of smokeless powders and an outstanding authority on explosives the accompanying shock waves and their properties and effect.

J.Louis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Chamber Rings Continued
Reply #58 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Page 2
The ringing force is caused by the transformation of the kinetic energy of a moving GAS column coming to an abrupt halt, the kinetic energy is transformed into a ring of static (stagnation) pressure at the base of the bullet. When this stagnation pressure exceeds the yield strength of the barrel of steel a ring begins to form. It is not the result of a single shot but is an accumulative effect, often not noticed until case extraction becomes a problem. Anything that breaks up the coherent nature of the gas column reduces or eliminates the static stagnation pressure which is the ringing force. We have demonstrated the ringing force with no powder restraint at all by merely firing vertically. The solution has been outlined in earlier posts that being the postilion of the powder / slump and having the wad .010 to 0.20 off the powder. While keeping in mind the .010 did show slight signs of ringing and 0.20 eliminated the effect.

J.Louis

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Mfg Eng. define the tools, machines and methods used to manufacture. I've never heard of a degree in mfg. eng., typically Mech Eng in my exp. Ind Engs, I'm one, deal with people methods, time required, work flow, plant layout, eqpt/plant purchase.
At least when/where I worked.
joe b.   

[quote 

CMM
  [/quote]

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint