Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Chamber Rings Discussed (Read 29417 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Chamber Rings Discussed
Reply #30 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Joe it is posted for the benefit of the rest of the group that does not have access to the book. There are quite a few miss-statements being made here and I am clarifying them on behalf of Charlie Dell and the rest of his extended family.

If you have read the book more times than myself then you are getting some good use out of it and congratulations on a great purchase, keep on reading.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Frank great post, Charlie was looking for smaller extreme spreads buy use of a wad. I would have to  go back and look at what he came up with to be certain. I know he determined that either having the powder oriented at the front of the case or the back of the case that he saw a decrease in extreme spreads and an increase in accuracy. There was a slight decrease noted in regards to velocity in feet per second when the powder was oriented at the mouth of the case in comparison to having the powder oriented at the back of the case. I believe a wad when placed properly to allow the powder slump does provide an advantage. Charlie would at times use a wad off the powder and another one at the base of the bullet and he also felt that showed a slight increase in accuracy as well. The wad at the bullet base is something I have had great success with and the purpose for its use is to protect the base of the bullet.

Again thanks for your positive and valuable input on chamber ringing.

J.Louis

IP Logged

ACGould

Reply #32 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
An excellent discussion of the use of wads!  In my own experience, in the early 1970's when articles first appeared in the Rifleman regarding Dacron Wads, a friend of mine and I tried them.  Small tuft of Dacron seated lightly on the powder.  Mine was a custom Ruger#1 in 30-30 and his was a nice original High Wall in 30 US.  We were using fixed ammunition with gas check bullets as it was several years before we discovered breech seating with plain base bullets.  After about 50 shots (very respectable accuracy) we noticed that cases were getting hard to extract.  Both chambers were ringed right at base of the bullet. Other than the occasional use of card wads at the base of the bullet in BPC loads, I wrote off any other wad use as not only a PITA but an expensive problem waiting to happen.  Your mileage may vary.
ACGould

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I am a rank novice in the SS rifle "game" so have no bush to pee on here. Recently I have read Mr. Dell's writing including that on the subject of chamber ringing. In fact his book is open to the chapter, at hand as I write this.

A method used in science and engineering to demonstrate almost immeasurable changes caused by whatever is to use a method by which the changes are much greater and more easily measurable. This is the combination of Mr Dell's annealed brass chamber 10 grains of Bullseye powder charge (which burns almost entirely within a cartridge case).  Inquiring minds here are already aware of thes things. 

To be fair, there is in the paragraph beginning "Other possible solutions..." on page 343 of THE MODERN SCHUETZEN RIFLE which reads "Certainly the strength of the modern barrel steels would have prevented ringing in all but the most aggravated circumstances." Considering the use of brass chambers and old soft steel barrels I concede the probability of outcomes of Mr Dell's experimenting. I DO NOT recall ever having read in any of the many discussions on this subject on this forum Mr. Dell's own caveat regarding barrel steels which I have quoted above. A man of Mr. Dell's education, knowledge and experience would have known that the ringing effect depended on the relationships between generated forces (i.e. chamber pressures), yield strength and modulus of elasticity of the barrel/chamber material in use. BTW, NOT an argument with anyone, just comments. 

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Regarding the use of Dacron as wadding in cartridges, I have read that information based on testing done by  Col. E.H. Harrison, C.E. Harris and others of the NRA tech staff, was distributed through NRA publications. At least a couple of thes men had excellent credentials in the field(s) of small arms and ammunition development. On a level with Dell, it seems.

Reports from readers of chamber ringing problems when using Dacron wads caused NRA to cease publishing any loading data involving the use of Dacron wads. As I understand the story, the tech staff members did not personally cease to use Dacron as they had no problems with the practice, within the bounds of methods they had proven. All I have read recently on the topic sems to indicate chamber ringing incidents  arise from combinations of reduced charges of fast-burning pistol powders and Dacron wads. Those using rifle powders like 4895 combined with Dacron seem to have little if any problem with the practice.
It seems there is carefully thought-out and researched experimentation or there is give-er-a-try playing with dynamite (nitroglycerin?) which can hurt!

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 12:33pm
Print Post  

Quote:
A man of Mr. Dell's education, knowledge and experience would have known that the ringing effect depended on the relationships between generated forces (i.e. chamber pressures), .  .  .  .

hi Don --  Thanks for adding these important points which seem to have been overlooked (or not know) by the other gentlemen who responded.  Of course, the other possibility is that a few did know these points, but intentionally left them out.

I am wondering what is your understanding of the level of education that Mr. Dell possessed at the time he did his chamber ringing analysis?  I would deduce that a very comprehensive background in the subjects of "Strength of Material" and "Metallurgy", both theory and practice, is necessary for one to opine on the subject/s with authority.

Again, you make very interesting and positive points for consideration.

CMM

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Not to argue just to add as it is a fascinating subject for some of those here.

When we look at the bottom line there are those such as AC Gould and friend as well as others who have rung their chambers with modern steel barrels. Powder position that included a powder slump was found to eliminate the ringing effects. One of those individuals who was actually involved in helping Charlie with his tests has been  using an over powder wad under those guidelines and has shot literally thousands of shots with no ill effects and still continues to do so.

In regards to Dacron from what I have read else where it is said that it turns into a goo thus becoming a solid and none compressible. It is then stated that it would have the same effect of pouring water down the carburetor and into the combustion chamber and because it can not be compressed by the piston a catastrophic failure of one of the metal components is the end result.

If you take a 1/16 inch cork wad and stick it on the end of a toothpick and ignite it, it very quickly turns to ash and is consumed in the burning of the powder and the same holds true with floral foam. If you take a piece of Dacron and this holds true for some other wad materials being used and ignite it, it will melt and turn into a solid and thus they should not be used.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #37 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
I met Charlie Dell only a couple of times - at Society of Manufacturing Engineers meetings.  He was WELL respected in that community for his tool & die expertise.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I hold Charlie very dear to my heart, he has provided more for the Schuetzen community than any one has in several decades. He has always used state of the art practices for his testing and has recruited the help of those with the required credentials to assist in order to not provide false positives and or miss information. His integrity was unsurpassed and unquestionable, his hours of testing on our behalf endless and if you were fortunate to be a part of his extended family as myself, he would give you his shirt off his back, as well as rifles, moulds or anything required to shoot this wonderful sport to one in need. He was not biased in his testing, he had personal opinions same as all of use, but he would not include those into his test results. They were what they were and Charlie took them for just that then kindly passed it onto use, the shooting community. With that being said anyone who would question who he was as a person, or his integrity is no friend of mine. More importantly they know not what they speak and are foolish for not keeping their mouth shut.

J.Louis
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:47pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 11:42am
Print Post  
So,John, if I disagree with Charlie, will I definitely go to hell?
Even about his twist formula?
joe b.

JLouis wrote on Oct 29th, 2012 at 8:12pm:
I hold Charlie very dear to my heart, he has provided more for the Schuetzen community than any one has in several decades. He has always used state of the art practices for his testing and has recruited the help of those with the required credentials to assist in order to not provide false positives and or miss information. His integrity was unsurpassed and unquestionable, his hours of testing on our behalf endless and if you were fortunate to be a part of his extended family as myself, he would give you his shirt off his back, as well as rifles, moulds or anything required to shoot this wonderful sport to one in need. He was not biased in his testing, he had personal opinions same as all of use, but he would not include those into his test results. They were what they were and Charlie took them for just that then kindly passed it onto use, the shooting community. With that being said anyone who would question who he was as a person, his tests results and his integrity is no friend of mine. More importantly they know not what they speak and are foolish for not keeping their mouth shut.

J.Louis

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #40 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
My Hoch rifle has a few thousand rounds through it with Styrofoam wads seated firmly on the powder. If theres a ring it will be at the lead. 

Also use cork wads with BP and smokeless. They dont burn up. I find them on the ground and reusable.  

Dacron "melts into a solid"?   

I remember reading a long time ago that Dacron goes hydraulic  (liquid) under pressure. When it hits the base of the bullet it radiates 360 degrees at the bullet base causing a ring in the bore. The article recommended cotton as a filler.

Joe. 

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:14pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Joe B
Nothing to do with Charlie, it has to do with your relationship with your creator and the acceptance or rejection of this son.

J.Louis

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
[quote author=617365627364787364160 
Dacron "melts into a solid"?  

I remember reading a long time ago that Dacron goes hydraulic  (liquid) under pressure. When it hits the base of the bullet it radiates 360 degrees at the bullet base causing a ring in the bore. The article recommended cotton as a filler. Joe. 
[/quote]

Joe, I have read these kinds of reports also. I have never read of a science lab-generated study as to just what "actually" happens within a cartridge containing a filler such as Dacron when the cartridge is fired. I have read emperical "evidence" (which I don't discount out of hand) and I have read much conjecture. 
This thread has me thinking about what happens to a filler and within a case during the milliseconds a powder charge burns. I'm leaning toward thinking what happens may not mesh with all the conjecture. A for-instance that comes to mind is why does toilet tissue not burn up within case or barrel when used as filler, being as easily ignited as it is. I think it has to do with the heat generated during the burn time of the powder charge.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
This thread has me thinking about what happens to a filler and within a case during the milliseconds a powder charge burns. I'm leaning toward thinking what happens may not mesh with all the conjecture. A for-instance that comes to mind is why does toilet tissue not burn up within case or barrel when used as filler, being as easily ignited as it is. I think it has to do with the heat generated during the burn time of the powder charge.

That is a excellent question! Since air temp increases at the rate of 2 deg for every 1lb it's compressed, it would seem, even at our low pressures of + - 20,000 psi that 40,000 deg of temp would disintegrate tisue paper in a instant. I do know that it's in a oxygen depleated chamber. Even so, it seems odd it would come out in as good a shape as it does and that goes for most if not all materials used that way.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #44 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Interesting posts!  I have a question..Back in the 1930's and 40's the use of a grease type wad under a jacketed bullet in high velocity .22 varmint loads was practiced in the hope of reducing bore wear.
   The grease wad didn't need to melt to become a liquid..it would be able to exert hydralic force in it's natural state.   And some of those early .22 centerfire barrels started out as  re-chambered soft steel .22 rimfire barrels.
   If there was ever a perfect condition for barrel ringing..this would have been it.
   Yet I can find nothing written of this in early loading books.   Just a thought.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint