Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Chamber Rings Discussed (Read 29419 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Chamber Rings Discussed
Oct 20th, 2012 at 8:53am
Print Post  

An interesting and informative discussion RE: chamber rings, with quotes from Mr. Charles E. Dell and his investigation into the phenomenon.

Available at;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

CMM

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Chamber Rings Discussed
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Interesting. Wayne states that Dell ringed barrels using smokeless loads with wads. Having not shot any smokeless loads in my BP rifles as of yet (starting next month), it is my understanding that the smokeless loads should not have a wad, regardless of how full the case might be. Is that correct?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
That is not correct per Charlie's findings. If the wad is left off the powder column by .10 it would create a faint ring and having it .20 off the ringing affect went away. There is more to it as wad material comes into affect as well. Anything that turns into a plasticized state while being burned must also be avoided. I highly recommend picking up Charlie's book it is a wealth of information and I reference it often. The chapter on chamber ringing is worth the cost of the book alone and he goes into great detail on the matter. The comment on Texas Mac's web site about Charlie ringing chambers by having the wad off the powder column is incorrect, that stops the ringing affect. It was when the wad was placed directly on top of the powder column that Charlie could ring chambers at will. From the book on page 343 in Charlie's words " With the cork wad on the powder ten shots and we had a ring forming, with the .010 standoff we saw possibly a hint of a ring and with .020 standoff there was no ring." Again wad material comes into play plus some other factors so buy the book to read the entire testing methods and materials and chamber ringing should no longer be a concern.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Is Dell's book still in print? Got any suggestions on where to find a copy? Thanks.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
It is available from Buffalo Arms for a mere $195.00 of from the ASSRA Archives for $60.00 your choice. Fell free to add a donation to the ASSRA as we sell to to cheap. But it is what Charlie wanted.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Does the ASSRA having any signed copies Laurie. 

I thought I would ask on SSShooter's behalf.

I picked up mine from Charlie back in early 2000 and it has been one of those best money I ever spent items and I still use it all the time.

J.Louis

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
J.Louis
They are all unsigned.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks Laurie.

J.Louis

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
fallingblock wrote on Oct 20th, 2012 at 8:02pm:
It is available from Buffalo Arms for a mere $195.00 of from the ASSRA Archives for $60.00 your choice. Fell free to add a donation to the ASSRA as we sell to to cheap. But it is what Charlie wanted.
Cheers,
Laurie

Wow.  I thought that was a typo so I just went to the BACO sight to check.  I paid a lot less than that when I bought mine from them a couple of years ago.  I think I paid $60 or $70 dollars.  It is a great book.

Chris.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 2:31am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Oct 20th, 2012 at 12:40pm:
The comment on Texas Mac's web site about Charlie ringing chambers by having the wad off the powder column is incorrect, that stops the ringing affect.

J.Louis

J. Louis, you misread my comments & need to go back & read the article again.  I did not indicate that Charlie ringed chambers by having the wad off the powder column.  The comments in my article are as follows: "In the book, The Modern Schuetzen Rifle - Second Edition (Copyright 1999) by Charles E. Dell and Wayne Schwartz, Charles Dell devoted a chapter to his chamber ringing experiments. Using smokeless powder, he was successful in repeatedly ringing chambers with reduced powder loads with gaps between the over-powder wad and bullet base."

Nothing was said in my article about gaps between the powder and the wad.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2012 at 3:30pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Thanks for the leads on Dell's book.

.......... is anyone using a wad with their smokeless loads? Specifically thinking 25-20WCF and 25-35WCF.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Well, I used to use a pinch of toilet paper in the neck of 32-20's and 25-20 WCF's over Unique with no problems in Model 44 "Ideal"'s.  But I gave up those bad smokeless habits years ago.

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Quote:

An interesting and informative discussion RE: chamber rings, with quotes from Mr. Charles E. Dell and his investigation into the phenomenon.

Available at;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Let me repeat, A More Than Interesting Article, by a substantial patron of the sport and worthy of your time reading it.

Thanks Wayne for your appearance here today and for your clarification.  Keep up the good work.   Wink

CMM

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
I am not interested in starting a peeing contest.   

Now consider this statement; "repeatedly ringing chambers with reduced powder loads with gaps between the over-powder wad and bullet base".  I have read the book [last winter] and all of Charlies experiments had a gap between the bullet base and the powder, because those cartridge cases were not full of powder.  His solution to prevent ringing chambers was to never allow the powder charge to be held perpendicular to the bore, or ringing will occur.

Keep on ahv'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 22nd, 2012 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mike, you are correct with your statment having the powder held perpendicular to the bore   would ring the chamber. All of Charlies ringing tests did have an air space between the wad and the base of the bullet. In fact at times two wads were used, one a .020 standoff from the powder and one in the case mouth and or at the bullets base with no ringing effect. Air space was always present and anything under the .020 standoff either showed faint signs of a ring occurring and on the powder a consistent ringing of the chamber.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint