Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Weihrauch HW-52 Disassembly - w/photos (Read 8334 times)
chuckjordan2

Weihrauch HW-52 Disassembly - w/photos
Jun 30th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I've searched high & low the past 2 years for a schematic/manual on the HW-52.   Nothing, nada.

I have friends in Germany (one even has this model currently and another is a retired Walther gunsmith).  Nobody has anything, nor, can give me details on how 
to disassemble it.

So, after my two HW-52's arrived this week, and, both haven't been serviced since leaving the factory, it's time for the bicentennial strip, lube, and reassembly.

I'm listing my steps below along with photos.   So far as I know, these are the only photo's on the 'net of this process.   Hopefully, this will help someone else in the future (or me when I get my 3rd, 4th......)

Since there's a 2000 character limit, my steps will be in the following post.

Chuck
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:13am by chuckjordan2 »  

IP Logged

chuckjordan2

Weihrauch HW-52 Disassembly steps - w/photos
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
1) remove the buttpad (varies by model).   Once removed there's a hollow cavity in the rear.

2) insert a 14mm deepwell socket on an extension that's at least 8"

3) loosen the 14mm nut inside.  This allows the buttstock to be removed

4) the forend is a litte tricky (and the hardest part). At the forend tip are an inner and outer cap.   Remove the inner cap.

5) remove the outer cap (forend) using a small flat metal barstock.  you'll need to locate some metal barstock to unscrew the outercap (penetrating oil inside works wonders).

6) remove the forend.  Hint: small wooden blocks can be used to gently tap the forend forward and off on the match model.

7) the entire barreled action is then exposed and ready for strip.

8) holding the lower-lever near the forend, use a brass-punch/hardwood dowel and tap out the lowest/forend pin.   The level and return spring will come out.   careful as the spring is under pressure.

9) at the lower rear tang, remove the screw in the underside.   This exposes more of the action/sear assembly

10) at this point punch-out the remaining pins and remove the sear and fallblock.

11) the fallblock houses the firing pin and the retainer along with the compression spring can be slid-out.   There is a fulcrum pin holding the firing pin.  punch it out.

Clean, lube, and reassemble by reversing the above steps.

Now for the good part, pictures.   pictures tell a thousand words.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2012 at 8:07pm by chuckjordan2 »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Weihrauch HW-52 Disassembly - w/photos
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Nice detail Chuck,

How common are these rifles, any chance of quanity imports like we saw with Martini's few years ago ?

Boats

IP Logged

chuckjordan2

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Boats,

Good question.  While I'm not the expert on this model, my short answer is they're rare.   They were not made in quantities like the Martini's.   The manufacturer, Weihrauch, was (still is) small and airguns are their primary business. 

My German friend (who's also a Linksschütze - or left hand shooter) say's they're rare in Germany, so you can imagine finding one here.    One club shooter had one and sold it years ago.

They were used in a competition called 'match rifle'? as my friend above has informed me.   That competition stopped in the late 70's.   You can add it all up; no present competition use for these fine rifles (in Germany), and a small manufactured quantity.

At US prices, if I found a cache of them, I'd buy them all and sell them for retirement money.

It's unfortunate, but, there was a few that came for sale this winter.  Unfortunate because they were Estate sales.

I would defer to Biggie on any corrections to the above.

Chuck
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2012 at 9:01am by chuckjordan2 »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Thanks Chuck.

The Martini imports were a result of new gun laws in UK and Australia, and a few dedicated importers buying all they could sight unseen importing in bulk.

And lot of Martini's were in use. My Small bore club in Sydney had over 2 dozen club owned. 

Boats

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 11:18am
Print Post  
i don't recall UK gun laws changing in a way that affected .22 Martinis in the UK in my shooting lifetime---50+ years. In the 1960s, my old indoor range had stacks of Martinis in the lockers which nobody wanted or used. The reason was fashion--every rifle shooter wanted what the top guys were using and that was an Anschutz. The .22 rifle shooters in the UK normally shoot prone, indoors and at 25yds. The more adventurous go to the NSRA meeting at Bisley once a year and shoot at 100yds. The majority only own one rifle and want it to be the best available---or thought to be the best!
Fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Fred UK am only repeating what we heard in Australia may not have been correct. Australia when the laws were changed clubs had to re-apply for licenses.  It was up to the local police, and our club was told we had too many club rifles for our member base.  Government paid what they were "worth" and destroyed the guns over the allowed quantity.

I remember John Appleton the large importer in Front Royal Va telling me he bought most of his Martini's from clubs and schools in the UK. Might have been closing the programs down for other reasons than the gun laws.

Boats

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Very helpful, Chuck  Thanks for posting!

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Very helpful indeed.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JeffG
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
I am bringing this thread back up, because I am in the midst of trying to understand my own HW52 project. I have a very qualified barrel 'smith setting a new centerfire barrel up on my Beeman-branded receiver, and Chuck has been a very steady reference!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint