Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .22 R.F. Bore Wear? (Read 10652 times)
craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .22 R.F. Bore Wear?
Reply #15 - May 1st, 2020 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
It might be worth mentioning that RSW’s comment is approaching nine years ago. 

I’d think that no one could operate a bore rod perfectly straight and without flex, so I think rod guides have their place. 

I’d also suspect that a person would have to be disciplined in repetitive movements and set the rifle in the same position for cleaning. A change in rifle height, angle, foot position would probably all change the rubbing pressure and location to some varying degree. I’m just thinking a twelve o’clock blemish on one rifle may not translate to one on another rifle. Only thoughts, nothing more.

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - May 2nd, 2020 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Have a Win 52 22rf target rifle that was made in 1946. Was perviously owned by a dedicated small bore shooter. Had the gas ring almost all the way up to 3 and 9 o'clock. At first didn't know about the abrasives used in the priming compound. In one of the issues of Precision Shooting magazine this was discussed in detail.
Wouldn't clean up with a standard bore brush. While accuracy was good, had the barrel set back and rechambered and accuracy improved. Think maybe the article was authored by Bill Calfee. Frank

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - May 4th, 2020 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
JackHughs wrote on May 1st, 2020 at 10:39am:
My wife is a nationally ranked American Rimfire Association competitor (top 5 for the past four years.)

I'm the mechanic.  Proper cleaning is very important in this sport and we are all armed with precision bore guides and expensive cleaning rods to help minimize mechanical damage to the bore.  Hawkeye Borescopes are ubiquitous.

Our barrels experience non-mechanical erosion starting at 6:00 about an inch or so in front of the chamber.  Common wisdom is that this erosion is caused by the abrasives included in rimfire priming compounds.

JackHUghs

FWIW, ELEY (the primary culprit) changed up their priming relative to the larger compound silica (ground glass) used in their priming. The pitting seems far less aggressive these days.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - May 4th, 2020 at 9:41pm
Print Post  

[/quote]
FWIW, ELEY (the primary culprit) changed up their priming relative to the larger compound silica (ground glass) used in their priming. The pitting seems far less aggressive these days. [/quote]

Do you know when Eley made the change.  We may have ammo lots on hand that would be best set aside.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - May 4th, 2020 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Jack,
It was a good 1 1/2-2 years ago.I will also tell you the quality over the last year has been very good, virtually the equal of the better 2012 stuff.
Good luck

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint