Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need some barrel information. (Read 3236 times)
22_boomer

Need some barrel information.
May 2nd, 2020 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
I've seen barrels that were back-bored and wondered if that area that was not rifled at the muzzle end would cause a problem with the powder gas causing turbulence and mess up the bullet's accuracy? I've only seen this on heavy barrel 10/22's and wondered if there was a reason?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Need some barrel information.
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2020 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
It used to be a popular approach for the smallbore competitors back in 60's but I never fully understood why? If memory serves me right it was something that Remington had worked on that showed some improved accuracy potential. And I do remember reading an article on the advantages of back boring way back when. But it is also something that I have since forgotten about as it apparently did not pan out or it would still be around.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2020 at 8:40am
Print Post  
OTOH,
There seems to be some call for the idea for shorter barrels,
especially for 22s , but also for centerfire match rifles.
This is manifested in the use of bloop tubes added to(clamped on) short barrels.
Idea is to have shorter barrel time for the bullet, but still
a long iron sight radius. I would think this would be especially helpful for Off hand shooting.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

22_boomer

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2020 at 9:42am
Print Post  
The reason I asked is I have an old barrel will the rifling at the muzzle end messed up and I don't want to cut the barrel but thought about back-boring to good rifling. The outside surface of the barrel looks good enough to clean up and re-blue the barrel but it looks like the barrel was left muzzle down for years and corrosion messed up the rifling and then somebody tried to "Fix" it.

IP Logged

oldstarfire
Participating Member

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2020 at 11:02am
Print Post  
A friend of mine uses back bored barrels quite a bit (22rf) with no problems. All I can say, no personal experience.

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2020 at 11:56am
Print Post  
IIRC "Precision Shooting"  did a series or articles shooting in a warehouse to eliminate wind, temp variations, etc. The rifles were ppc's and the barrels were only 20". They got pretty good results. I keep thinking I should sacrifice a .22 LR barrel by cutting it down using modern target ammo and see where the velocity maxes out. Ah but roundtoits are hard to find. 'Course since one wants to start subsonic that might just mess things up. 
Only a bunch of experimentation will tell the story. Can't win them all.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2020 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I can speak from personal experience that the back bored barrel has not caused any loss or gain of accuracy. I've had several, and have one in .22LR presently. The other two came to me already done, and I believe it was done to repair a damaged crown, and not change the length of the barrel, or outward appearance. I was hesitant to buy the first one, but the price was cheap enough I figured I'd reline, or replace the barrel if it shot poorly. It shot great, so never changed anything.
  The gun I have now is a full sized #1 Rolling Block chambered in .22LR. It had a 22" half octagon barrel on it when I bought it, and shot extremely well. A beautiful trigger job, and really nice custom extractor. I loved everything about it, except that stupid stubby barrel.
I took it to John Taylor and we discussed the possibility of welding on 8" of barrel and relining it. But seemed a shame to hurt a good bore. So instead John turned the round part of the barrel down smaller, and made up @19" section of .45 caliber barrel to slip over the turned down section. He made it a snug enough fit to press on with Loctite, and butt to the octagon portion. So it now is a 30" barrel, externally, but 8" of it is .45 cal. and 22" is .22LR.
The proof was in the shooting afterwards, and it shoots exactly as it did before. But now it looks correct, and not too stubby for the overall appearance.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2020 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 12:43pm:
He made it a snug enough fit to press on with Loctite, and butt to the octagon portion. So it now is a 30" barrel, externally, but 8" of it is .45 cal. and 22" is .22LR.

Good combination and you don't even have to switch barrels.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2020 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
I have had to backbore a few old barrels that were muzzle wore for 2-5" with the rest of the bore being good. It turned the barrels into good shooting barrels where before some of them would even keyhole. 
Lee Gibbs Pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2020 at 6:57am
Print Post  
beltfed wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 8:40am:
OTOH,
There seems to be some call for the idea for shorter barrels, especially for 22s , but also for centerfire match rifles.
beltfed/arnie

Don't recall who did the study (Tenex or Federal or someone 'serious') and where published some years ago (prior to the turn of the century - may have been in Precision Shooting before its demise), but their tests showed that there was no advantage to a length longer than 17.xx inches for a .22RF target barrel other than a longer sight radius. 
Anschutz, who may know a thing or two about .22RF barrels, offers lengths of ~26" & 27" on their current crop of target rifles and as short as 18" on their sporting models.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

22_boomer

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2020 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I had also thought about drilling out the bore and lining it but the liners for a barrel this length cost more than a replacement used barrel in good shape. So I'm back to the back-boring but what is the standard diameter for back-boring a 22 rimfire?

By the way, Thanks for all the replies. I was not sure if the question I posted was crazy or not.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2020 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
I haven't read it for awhile but I think that back boring is how Bill Calfee came up with the idea for 22rf barrel tuners. He happened by pure luck to stop the back bore at the perfect spot for the harmonics of the particular rifle and load. The weight of the back bored section acted as a tuner. His is an interesting book even though there is a lot of "yarning" to sort out.

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint