Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .22 R.F. Bore Wear? (Read 10651 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

.22 R.F. Bore Wear?
Jul 6th, 2011 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  I have a question concerning rimfire bore wear, I have a couple of .22 rimfire barrels  approx. 80 years old or so,  They have match type chambers.   One brl. has a land at 12:00 that when an Eley Tenex is chambered, just a light land mark is pressed into bulet surface.  The two lands to right & left are more distinct, but still are shallower than the other lands in lower part of brl.  The other brl. shows only scuff marks at the 12:00 position..no land mark visable. All other land marks are very light.  Now at 50yds., with Eley and Lapua match,  they both  will put 5 shots into a small cloverleaf..sometimes into one ragged hole.  So the accuracy doesn't seem to be harmed.  Everything I have read of rimfire shooting wear states it begins at bottom of bore and gradually works up both sides.  It seems strange if cleaning rod wear that both brls. would show at same 12:00 position...And only there?  Could this indeed be from shooting?  Thanks!

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .22 R.F. Bore Wear?
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
22-5-40
It’s simple geometry. When cleaning the bore, you have a natural tendency to push/pull the cleaning rod in an arch because your arm is hung from your shoulder. Hence, the wear spot at 12:00.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 11:39am
Print Post  
I've seen, via a borescope, excessive wear @ both 6 and 12, largely due to a particular owners geometry when misusing a rod. As critical as a proper boreguide is when cleaning, with vintage SS .22's it becomes a near impossability. The best thing you can do is use a good, straight, coated rod to clean, be consious of pushing in straight, and go slow. Nothing is more alarming than watching somebody "sawing" on a rod with a big bow in it.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
My rifles only need a few passes with a oily patch. Avoid copper coated high speeds you don't have to scrub the bore. No more than I wipe can't imagine any damage from the rod. I spray with some Balistol let it sit an hour or so and the crud wipes right out with one or two patches.

All that rod work we learned in boot camp was a discipline lesson, good one too. Gun cleaning lesson it was a bad one.  I can still see the worn out muzzle of my boot camp M1 rifle. Always clean, never shot worth a darn.

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 11:06am
Print Post  
When I shot bullseye pistol we cleaned our bores at the end of the season. Never touched them during the season, as it wasn't necessary, and it just lead to uneccessary wear. Our team gunsmith told us to leave them alone unless they malfunctioned.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
The question as to weither to clean or not to clean a .22 Long Rifle gun has been hashed back and forth many times and many places. My personal  procedure is to thouroughly clean one when I get it and just run a patch with Hoppes through it after shooting followed by one or two dry patches and one with oil as final pass. More .22's have probably been worn out by cleaning rods than by shooting.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 9th, 2011 at 11:06am:
When I shot bullseye pistol we cleaned our bores at the end of the season. Never touched them during the season, as it wasn't necessary, and it just lead to uneccessary wear. Our team gunsmith told us to leave them alone unless they malfunctioned.

Agreed.  I was once reminded by my gunsmith, upon looking at my High Standard Bullseye gun', “Charlie, it is alright to clean these things!”  I guess I just kinda forgot.   

I do know more 22 barrels have been ruined by improper cleaning than by wear.  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.   Roll Eyes

Froggie

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
I have often thought about a pull thru method of cleaning using a cord. I do not scrub the bore with a back and forth motion, just use a piercing jag, push the patch thru and let it fall off. I have also wondered if I should clean from the muzzle end, as it is much easier to recrown a worn muzzle than to rechamber.
Mike

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
is it possibly erosion at 12 oclock not wear? That is where 10x was suppose to show the little crescent moon erosion

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
I only use a piece of rubber coated cable  with A loop on the end.I make them up myself. Same way I clean my air rifles. Balistol will take out everything in the bore with about three tight patches.  Though I have now been using "Lock-Ease" A graphite lock fluid after the cleaning. From one of the top BR shooters.  Just one more method that has worked for me.....

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
This is a good discussion; many years ago now, my father told me that you should never clean a good 22, because you run more risk of wearing the barrel by cleaning it then by shooting it. However I do clean my 22's, although I think it's important to carefully wipe down the rod with a patch and solvent beforehand, and a bore-guide is a good idea too. I think with high-pressure calibers, the bores can be destroyed by gas-cutting, but with 22's or low-pressure calibers, it's more an embedded cleaning rod that does the damage.  Sad

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 1st, 2020 at 8:28am
Print Post  
I occasionally use a bore rod, it happens to be a carbon fiber one that I constantly wipe off and have guides for some uses. Overall, I've settle on a homemade pull through line, but I do generally clean the chamber end with a bore brush. 

I'll pull a patch or two towards to chamber, because I think that's where most of the build up is. Then I mark a brush, usually with a zip tie, clean lightly ahead of the chamber and pull a few more patches, same direction to keep whatever loosens up around the chamber from running the full length through the bore. I use a few different solvents, but mostly Boretech rimfire. It's interesting to me and I'm open to adjusting thing that I do that might not quite be working out right.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - May 1st, 2020 at 8:58am
Print Post  
One other mention concerning why the wear at 12 o'clock. It's quite possible that if the cleaning started at the chamber end, and the gun had a tang sight, that the person cleaning it might be raising the cleaning rod up towards 12 o'clock to clear the folded tang sight?
So it may simply be this misalignment that caused slight wear in that area of the bore.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 1st, 2020 at 10:39am
Print Post  
My wife is a nationally ranked American Rimfire Association competitor (top 5 for the past four years.)

I'm the mechanic.  Proper cleaning is very important in this sport and we are all armed with precision bore guides and expensive cleaning rods to help minimize mechanical damage to the bore.  Hawkeye Borescopes are ubiquitous.

Our barrels experience non-mechanical erosion starting at 6:00 about an inch or so in front of the chamber.  Common wisdom is that this erosion is caused by the abrasives included in rimfire priming compounds.

JackHUghs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

S99VG
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - May 1st, 2020 at 11:57am
Print Post  
RSW wrote on Jul 6th, 2011 at 6:22pm:
22-5-40
It’s simple geometry. When cleaning the bore, you have a natural tendency to push/pull the cleaning rod in an arch because your arm is hung from your shoulder. Hence, the wear spot at 12:00.

Now that is something I never thought about

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint