Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ruger #3 question (Read 2537 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Ruger #3 question
May 2nd, 2020 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I have a beautiful #3 that was fully customized by Gre-Tan Gunsmithing somewhere down the line into a 7mm Ackley Krag.  It has a #1 trigger I believe as it has the adjustment screws but t is so crisp that I never attempted to do anything to that adjustment in the 10 years or so that I have owned the rifle.  It has a modified lever and a beautiful stock.  It also has the forearm tension screw and is a real tack driver as it has a tight neck and I had to neck turn all of the brass.  It was my hog rifle for a few years but then fell out of use when I had my Borchardt 30/40 Ackley built.  Now I am thinking that this should be my buck mule deer rifle this fall and was wondering if the #3 Model has the spring that allows you to adjust to throw the fired cases clear of the chamber for hunting?  I hate to pull the forearm off to look if there is no spring as the rifle is fine tuned right now and shoots less than moa with the right load.  If I get drawn for doe tags as well I will use the 38/56 Roller and 40/70 SS Hepburn to hunt them.  Thanks.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Re: Ruger #3 question
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2020 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Tom- It does have that adjustment, just like the #1.

Willis

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2020 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Thanks.  I will pull the forearm off and kick it up a notch!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2020 at 9:33am
Print Post  
And post a pic or three. Reads like it must be a nice rifle.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2020 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I forgot that the forearm is independent of the pressure adjustment  screw and can be removed without altering that setting.  A simple few turns to increase the tension and it now sends fired cases rearward at just under Mach 1.  Here are a few pictures of the rifle.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint