Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .22 Rimfire priming? (Read 12271 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

.22 Rimfire priming?
Apr 1st, 2011 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone.  I have been spending time on the Rimfire Accuracy Forum..There are some interesting posts on ELEY priming.  It seems after their plant explosion, the changed their priming formula to one where water is added AFTER mix is in case..this froms crystals & turns  to a greenish color.  The guys over on the site have been observing quite large chunks of gritty particles in fouling (silica..glass?)
with the usual 6:00 sand-blasting in bore.  Now someone has captured this fouling from an fired un-bulleted case & mixed it with water..turned green, & he thought it was type of acid..I don't think anyone has tried corrosion tests with the stuff.  I read some where that this rimfire priming is slightly corrosive.  I wonder if it is just ELEY, or if others..Lapua, Wolfe, etc. have same problem? 
   Has anyone had any experiance with this?   I would hate to think we are coming full circle in the rimfire bore corrosion problem!

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Re: .22 Rimfire priming?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Pull a couple bullets and dump the powder. Put a piece of clean smooth steel in front of the muzzle and fire the empties. Place the piece of steel outdoors for a day or so. If the priming compound is corrosive it will show up on the steel pretty quick.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
It's primarily ELEY. It is likely not corrosive, that's not what is pitting the bores. First, the primary damage is to SS match barrels which are decidedly softer. The by product of ignition is a hard crystaline substrate included in the residual fouling and this tends to get ironed into the bores with successive firing. When you observe the bore with a borescope it seems to be a mechanical process not chemical that results in the degradation.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Hello, and thanks for replys.  tim s, You said it was primarily ELEY.  Do you know if Lapua has same problems?  I know these rimfires all have more or less gritty (glass, Silica) fouling.  If you had say a nice vintage brl. by Pope or Peterson...would it be wise to shoot another brand?  Thanks!

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
The Eley " add a drop of water" priming sytem has been in use for many years and is licenced to most other manufacturers of .22 ammunition. It is most definitely not corrosive.
Fred

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
This type of fouling seems to be prevelant to ELEY. Your classics have barrels quite a bit harder tham stainless and we're really talking about quite a few thousands of rounds so I really think moderate use is going to prove a non event. If fearfull go with Lapua.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The Eley " add a drop of water" priming sytem has been in use for many years and is licensed to most other manufacturers of .22 ammunition
Thanks Fred.  Always something new to learn on the ASSRA forum!

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 9:15am
Print Post  

While the methodology of several other companies might be similar the compounds used are not. The priming for Lapua,SK, RWS, for instance is different and the bore effects, fouling, and rather importantly lube, as well

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 9:34am
Print Post  
IMO, it doesn't matter if Eley ammo is corrosive or not, if its the best shooting ammo, a serious match shooter will use that ammo and clean more often or rebarrel.  I doubt Eley is selling corrosive ammo, they have been around a long time.  My problem with Eley and other match ammo is there price.  ledball

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 11:05am
Print Post  
ledball wrote on Apr 6th, 2011 at 9:34am:
IMO, it doesn't matter if Eley ammo is corrosive or not, if its the best shooting ammo, a serious match shooter will use that ammo and clean more often or rebarrel.  I doubt Eley is selling corrosive ammo, they have been around a long time.  My problem with Eley and other match ammo is there price.  ledball

The damage issue is real, well known, and of concern to bbl makers and BR shooters alike, and has been around for some time irrespective of what label for it you wish to apply.

The price issue is another issue. No question the ammo development in recent years has been substantial however prices are entering the "otherwordly" arena. Sticker on high end Lapua is $25/box so no end in sight. RWS seems to be making inroads and trust me, I feel your pain.... I use 2-3 cases a year.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Tim, I have been shooting smallbore for 20 plus years and this has been an issue with 10x since as far back as that. It take tons of shooting to start to see the little quarter moon in front of the chamber. I am not sure that a scrub a little more often in that area would not take care of this since that is where carbon seems to collect (if you watch rimfire central it gets talked about) and driving across this shot after shot maybe some of the cause. Just my thoughts.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Apr 6th, 2011 at 5:25pm:
Tim, I have been shooting smallbore for 20 plus years and this has been an issue with 10x since as far back as that. It take tons of shooting to start to see the little quarter moon in front of the chamber. I am not sure that a scrub a little more often in that area would not take care of this since that is where carbon seems to collect (if you watch rimfire central it gets talked about) and driving across this shot after shot maybe some of the cause. Just my thoughts.

That's great except that's not what the issue is, this is pitting at the 6 o'clock position well down the lenght of the barrel.

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
My Lapua Exact shoots really well but is about the dirtiest ammo that I have ever shot.  the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
My Lapua Exact shoots really well but is about the dirtiest ammo that I have ever shot.  the rimfire - cdpersons

True dat, that's why for all the crap we put up with with ELEY, what it does do really well is use that great leading edge on the drive band to push so much fouling out and leave a consistant layer of clean lube in the bore for impressive shot to shot repeatability. No black bullet holes on trarget.

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 10:46am
Print Post  
testing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint