Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stock making chisels (Read 26820 times)
harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Stock making chisels
Reply #45 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Dec 31st, 2010 at 10:00am:
With Whitey's permission, here is the picture. I have never seen one like it. Link is in a different place, not sure how the extractor or hammer cocking works. Looks English and should make a fine rifle.
Chuck

Chuckster,

I'm not surprised you haven't seen anything quite like it, as it was only in limited production by Westley Richards for some three years, and was then replaced by redesigned action, the Deeley & Edge 1881 Patent, Side Lever Falling Block Action. 

There were quite a few problems with this 1878 Patent action that were only resolved by a major re-design. See Winfer, Wal. :-  British Single Shot Rifles. Volume 4. Published in 2000. Sadly, now a rather rare and expensive book, if you can find a copy anywhere.

Harry

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Tom Lowe the publisher has a very few copies left. At 150.00 each. Whitey

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Don't have that book, but there is a drawing and very brief description of a somewhat similar looking action on page 715 of Greener, "The Gun and Its Development". It confirms the Deeley and Edge connection. BTW, Happy New Year to all  
Chuck

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Fellows just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and information.And with the  help of fellow members and friends. My problem is solved. Smiley Thanks again. whitey

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I'm also in need of a good Inletting chisel/wood carving set.  I've checked around and found out that the Buck Brothers set listed on Brownells is actually a cheap Chinese made set and does not hold an edge.  I did find a couple of good sets on Brownells, which are made by U.J. RAMELSON and highly recommended by wood carvers.

So now I've got a choice of a straight handle set or a palm handle set and would appreciate suggestions from some experienced stock inletters as to which would be the most comfortable or useful.  Thanks.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Hi Tex, if it were me and I had the funds I would get a set of both, they are worth it in the end. Also what you can do is use cheaper wood handled tools and oil harden the first couple of inches and then slowly resharpen never getting the tool edge hot, then they will hold an edge.
Mike

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Wayne, take a look at the tools shown by Brownells as their stockmaker's starter set #080-761-000, and look for equivalent quality items wherever you find them.  The B company is very often higher priced than the manufacturer's suggested retail...though not always.   

Buck must have switched their source to China within the past few years.  I don't remember them as being made anywhere but here, and they were decent tools once upon a time.   Sad

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Thanks guys.  Excellent suggestions.  I have a real cheap Chinese set I've used for some minor wood working and it never dawned on me to try hardening the ends.  And I overlooked the stockmaker's set on Brownells, which looks to be ideal for my intended use, fitting semi-inletted stocks, though it's a little pricey.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2011 at 11:39am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 10:47am
Print Post  
The Brownells set was made up as a one stock number kit for folks attending gunsmithing schools...much simpler to order one item than two dozen.  It was a lot cheaper when first introduced.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

LynnF
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Frank Mittermeier Inc
3577 E Tremont Avenue
Bronx, NY 10465-2008 map 
Phone:(718) 828-3843

This is the place to get the very best German steel carving tools and chisels. They sell the long professional tools. You can order them sharpened or do it yourself. Sharpening carving tools correctly takes a little experience.
Lynn

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Lynn,

Thanks.  Their Dastra Woodscrew brand sounds like the "cream of the crop" of woodcarving tools.

Wayne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint