Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stock making chisels (Read 26821 times)
Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stock making chisels
Reply #15 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
The best flat chisels I own are made from various sizes of  three square files, handles from whatever, copper tubing ferules. Not for hammering. Fine belt sander to grind, turn a burr, stitched buffing wheel with green chrome or similar will hone in a hurry, in particular gouges. Hone down stream unless you want it stuck in your leg. A leather strop with rogue will keep you cutting. Gee! Sounds like I know it all. NOT!!
Chuck  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:43pm:
The best flat chisels I own are made from various sizes of  three square files, handles from whatever, copper tubing ferules. Not for hammering. Fine belt sander to grind, turn a burr, stitched buffing wheel with green chrome or similar will hone in a hurry, in particular gouges. Hone down stream unless you want it stuck in your leg. A leather strop with rogue will keep you cutting. Gee! Sounds like I know it all. NOT!!
Chuck  

Grin Grin

Another good way to do stocks is to have Gail Shuttleworth do um. She can copy your pet stock too.

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Joe now the truth comes out. Shocked No wondeer Gail is so busy. You got her working so hard.But even then the problem comes whe you don't even have a pet to copy. Cry. and It's one of those wierd ones. Whitey

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
DIGITALL423 is correct, for new made chisels the Swiss Made Pfeil sold by Woodcraft has no equal. I spent 40 years making a living using hand tools restoring historic buildings and also wrote the Axe Manual for the U.S. Forest Service. I have used, sharpened, and collected just about everything that has an edge. Be carefull buying older chisels, including Buck Brothers, Greenlee, and Stanley. The quality depends on when they were made not the name brand.

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I understand a little about metal. Just enough to get in trouble. Smiley I will look for some that I think are good or have a chance of being good.Then If I enjoy the project. Then I can always get the best. Smiley As at 74 and knowing how things go. I would hate to think the best would be on a yard sale at fifty cents a piece. And that does happen. Smiley Whitey

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Ya never know what you'll find or when...I stopped at an "antique mall" this afternoon, killing some time before an appointment, and found a pretty good English cabinet maker's turnscrew for $2.50.  No decent chisels, though.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Dave out where I live if I see a yard sale once or twice a year it's a bunch. Smiley True story a few farm autions with lots of crow bars,fence strechers and sledge hammers but wood chisels.  Smiley And no son's for the gun stuff.and the machinest stuff. Like youIhave gave away at least a pick up load of machine tools etc in the last couple years.Either to the school or friends that I knew could use them. My gun stuff.????
But I am having fun and that's what counts. Smiley Whitey

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #22 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Quote:
Dave out where I live if I see a yard sale once or twice a year it's a bunch. Smiley True story a few farm autions with lots of crow bars,fence strechers and sledge hammers but wood chisels.  Smiley And no son's for the gun stuff.and the machinest stuff. Like youIhave gave away at least a pick up load of machine tools etc in the last couple years.Either to the school or friends that I knew could use them. My gun stuff.????
But I am having fun and that's what counts. Smiley Whitey

You could always, leave them to your favorite amphibian nephew, Uncle Whitey!  Cheesy

Froggie

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Froggie any thing is possible. Grin Whitey
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2010 at 2:19pm by »  

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I grind hacksaw blades to the shape i want then epoxy them into a dowel for a handle. get the angles right and they cut well for a long time. Price is rite.
Tom

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Machinist HSS bit blanks too. Particularly for special one off jobs. 

Boats

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
How come no one's mentioned X-ACTO tools, when they get dull, you just replace the blade,& they come in all shapes.    ...MIKE...

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Boats HHS tool bit is something I got a lotttttttttt of.  Smiley Whitey

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #28 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
What kind of stock are you making Whitey? 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Joe I came up with a 1878 Westely Richards SS falling block Action with nothing else including Wood. And as such I have no pattern and I don't know of any semi finished stocks done. Sooo that leaves me. Smiley Whitey

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint