Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schützen - Zimmerstutzen (Read 110113 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Schützen - Zimmerstutzen
Reply #75 - May 11th, 2010 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Waterman,
Did you notice the paper blown from the muzzle as the third shooter fires in the video? I wonder if its paper from a bag of powder or a paper patched bullet? I've never seen a paper patch come off in that way. 

Tissue paper possibly? Used as filler?  Huh

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Joe.  Wink

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - May 11th, 2010 at 9:54am
Print Post  
H&N swages their bullets - I also use them for some applications (.22 Hornet, 30-20, 38-40).  Even the GG bullets are swaged.  But it is a quality product indeed - it shoots at least as well as hand-cast stuff.
Their Hi-Speed bullets especially are pretty good - if a bit pricey...

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #77 - May 11th, 2010 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Biggi
First, thanks so much for increasing my knowlege of these fine German Rifles. I would like to ask if there is a source for some of the Diopters shown on your site. I purchased one not long ago, on E-bay but would like to fit another on one of my Zimmerstutzens.

Thanks Tom

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - May 11th, 2010 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Joe, I think you are correct.  That looks like tissue paper filler, probably used to keep the small powder charge near the primer.  If you do that with black powder, the tissue paper comes out on fire.  Don't ask how I know that.

Gert, are the H&N bullets exported to the US?

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #79 - May 11th, 2010 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Yes, we use toilet paper for damp (holding the powder near the primer). Normally it is enough, if you roll a small ball out of a quarter of one leaf of a 3-ply version of toilet paper. 

I cannot identify the shooter`s face, so I cannot ask him, how he damps. An other possibility is to damp with dentist`s cotton batting in diameter of 8 millimeters (like the shell). From a cotton rod (length 50mm) you take a slim slice about 3-4mm and damp the powder with it to the primer. 

Biggi

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - May 11th, 2010 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
There is sometimes a discussion about "chamber ringing" on this forum.  I will let someone who knows more about it explain that.  But I think the use of a slice of cotton from the rod to hold the powder in place has the potential to damage the rifle.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #81 - May 11th, 2010 at 2:37pm
Print Post  

According to information I received in the last years from schuetzen-friends who damp with dentist's cotton, the cotton is not saturated with chemicals, which are able to damage inside the barrel. Because the heat of the burning powder would release the chemicals in the cotton. The old steel is eventually prone to chemical releases.

Some schuetzen-friends damp since decades with dentist's cotton and have no problems at all. But damping with semolina is a science for master practitioner. With semolina you can really damage your barrel...

Biggi

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #82 - May 11th, 2010 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Hi Tom,

nice that you could increase knowledge to our favourite hobby "Old German Schuetzen Rifles" on my website feuerbixler. Sorry that we have no English-Edition until now...
Huh

You need a diopter? I still have one for Zimmerstutzen. 
Smiley

Biggi

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #83 - May 11th, 2010 at 4:02pm
Print Post  

Hello waterman!

I have made the same experiences like you, the 30-30 work very good in my AydtI, but in my Martini there is nearly now chance. So I use the RWS 8.15-shells with my "bitchy" Martini and for my "good-natured" AydtI I can use each shell-type I can get...

Yesterday I got a delivery from the H&N new production of 8.15er bullets. Here at home I've only the .318 / 148grain. The 500-pieces package has the weight of 5 kilogrammes. The postal-costs to US are 35 Euro. And the package of the 500 bullets are 50 Euro. Total amount to send them to US = 85 Euro = 108 US$.

Biggi

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #84 - May 11th, 2010 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Hei Biggi, it's hard to tell from the pictures of the diopter sight, but while I can see the diopter blocker for iron sight matches, I can't tell if it is one of the "focusing diopters". I've got one on my AYDT Zimmerstutzen and it is great for old eyes. You've shared some neat stuff. Do you have any way of checking a maker if I give the name and city? Thanks friend.

Trapdoor Dick NieKamp
Just an olde Dutchman Wink

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #85 - May 11th, 2010 at 5:48pm
Print Post  

Hi Trapdoor Dick.

This is just a "simple diopter", I think good use for Zimmerstutzen. It is original from approx. 1890 or 1900. I've bought it recently from the great-grandson of the former owner. Since 1945 the diopter was stored in the attic. The associated Stutzen was destroyed in 1945 in Germany by... guess who?!?! ... the Allied forces...
Shocked

What shall I check for you? I can try it, perhaps I'm successful...

Biggi

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - May 11th, 2010 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Biggi, I had a cousin who was in the US Army Military Police during WWII.  One of his duties as the Army came into Germany was to collect firearms from the civilian population, place them on the curb of the road and have a 2 1/2 ton truck or half-track run over them to destroy them.  Made him cry to do it, there were some absolutely beautiful rifles & shotguns, but it was his job.  Thirty years later, when he told me about it, he was still upset that it was done.   Sad

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #87 - May 11th, 2010 at 8:35pm
Print Post  

David, our grandfathers and fathers tell also with tears in their eyes, that they have seen the destroying of European cultural treasures: artful engraved and carved feuerstutzen and hunting-shotguns, with gold inlays on barrel and system-plate, ivory stock decoration.

But there where also the soldiers, who took them over to USA. Also our shooting society banners, our Schuetzen-Koenig-chains and other devotional objects like the goblets or medals. (If you have good luck, you can buy them back at ebay or other US-auction houses...)

So a big part of the old German schuetzen-history is lost by destroying or plundering the club houses. Also while bombing down the cities in WWII, the Germans have lost their schuetzen-society-documents like the journals. 

I'm always glad, if I find something historical of Munich's lost schuetzen-history at US-ebay to bring it back home to Bavaria.
Smiley

Biggi

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #88 - May 13th, 2010 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Biggi
Sorry to be so vague. I was refering to something like the Sperber optic. I bought a reproduction on E-bay, but could use another. I have seen German sites that have the rear sights as well as the front inserts, but have not been able to get them to respond to e-mails.

Thanks Tom

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - May 13th, 2010 at 11:43am
Print Post  
As far as I know, H&N doesn't export to the US.  The stuff isn't exactly cheap, so I presume they think they wouldn't be competitive on the US market.  The airgun pellets can be found, I believe, but the 'normal' bullets not.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Send TopicPrint