Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Daniel Fraser & Co. c.1870-80 (Read 51868 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Daniel Fraser & Co. c.1870-80
Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:05pm
Print Post  

One of the most skilled single shot gun designers in Great Britain was Daniel Frazer.  The Frazer patented falling block internal hammer single shot action was considered equal to or superior to the other British single shot actions of that period.

I am interested in communicating with anyone who is either collecting and/or shooting the Frazer falling block rifle/s for research purposes.

My interests are mostly historical in nature, however, future acquisitions of Fraser examples is conceivable.

Thank you, 

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Daniel Fraser & Co. c.1870-80
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
The only thing I have is just a great hankering of owning one of those falling block rifles/actions - but I'm afraid it will never come to that...  That action is indeed a marvel both in design and execution.

IP Logged

Mike Gordon
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 10:45am
Print Post  
I saw an early Fraser at a gun show in New York State last year and had a chance to examine it closely.  It looked like one of the plain guns shown in Kirton's book that had been sold in Canada. A bit rough  and the price of several thousand dollars was a bit high for me.  It closely resembled a Fraser that had been for sale on Joe Salter's website a few years ago.  

IP Logged

bouldersmith

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I have a medium action I will be building up into a light sporter in 6.5x54R the dutch mannlicher round. They are really beautiful actions and a great design in my mind. I too would like to know more about them. It sure would be nice if Mr. Winfer would pen a volume on them. 
            Steve

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Mike,
You probably saw the Italian copy marketed as Fraser - by no means an original, in design or execution.  That one was pretty ugly indeed..

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 10:41am
Print Post  

Hi Martini Belgian ;

I have never seen, nor heard of, an Italian " knock off " of the sacred Fraser action.  .   .   . it is almost, if not, a contradiction of terms.

Steve ;   

I am glad to hear of your interest in the Fraser action.  I would be happy to share the results of my project as they develop.  I have family members in the U.K. who will be assisting me in the ensuing months, so I'm looking forward to receiving their data.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Mike Gordon
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 10:57am
Print Post  
The small bore (.22 LR & .22 Hornet only) Italian made under lever single shot marked "Daniel Fraser"  was written up by Frank deHass in Rifle magazine sometime in the early 1990s. deHass found it to be interesting, but mostly junk.

The Fraser I saw last year was an honest to goodness Fraser, not very different from the rifle pictured on page 221 of Jonathan Kirton's book.  Considering how rare real Frasers are, the sellers price of several thousand dollars (I don't remember the exact price.) was proabably quite reasonable.

With all this talk about Frasers lets not forget that the Ruger No 1 (and No 3) are basically the Fraser action turned into an underlever.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Mike Gordon wrote on Apr 7th, 2010 at 10:57am:

With all this talk about Frasers lets not forget that the Ruger No 1 (and No 3) are basically the Fraser action turned into an underlever.

Mike,  How could I ever forget that Mr. William Roger was inspired by the British supreme falling block action that inspired him to move to the No. 1 design for his own when the American shooter hadn't a clue or a desire for anything other than a bolt action repeater.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Gentlemens:

Do you think there would be a market for a faithful reproduction of the original large Fraser action?

Glenn

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:36am
Print Post  
hst wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 1:05am:
Gentlemens:

Do you think there would be a market for a faithful reproduction of the original large Fraser action?

Glenn

Hello Glenn,

I think there would be a market but not a large one, a few hundred perhaps at best. The problem is, or would be cost. It is a complicated action and although EDM and CNC machines would be of great assistance, there are a lot of oddly shaped parts to be made. 

I've only ever seen one of these actions stripped down and it was built like a Swiss Watch, and as good as any of the 'London Quality' gunmakers products.

If built exactly like the original, I doubt if you would get any change out of US$ 2,000.00 for the action and stockbolt. I include the latter part because it's not a straight foreward item but a complex part, which has to be 'timed' in order for the safety catch and rear tang screw (which pass through the stockbolt), to be fitted correctly.

The Fraser is possibly the most complex single shot action ever produced. Nothing is simple about the shape of the great majority of parts, and thus it does not lend itself to ease of production. But, to simplify the design would defeat the object, it wouldn't be a Fraser Action at all, but a cheaper 'look alike'.

Harry

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:43am by »  

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Harry,

I would disagree - there's some things on the original action that could be omitted without anyone ever noticing (like - I believe - the half-cock option) without ever compromising the design itself.

I do believe someone in the US once made some (modified) Fraser replica's a few years ago.  Some minor changes were made, but I do believe it wasn't exactly cheap though...

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 7:54am
Print Post  
hst wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 1:05am:
G

Glenn

I am keenly aware that the present day market would have little or no appreciation for any thing even close to an exact copy of the D. Fraser & Co. falling block action.   Those of us who are the exception to the masses have the ability to locate and pay the tariff for an original and a great appreciation for a 19th Century work of great genius.

The Italian made copies of Sharps rifles and many others are for the masses and fit the bill for those folks to a tee.  It's really hard to imagine an Italian made copy of the Fraser ever coming to fruition.  Who would purchase them ?

When was the last time you saw a Swiss made pocket watch in a retail establishment ?   

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Quote:
[quote author=495255210 link=1270411530/8#8 date=1270703136]
The Fraser is possibly the most complex single shot action ever produced. Nothing is simple about the shape of the great majority of parts, and thus it does not lend itself to ease of production. But, to simplify the design would defeat the object, it wouldn't be a Fraser Action at all, but a cheaper 'look alike'.

Well put Harry !   I agree wholeheartedly,  and will remember to buy you a pint of the best Larger when I see you next.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Creedmoormatch wrote above :

"I am interested in communicating with anyone who is either collecting and/or shooting the Frazer falling block rifle/s for research purposes.

My interests are mostly historical in nature, however, future acquisitions of Fraser examples is conceivable.

Thank you, 

Creedmoormatch " [/quote]

Why do people always want to make cheap "knock off" copies of quality merchandise ?  I'm a historian expressing an interest in communicating with knowledgeable collectors of fine antique firearms, and it turns into a "let make a copy of it and sell it ".

Same thing with my Rolex watch, everybody wants one even if theirs is a chrome plated over pot metal case and made in China.  Is there no authenticity any more ?  Where have all the connoisseurs gone to ?

Creedmoormatch
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:47am by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:55am
Print Post  
The Fraser would be a good thing - but for a Brit action having all the good features, very simple, few parts, and visually attractive too, take a look at the Field falling block - the bottom drawing:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Very fast, light, center-hung hammer, very solid, pretty simple to make and most certainly not ugly....  Not the precision and complexity of a Fraser, but it would probably have a bigger market.  Maybe the only change to make is to use 2 springs instead of the mainspring also being used as trigger return spring.  Maybe also add a stockbolt fixture to improve it.  
Also, that would probably be an action I could afford  Embarrassed  And also a good base for a nice target rifle - Greener made target rifles on these actions.

IP Logged

bouldersmith

Reply #15 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:20am
Print Post  
I have an interest in the top tang safety on these guns. Any information would be greatly appreciated in that regard.  I will try to post a picture of my action shortly.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:31am
Print Post  
bouldersmith wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:20am:
I have an interest in the top tang safety on these guns. Any information would be greatly appreciated in that regard.  I will try to post a picture of my action shortly.

There is a side elevation drawing (without dimensions) in F.de Haas's book Single Shot Rifles and Actions on page 257 (in my copy).

Harry

IP Logged

bouldersmith

Reply #17 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:32am
Print Post  

I bought a complete straight stocked rifle that had been rebarreled, and not very well. The action was covered with fine scroll at one point, but had been polished off before I acquired it. I will use the original fore end as a pattern and covert the gun to a pistol grip, top tang safety gun, hence my interest in the safety arrangement. The caliber will be 6.5x54r, the dutch mannlicher round.

IP Logged

bouldersmith

Reply #18 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Thanks Harry, I even have that book!

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:42am:

Why do people always want to make cheap "knock off" copies of quality merchandise ?  I'm a historian expressing an interest in communicating with knowledgeable collectors of fine antique firearms, and it turns into a "let make a copy of it and sell it ".

Same thing with my Rolex watch, everybody wants one even if theirs is a chrome plated over pot metal case and made in China.  Is there no authenticity any more ?  Where have all the connoisseurs gone to ?

Creedmoormatch

Dear Mr. "Historian":

Do please forgive me for disturbing your little voyage of self importance.

And if you wish to equate my work with cheap knock off chrome plated Chinese pot metal, well...

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
bouldersmith wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:20am:
I have an interest in the top tang safety on these guns. Any information would be greatly appreciated in that regard.  I will try to post a picture of my action shortly.

Steve:

I too am looking for information on a top tang safety.  I am working with the full size action, but I expect that as the firing mechanism is of the same design in both that the safety will be as well.

Let me know if you come across something.  The images in the DeHass book are better than nothing, but good photos would be a real aid.

Best,

Glenn

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Bouldersmith & Glenn,

Gentlemen,

There is a whole chapter devoted to Daniel Fraser and his rifles in Jonathan Kirtons book, The British Falling Block Breechloading Rifle from 1865. Pages 217-245.

Unfortunately the only cross sectional drawings are that of Bouldersmiths rifle with the none-automatic trigger guard safety catch. 

There are a lot of interesting photographs of this action with both types of safety catch, rifle sights and stocking and carrying case styles.

It does appear however, that the action with the trigger guard safety, doesn't have an upper tang, whereas the version of the action that has the shotgun style safety, does have an upper tang

It you haven't already got this book it is a worthwhile investment.

Harry
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2010 at 3:33am by »  

IP Logged

bouldersmith

Reply #22 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Thanks again Harry. I have Kirkton and was familiar with his writing on these actions. The De Hass lead was really helpful.

Glenn,
        After reading what De Hass had to say about how the safety works and its Half cock safety feature, I think will go a slightly more standard route and forgo that little tid bit. As far as adding the Tang and safety, which in this case is a simple sear blocking safety, I am very familiar with this system from working on double shotguns. It is really very much like the tang safety on PD Farq actions.  Now all I need is some free time. Too many projects. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Harry:

Much obliged. I do have the Kirton book and it is a fine work. 

I had hoped for a faithful reproduction of the original design, but it looks like DeHass' work is as close as I am going to get for a pattern. 

Best regards,

Glenn

IP Logged

toolmkr

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
OK, now you have my interest. Does anyone know of any W.Field rifles being produced, do not believe I've ever heard or seen one. Please post here if any pictures or additional info is found. Thanks

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Field essentially made mostly actions but also complete rifles for the 'trade', and his Field falling block design was used by some of the big names of the Brit gun trade (like H&H, Gibbs, Lancaster, Greener, Bland, Purdey, Th. Turner, Rigby...).  While not having the 'sex appeal' of the Farq or Fraser, it is a very well-designed and engineered action, with very few components.  Essentially a sidelever falling block - very neat, compact and tidy.
This pic comes from the Greener book - a Greener match rifle built on this action:
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2010 at 1:12pm by MartiniBelgian »  
IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Fields patten in 22LR. whitey

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
If anyone wants more pictures just email me at  whanson@plainstel.com  Itried to load but ?????  Smiley Whitey

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
The other side. Whitey

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 3:22am
Print Post  
Whitey,

Yours is not the Falling block one though - you have the Field-Martini action on that rifle.

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #30 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Toolmkr,
Here is a Military match rifle with the Field falling block action (made by Greener) in 500/450 No.2 that I am currently working with. As MartiniBelgian says it is a simple yet strong action and is very well made. Barrel has henry rifling and it shoots very nicely with PP.
Spud

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Apr 10th, 2010 at 3:22am:
Whitey,

Yours is not the Falling block one though - you have the Field-Martini action on that rifle.

Gert I know but just had to throw it in. Smiley

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #32 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Spud, more photos please, internals if possible, I like the way it looks Cool.
MIKE-T

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Mike-T,
Can't do at the moment as the rifle is away having some work done. Will send some at a later date. In the meantime have a look at the patent docs & diagrams on MartiniBelgian's site. Also some good photos & info in Kirton's chapter on the Field action (pgs 196-207) and Winfer's Vol.2 (Gibbs, pgs 152-153).
Spud

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Apr 11th, 2010 at 9:26am
Print Post  
You could call it the Brit Hiwall - except it is quite a bit simpler.  I would only make 2 modifications to it:
1. Separate (and weaker) trigger return spring
2. Modify for stock bolt
IMO, it wouldn't give up anything to any other action out there - lock time would be quite a bit faster than a Farq while being at least as solid - not so fast as a Martini maybe, but then again, not everyone is born equal...  Wink  Moreover, it is extremely simple construction-wise.  quite a few years ago there was a gent in SA (Karl Schlager) making replica's of these, but unfortunately he doesn't do so anymore - and I missed the chance of getting his last one.  Then again, I was young and poor then (now I 'm old and poor  Grin  )  And yes, the patent information is on my website.
Of course, Spud's rifle is extremely desireable as it is chambered in my all-time favorite round - the #2 Musket.  I now have 4 rifles chambered for this round, and every one of them has proven to be a tackdriver.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2010 at 3:29pm by MartiniBelgian »  
IP Logged

toolmkr

Reply #35 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 11:15am
Print Post  
MartiniB & Spud, Thanks for the pictures. Looking forward to seeing additional info posted. This action seems to be the best to copy with modifications. I believe all exact or very close copies should be so marked in a way so removal would be very noticeable, preventing fraud.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Send me a PM with your email, and I'll send some scans to you...

IP Logged

merle
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
His double rifles are plenty pricey.

Merle

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #38 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Spud thank you for all the info & photos you have already provided me, have been looking for my next winters project, had about settled on the De Haas round bolt single shot, modified to a striker action as the Gerfen SS rifle shown in the 2010 GD page 76. After seeing your Military Field falling block and the prints thanks to MartiniBelgian, I have reconsidered and when not casting bullets for this summer’s matches will start collecting up the scraps of hard wood and lexan/delrin etc to start putting together a working model right after Deer season, may try to incorporate a striker similar to the striker in the Gerfen.
Spud I do not have the books you mentioned for more Field info, reduced  everything I owned before my move from PA to northern MI a couple years ago to make weight, decided to keep my shop equipment, books were the next heaviest thing, so they had to be drastically reduced, had at least one of Winfer's excellent books, sadly  Cry it did not make the cut and was sold. 
As toolmkr said keep the info/photos coming, 
MIKE-T  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #39 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Mike-T & Toolmkr,
Happy to help out. Send me a PM with your email and when I get the Field back I'll photograph the major internals of the action and pass them on. Pity about those books MT...you can never have too many reference books! I'd be lost without my library.
Spud

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - May 9th, 2010 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Creedmoormatch,
I am new to this forum and as the Fraser is of much interest to me I thought I would ask if you are still seeking information. Please let me know?
There was quite a bit discussion about the complications of the Fraser and found my own thoughts to be quite to the oppisite. I believe one of the attributes of the Fraser id that it is not complicated. However this is opinion and to all there own.

LRF

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #41 - May 11th, 2010 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I'd say the No.1 is closer to the earlier Aston than to the Fraser but is most certainly neither one--that's why it has its own patent.

Karl
IP Logged

ResearchPress

Reply #42 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Resurrecting an old thread, but if there's still any interest in D. & J. Fraser I have a page on them on my web site. See: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

David

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:19am
Print Post  
David.  As a long range shooter, I've always found the information and history on your website to be enjoyable reads.  You have much time and energy invested and many thanks for the effort.  Bob

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #44 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:29am
Print Post  
For any of you that are interested in the Field's patent. Tom Oppel has a great article on one he built from a kit in the new Journal. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 5:02pm
Print Post  

dbm  .   .   .   .Hello David ;

Thank you for bringing this information to the attention of ASSRA readers.

I've just returned from the Baltimore Gun Show last weekend where I had some very good conversation with two gentlemen from Great Britain, which included the works of Daniel Frazer.   

I shall remain a great fan of his work in the arms business and shall continue to expand my knowledge at every opportunity to do so.  Thanks for this opportunity.

Creedmoormatch

Choose Civility

IP Logged

Huvius

Reply #46 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:42am:

Where have all the connoisseurs gone to ?

Creedmoormatch

Many of us are just a little slow to join the forum... Cool

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 8:16pm
Print Post  

HUVIUS , .   .   .   .

You are by all means, WELCOME to the A.S.S.R.A. Forum, and I hope you enjoy your participation and make many new friends here.

Thank you for sharing a most exquisite and interesting rifle, from what you have shown of it.  I would prevail upon you to furnish as much more information concerning the piece, to include additional photos, as your time and interest will permit.

Thank you, and we look forward to having you with us.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Huvius

Reply #48 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Creedmoormatch,
Thanks for the welcome!
I frequent a couple other forums - with the same user name (Huvius) so my posts over on those are pretty easy to search out.  That way, regardless of which forum I am posting on, everybody knows it's me (for better or worse... Grin)
My Fraser is a very interesting piece.
From what I have pieced together, which is obviously conjecture for the most part - but some very expert conjecture at that (mostly others' not always mine...), is that it was originally an early model with the safety within the trigger guard.  It was later converted by Fraser to the newer top tang safety configuration and I suspect rebarreled to Fraser's 400/360 at the same time, which, by the way is the same as the 400/360 Purdey but with a different bullet design.
Anyway, the conversion work is definitely Fraser.
My rifle is a rather standard grade gun by Fraser standards - many were highly engraved - but mine has a simple border with most surfaces left open.
That being said, I feel the art of the Fraser rifle is in the design and the quality of the execution.  I doubt there is a genuine Fraser that isn't a best rifle in every respect.  The high level of adornment of some of them is just icing on the cake!
I know one forum member here has had my gun apart - hope he took plenty of pictures and measurements!
Here are a couple more pictures.  The beauty is often in the details...
A couple things of note that I want to point out.
See how the checkering runs right up to the metal of the top tang?  On an original top tang safety model, the checkering would have a border which runs parallel with the metal.  Also the border is different on the tang.

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2011 at 10:41pm by Huvius »  

IP Logged

Huvius

Reply #49 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
I wanted to add my opinion regarding the interest in making a replica of the Fraser action.
Seems to me, that if the top tang were desired, and the action was not a genuine copy of the Fraser, then wouldn't it be easier to make the top tang integral with the action as most of the other period Brit single shots were?
Then the safety could be copied from a Farquharson or Webley or Holland.  And, as an added benefit, the bolt running through the stock could be discarded and the action could be joined to the stock through the top and bottom tangs.  This way, big bores, which seem to be in vogue right now, could sport a decent recoil pad which wouldn't need to be removed to separate the action from the wood.

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #50 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I am a bit hesitant to revive this very old thread, but good information doesn't go stale with age.

The Fraser single shot rifle is one of the best ever produced, and I'm a fan.  These rifles are much to expensive for me to acquire a "collection" of them, but I did buy a really nice one in .303 some years ago in a Julia auction.

I'll share some images.  The first are re-sized from the auction photos and are credited to Julia.

Once I got the rifle in hand, I did disassemble it to properly clean and lubricate it before using it.  Here are some of the photographs I took of the internals:

Continuing with next post.

Curl

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #51 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I ran out of 2500 characters, so had to continue with this post.

My rifle is equipped with a "Cole's Patent Foresight Protector."  You might have an interest in seeing some details of this feature:

Perhaps revival of this old thread will spur some interesting new discussion of the Fraser single shot rifles.  Contrary to what was said above, this action is exquisite in its simplicity.  They were made to this highest standards and are treasures to us today.

Curl

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #52 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 11:19am
Print Post  
That is one beautiful rifle! Treasure it!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #53 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 11:30am
Print Post  
One more photo I didn't post:

Curl

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Neat piece. Thank you for letting us have a look at it. How does is shoot for you?

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Curl,
Thank you for reviving this old post and for sharing pictures of yours!   
There are a few of us on this forum that have built or ARE building a copy of Daniel Fraser's rifles, they are a spectacular piece of work.  I get pulled in so many directions working on these guns I lose focus or interest (neither are really the word for it) but I see something like this and it brings me back around.  I have a few on the platter right now but I see another surfacing to the top again... Grin
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 11:03am
Print Post  
I'm surprised nobody has brought this one up.  Produced by Steve Earle and if anybody's seen or used Steve's products, they are top shelf. I have seen both the Fraser and Wesson actions by him on rifles and they are smooth and beautiful.

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #57 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Here are a couple of photos that should get the attention of any Fraser aficionado.  These I photographed at a recent friendly gathering of collectors of Scottish guns and rifles.

I don't know where anybody will ever again see anything like six Fraser single shot rifles nesting on the very same table, but there they are!

Curl

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint