Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Which one? (Read 3173 times)
MIEagle
Participating Member

Which one?
Jan 6th, 2020 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I've seen an original Winchester low wall .22 target rifle with tang sights and a Stevens Model 44 .22 target rifle with tang sights available and priced within a couple 100 bucks. Is there any advantage/disadvantage with either of these or is it personal preference? They would be for silhouette and scheutzen shooting. Thank you.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Which one?
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I have a few of each, it may be a matter of preference OR what you believe in.   For me, low walls run circles around the 44's and I like the feel- one LW is a coil spring the others are a flat spring.   I did spend a little more time and money on the LW's so that may give them the edge.  Here's another case, I loan the 44's to folks I attempt to hook on this sport and one individual that shot a lot of comp prior to this, ran circles around me with it - go figure.  Grin
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I had one of each at the same time and still have the Stevens as it out shot the low wall.

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Each can be made to work well, so buy the one you like the most, or better yet get both!

Currently finishing a low wall .22 to go with a couple of Stevens 44 1/2s in 22 RF.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 12:26am
Print Post  
"or better yet get both!"

THAT is sound advice!  Wink

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
I think the Stevens may have more drop at the comb so personal fit might be a consideration.

FWIW (probably no much Smiley)

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Over the last 100years it’s pretty well known the Stevens will be more accurate than the Winchester.  Ledball

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
For me as for leadball. it comes down to the barrels.  If both barrels were pristine inside (a BIG assumption at the prices quoted), I'd fall back on Stevens' well-earned reputation for having very accurate barrels far more often than not.

That being said, to second GT, for that kind of money, why not by both?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
I think when OP said "priced within a couple 100 bucks" he meant within $200 of each other, not $200 each.

If it was $200 each then the bottom has really fallen out of the market!

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I shoot a Steven's 44 and with the right .22LR ammo it is highly accurate out to 200 meters for .22BPCR silhouette.  With it I've shot several master scores.

FWIW, I've spoke with several Win. Low Wall & it's somewhat of a crap shot with some very accurate and others no so.  Based on those comments I'm of the general opinion that the barrels on some of the older Win. Low Wall were not up to snuff but I do not have direct experience.  Although the barrel was in like new condition, a shooting friend had a very nice older rifle relined.  He could not get it to shoot well with any ammo he tried.  Lee Shaver relined for him and it was a tack driver afterwards. The more recent ones are reported to be good shooters.  As to what constitutes an old or newer one I have no idea.

BTW, the Steven's design does have a potential problem.  If the shooter is not careful how the rifle is held when ejecting a case it can fall into the action & get stuck behind the breechblock.  After it happened a few times with me I've learned to cant the rifle to the left when ejecting.  I don't believe the Win. Low Wall has the same problem but I'm not sure.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:16pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 9:06am
Print Post  
If it is a .22 RF I would choose the 44 all other things being equal. for a centerfire I'd choose the low wall as it is a stronger action.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint