Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Daniel Fraser & Co. c.1870-80 (Read 51869 times)
bouldersmith

Re: Daniel Fraser & Co. c.1870-80
Reply #15 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:20am
Print Post  
I have an interest in the top tang safety on these guns. Any information would be greatly appreciated in that regard.  I will try to post a picture of my action shortly.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:31am
Print Post  
bouldersmith wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:20am:
I have an interest in the top tang safety on these guns. Any information would be greatly appreciated in that regard.  I will try to post a picture of my action shortly.

There is a side elevation drawing (without dimensions) in F.de Haas's book Single Shot Rifles and Actions on page 257 (in my copy).

Harry

IP Logged

bouldersmith

Reply #17 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:32am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I bought a complete straight stocked rifle that had been rebarreled, and not very well. The action was covered with fine scroll at one point, but had been polished off before I acquired it. I will use the original fore end as a pattern and covert the gun to a pistol grip, top tang safety gun, hence my interest in the safety arrangement. The caliber will be 6.5x54r, the dutch mannlicher round.

IP Logged

bouldersmith

Reply #18 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Thanks Harry, I even have that book!

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:42am:

Why do people always want to make cheap "knock off" copies of quality merchandise ?  I'm a historian expressing an interest in communicating with knowledgeable collectors of fine antique firearms, and it turns into a "let make a copy of it and sell it ".

Same thing with my Rolex watch, everybody wants one even if theirs is a chrome plated over pot metal case and made in China.  Is there no authenticity any more ?  Where have all the connoisseurs gone to ?

Creedmoormatch

Dear Mr. "Historian":

Do please forgive me for disturbing your little voyage of self importance.

And if you wish to equate my work with cheap knock off chrome plated Chinese pot metal, well...

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
bouldersmith wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:20am:
I have an interest in the top tang safety on these guns. Any information would be greatly appreciated in that regard.  I will try to post a picture of my action shortly.

Steve:

I too am looking for information on a top tang safety.  I am working with the full size action, but I expect that as the firing mechanism is of the same design in both that the safety will be as well.

Let me know if you come across something.  The images in the DeHass book are better than nothing, but good photos would be a real aid.

Best,

Glenn

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Bouldersmith & Glenn,

Gentlemen,

There is a whole chapter devoted to Daniel Fraser and his rifles in Jonathan Kirtons book, The British Falling Block Breechloading Rifle from 1865. Pages 217-245.

Unfortunately the only cross sectional drawings are that of Bouldersmiths rifle with the none-automatic trigger guard safety catch. 

There are a lot of interesting photographs of this action with both types of safety catch, rifle sights and stocking and carrying case styles.

It does appear however, that the action with the trigger guard safety, doesn't have an upper tang, whereas the version of the action that has the shotgun style safety, does have an upper tang

It you haven't already got this book it is a worthwhile investment.

Harry
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2010 at 3:33am by »  

IP Logged

bouldersmith

Reply #22 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Thanks again Harry. I have Kirkton and was familiar with his writing on these actions. The De Hass lead was really helpful.

Glenn,
        After reading what De Hass had to say about how the safety works and its Half cock safety feature, I think will go a slightly more standard route and forgo that little tid bit. As far as adding the Tang and safety, which in this case is a simple sear blocking safety, I am very familiar with this system from working on double shotguns. It is really very much like the tang safety on PD Farq actions.  Now all I need is some free time. Too many projects. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Harry:

Much obliged. I do have the Kirton book and it is a fine work. 

I had hoped for a faithful reproduction of the original design, but it looks like DeHass' work is as close as I am going to get for a pattern. 

Best regards,

Glenn

IP Logged

toolmkr

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
OK, now you have my interest. Does anyone know of any W.Field rifles being produced, do not believe I've ever heard or seen one. Please post here if any pictures or additional info is found. Thanks

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Field essentially made mostly actions but also complete rifles for the 'trade', and his Field falling block design was used by some of the big names of the Brit gun trade (like H&H, Gibbs, Lancaster, Greener, Bland, Purdey, Th. Turner, Rigby...).  While not having the 'sex appeal' of the Farq or Fraser, it is a very well-designed and engineered action, with very few components.  Essentially a sidelever falling block - very neat, compact and tidy.
This pic comes from the Greener book - a Greener match rifle built on this action:
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2010 at 1:12pm by MartiniBelgian »  
IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Fields patten in 22LR. whitey

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
If anyone wants more pictures just email me at  whanson@plainstel.com  Itried to load but ?????  Smiley Whitey

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
The other side. Whitey

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 3:22am
Print Post  
Whitey,

Yours is not the Falling block one though - you have the Field-Martini action on that rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint