Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Daniel Fraser & Co. c.1870-80 (Read 51873 times)
Spud
Senior Forum Member

Re: Daniel Fraser & Co. c.1870-80
Reply #30 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Toolmkr,
Here is a Military match rifle with the Field falling block action (made by Greener) in 500/450 No.2 that I am currently working with. As MartiniBelgian says it is a simple yet strong action and is very well made. Barrel has henry rifling and it shoots very nicely with PP.
Spud

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Apr 10th, 2010 at 3:22am:
Whitey,

Yours is not the Falling block one though - you have the Field-Martini action on that rifle.

Gert I know but just had to throw it in. Smiley

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #32 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Spud, more photos please, internals if possible, I like the way it looks Cool.
MIKE-T

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Mike-T,
Can't do at the moment as the rifle is away having some work done. Will send some at a later date. In the meantime have a look at the patent docs & diagrams on MartiniBelgian's site. Also some good photos & info in Kirton's chapter on the Field action (pgs 196-207) and Winfer's Vol.2 (Gibbs, pgs 152-153).
Spud

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Apr 11th, 2010 at 9:26am
Print Post  
You could call it the Brit Hiwall - except it is quite a bit simpler.  I would only make 2 modifications to it:
1. Separate (and weaker) trigger return spring
2. Modify for stock bolt
IMO, it wouldn't give up anything to any other action out there - lock time would be quite a bit faster than a Farq while being at least as solid - not so fast as a Martini maybe, but then again, not everyone is born equal...  Wink  Moreover, it is extremely simple construction-wise.  quite a few years ago there was a gent in SA (Karl Schlager) making replica's of these, but unfortunately he doesn't do so anymore - and I missed the chance of getting his last one.  Then again, I was young and poor then (now I 'm old and poor  Grin  )  And yes, the patent information is on my website.
Of course, Spud's rifle is extremely desireable as it is chambered in my all-time favorite round - the #2 Musket.  I now have 4 rifles chambered for this round, and every one of them has proven to be a tackdriver.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2010 at 3:29pm by MartiniBelgian »  
IP Logged

toolmkr

Reply #35 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 11:15am
Print Post  
MartiniB & Spud, Thanks for the pictures. Looking forward to seeing additional info posted. This action seems to be the best to copy with modifications. I believe all exact or very close copies should be so marked in a way so removal would be very noticeable, preventing fraud.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Send me a PM with your email, and I'll send some scans to you...

IP Logged

merle
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
His double rifles are plenty pricey.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Merle

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #38 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Spud thank you for all the info & photos you have already provided me, have been looking for my next winters project, had about settled on the De Haas round bolt single shot, modified to a striker action as the Gerfen SS rifle shown in the 2010 GD page 76. After seeing your Military Field falling block and the prints thanks to MartiniBelgian, I have reconsidered and when not casting bullets for this summer’s matches will start collecting up the scraps of hard wood and lexan/delrin etc to start putting together a working model right after Deer season, may try to incorporate a striker similar to the striker in the Gerfen.
Spud I do not have the books you mentioned for more Field info, reduced  everything I owned before my move from PA to northern MI a couple years ago to make weight, decided to keep my shop equipment, books were the next heaviest thing, so they had to be drastically reduced, had at least one of Winfer's excellent books, sadly  Cry it did not make the cut and was sold. 
As toolmkr said keep the info/photos coming, 
MIKE-T  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #39 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Mike-T & Toolmkr,
Happy to help out. Send me a PM with your email and when I get the Field back I'll photograph the major internals of the action and pass them on. Pity about those books MT...you can never have too many reference books! I'd be lost without my library.
Spud

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - May 9th, 2010 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Creedmoormatch,
I am new to this forum and as the Fraser is of much interest to me I thought I would ask if you are still seeking information. Please let me know?
There was quite a bit discussion about the complications of the Fraser and found my own thoughts to be quite to the oppisite. I believe one of the attributes of the Fraser id that it is not complicated. However this is opinion and to all there own.

LRF

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #41 - May 11th, 2010 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
With all this talk about Frasers lets not forget that the Ruger No 1 (and No 3) are basically the Fraser action turned into an underlever.

I'd say the No.1 is closer to the earlier Aston than to the Fraser but is most certainly neither one--that's why it has its own patent.

Karl
IP Logged

ResearchPress

Reply #42 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Resurrecting an old thread, but if there's still any interest in D. & J. Fraser I have a page on them on my web site. See: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

David

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:19am
Print Post  
David.  As a long range shooter, I've always found the information and history on your website to be enjoyable reads.  You have much time and energy invested and many thanks for the effort.  Bob

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #44 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:29am
Print Post  
For any of you that are interested in the Field's patent. Tom Oppel has a great article on one he built from a kit in the new Journal. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint