Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Bisley Model (martini action) (Read 43080 times)
Ken
Participating Member

Stevens Bisley Model (martini action)
Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:28am
Print Post  
I have a martini type action marked "Stevens Bisley Model" on the frame and has a J Stevens arms and Tool Co stamp on the barrel. I am not able to locate any information on this model when I tried to research it.  Can any one point me in the right direction.  I have someone asking to buy it and not a clue as to what a fair value would be.  TIA

IP Logged

moshannon

Re: Stevens Bisley Model (martini action)
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
That model is mentioned in one of Grants books. Not sure which, but I believe it is either More Single Shot Rifles or Still More Single Shot Rifles. I am at work now but can check later if someone else dosn't respond first.

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Ken,

Under the thread " Collecting Single Shots" we have been dicussing the Stevens Bisley. No one has answered back yet about it. The one at Kull Auction brought $1.050.00. I have no idea what it's value is other than what that one sold for. Maybe others can help.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
It's described by Grant in "Still More Single Shot Rifles" on pages 12 to 14 as the rarest Stevens.  Listed in Stevens' 1910-1911 English catalog. Apparently only 10 made. Value?  Considerably more than the $1050 auction price, but I'm a serious 22 shooter.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 1:56pm
Print Post  

Hi Mr. Ken:
                       I would like to personally welcome you to the ASSRA Forum and am delighted that your first posting is such an interesting and unique S.S. rifle.

There are a number of J. Stevens rifle collectors who are among us, and I feel certain they also will benefit from your posting and photo.

Your rifle appears to be in excellent condition and I was wondering if you would care to say more about it's performance as a "shooter"

Again, welcome and best wishes with your rifle.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Ken
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all that took the time to answer.   Would never have thought it might be that low a production.   I do not have Grants book, is it still available or has it been long out of print?
Although I have had the gun for a number of years I have never shot it.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2009 at 5:01pm by Ken »  
IP Logged

Ken
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Another viw of the barrel markings

IP Logged

Ken
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Proof Marks

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Hello Ken,

I may be well off the mark here, but the rifle looks very like one of the small BSA Martini actions made in the early 1900's. The 'Proof Marks' are British and the rifle would have to be 'Proved' either on construction in Britain or if it was imported here, prior to sale. It would be interesting to know if there are any other 'Bisley' survivors and if they too have British Proof Marks.

I note that there is a hole in the trigger guard for a sling swivel, Is that something found on other Stevens rifles?. It isn't at all unusual on British made Martini's

It wasn't uncommon in the late 1800's to early 1900's for manufacturers to 'buy in' actions from other makers, perhaps Stevens did this with the 'Bisley' model.

As the name 'Bisley' is of course synonymous with the famous English range of the same name the use of it may have been a bit 
of 'advertising' by the Stevens company.

Itwould be interesting to compare side by side this rifle against some of the BSA made actions of the period and do some elementary measuring up.

If only a handful of these rifles were constructed it's hardly likely that Stevens would have tooled up to manufacture such low numbers, so my 'bought in' theory may be correct. If nothing else it would certainly be worth stripping the action to see in there are any hidden markings.

On the tip of the fore end is a round object. If this unscrews there should be found inside a number of foresight inserts. This item was typically fitted to BSA series 12 and 12/15 rifles and is common on .22 British target rifles, but not, I believe, on American rifles. I'd be obliged if you could check out this item and report back. 

Comments please gentleman.

Harry
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2009 at 5:35pm by »  

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
I believe Still More Single Shot Rifles is available from Buffalo Arms.

According to this book, it was marketed in the Stevens catalog 1910-1911 (English Edition) as the Model #600. And in an article in the Feb 1969 Guns Magazine, a short paragraph spoke of how the 10 were outlawed from Bisley because they were too accurate.

You might definitly have a diamond there.

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

Ken
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
The action looks large to me, and my first thought was that it might have been a ex-military action that had been reworked.
There are a number of extra sight inserts in the brass container at the front of the forearm.

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Ken,

Definitely not ex-military.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Perhaps Harry or Fred could follow up on the "ruled off the field at Bisley" rumor.   

It is probably reasonable to assume that Stevens bought a dozen or so BSA actions and built rifles around them.  I believe Remington did the same thing in the 1920s.

Please spring for a couple of boxes of high-end ammo and tell us what the rifle will do from the bench at 50 & 100 yards.  To me, this is the most exciting rifle to be discussed in years.

Waterman

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I am looking at Harold Strong's book from 1993. Page 72 is as follows.

The STEVES-BISLEY MODEL. No.600. THE "MODELE DE LUXE" MINATURE TARGET RIFLE.
This model, specially made for the English market, has been brought out at the express wish of our many friends in the United Kingdom. It has the well-known "Martini" action,which is so easy to manipulate, especially when rapid firing. It is eligible for use in all competions for Military Miniature Rifles.
Weight- With 27-inch(Standard) barrel, 9 1/2 lbs.
Barrel-Half octagon, Stevens Match quality
Ammunition-Chamered and rifled for H.P.S King's Norton '22 Long Rifle Smokeless.
Action-Martini pattern, with under-lever ejector, case hardened and special finish.
Stock-specially selected oiled walnut stock and fore-end,well figured, neatly checkered, with horn cap to fore-end.
Sights-B.S.A Aperture rear sight with adjustable eye-cup and Micrometer Windage and Vertical adjustments. Combination Ring and Bead, Bead and Barleycorn, or Ring and Knife-edge fore sight.
Extras-Willesden or mail canvas covers, 7/6 each.  Patent slings, 3/6 each.      Price   L5 5s
This was a copy of page 17, I assume of the English Catalog
Hope this is useful information. I have never seen one yet. The picture is a little different than you photo but that would not be unusual for Stevens to have some variations on individual guns.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Hello Ken,

Thanks for being so prompt with your reply and picture of the foresight insert holder. Definately a BSA item as are, apparently, the front and rear sights.

Interestingly, mention of the rifle being made expressly for the use of 
H.P.S King's Norton '22 Long Rifle Smokeless ammunition is also revealing. Kings Norton is a suburb of the city of Birmingham (the home of BSA).  

The Kings Norton Metal and Ammunition Co (formed 1890) was a subsiduary of Kynoch. 

See :- (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

So we now have a rifle looking suspiciously like a BSA product, fitted with BSA sights front and rear and a BSA foresight insert holder. Proved in Birmingham, and the ammunition recommended for use in this rifle is also Birmingham made.

Would the fact that it is possible that the whole rifle was made in Birmingham effect the value? I think not, the association with Stevens and their address, makes this rifle (if the alleged numbers produced are correct) almost, if not quite, unique, and certainly worth a lot more than a similar BSA marked rifle of the same period.

If the rifle should prove to be BSA made, then you will have two sets of collectors wanting to relieve you of it. If your a young man, that rifle is your Old Age Pension investment

Does anyone know if the BSA Factory Records exist? It shouldn't be too difficult to run down a small order from Stevens.

As for checking out the Bisley 'Ban' rumour, I live at the opposite end of England I haven't been to Bisley since 1978 and I was pistol shooting at that time. I'm not in touch with anyone who may know either. However, Fred may know someone. It does appear to be a little rediculous that any rifle should be banned as 'too accurate', after all, the smallbore sport was set up to develope shooting skills and rifle accuracy. I wonder if it was a publicity stunt? American gun makers have done that sort of thing since the early days of Sam Colt. 

Harry
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2009 at 3:42am by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint