Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies)   $40 K Stevens/Pope @ Baltimore Show (Read 20824 times)
leadball
Ex Member

Re:    $40 K Stevens/Pope @ Baltimore Show
Reply #15 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
tim_S
           This is one of the questions about the Stevens Pope's that the new book should address, about all I can say is most of the rifles that I've seen were 52's, mine is a 51 #17XX.   I've been told that most of the rifles made while Harry was with Stevens were made on the 44 action. I"ve been waiting on this new book for several years.  leadbaall

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Ledball, Who is W Greatbatch and tell us more about his book? I am always in the market for a Stevens Book that I don't have yet.
I also shoot almost all of the guns that I have. I also drive my '57 T-Bird in a manner that scares the heck out of a lot of " collectors".

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I also was under the impression from reading Lucian Carey's writings, (and others) that Pope closely supervised the rifling of all barrels during his contract, and the assembly of guns with the Stevens-Pope markings. Never heard anything to indicate he actually did any of the work himself.

Ace,
I also shoot everything I own, but how much I shoot, and what I use them for is based on what they are. I don't own any worth $40-50k, but I do have a few that are precious to me. 
Those guns that are most valueable still see range time, but they don't see as much, and they don't go hunting. While most of the others get lots of range time, and often get out in the fall with me for a hunting trip.-Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
slumlord44;
                Warren Greatbatch was [is] a collector of singleshot rifles, who has taken on the task of writing about Harry Pope and the Stevens Pope rifles, Tom Rowe has been involved in getting this book to press--it is to have as many as possible of the present #'s of Pope rifles. Hopefully, it will be the best book on the subject to date.  I sold my "57 Bird" about fifteen years ago to finance this crazy singleshot rifle game.   leadball

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I can't afford a Steven's-Pope, but would love to read about them, any idea when the book will come out?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #20 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 2:44am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 24th, 2009 at 8:23pm:

Ace,
I also shoot everything I own, but how much I shoot, and what I use them for is based on what they are. I don't own any worth $40-50k, but I do have a few that are precious to me. 
-Vall

Vall, I just got to thinking, you might have more $40 - $50 K guns than you think if you have Cabelas sell them for you!  Grin  Wink

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #21 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Quote:
Joe, 
i will never have the money to own a $40,000.00 gun, but If I buy a gun, it isn't to look at, it is to shoot! I tried to CAS 1 1/2 times, my back is so bad, I couldn't finish the second one. But you didn't see me throwing my guns around like the folks do on the outdoor channel! They are way to serious for me! I couldn't believe how they would just throw there guns on a table to go to the next stage!
I love my Guns

Later Greg

The only thing that I really really like about CAS is the good looking women in them frilly dresses and smelling good when they go by. 

The rest of it they can keep.

Joe  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Anybody have any contact information for Mr. Rowe? This thread reminded me of the book and I have a couple serial #'s and at least one item he may find worthy of a photo.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 11:27am
Print Post  
tim_s wrote on Mar 25th, 2009 at 11:15am:
Anybody have any contact information for Mr. Rowe? This thread reminded me of the book and I have a couple serial #'s and at least one item he may find worthy of a photo.

Hello Tim,

I believe the Mr. Rowe you are looking for is the same gent that publishes all of Wal Winfers books on Single Shot Rifles. If I am correct then Mr Rowe can be contacted at :-

Tom Rowe, Editor/Publisher.

PO Box 370. Maynardville TN. 37807 . Tel. 423-992-4017

Fax  423-992-9640.

Good Luck,

Harry

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 11:27am
Print Post  

Let me add some additional information in connection with the $40 K Stevens/Pope rifle based on what our readers have contributed above.

The apparent owner of this fabulous rifle is named " Tony ", and he hails from North Carolina.  His table at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show, held at Timonium, Maryland was number " E-22 ".

In my conversation with this gentleman, he indicated that the rifle was a Steven No. 52, which he had recently acquired with several or more other Stevens target rifles.  I was interested in learning of the provenance of the $40 K rifle, but non was given at that meeting, which I understood at the time, since I was not a "prospective purchaser."

Tony showed me a photo album which contained a series of images of the rifle, so perhaps if any of our readers should personnaly know Tony, perhaps we can get some images put up on this forum for our collective viewing pleasure.

This piece was one of the highlights of my day.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 11:31am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ballard6

Re:    $40 K Stevens/Pope @ Baltimore Sh
Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Tom lives in Virginia now. KAF 's search site has his correct phone no.  Bob

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #27 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:09am
Print Post  
The correct contact Information for Tom Rowe is:

Tom Rowe
                       P.O. Box  20
                       Sugar Grove, VA  24735

Phone #            (276) 783 - 8037

The address is from the current Journal in the Archives. The phone number is a correction that I recieved and is the right number.

40 Rod

IP Logged

ssrifles
Senior Forum Member

Re:   $40 K Stevens/Pope @ Baltimore Show
Reply #28 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
hello everybody i am the one who owns the rifle in question here.First thing let me tell you it is a stevens pope special 44 1/2.It is a very early gun it will be in tom rowes upcoming book on harry pope guns.it is one of if not the finest engraved pope specials.next let me clear up something else,there was a misunderstanding somehow about the quantity made.i don't know but what was meant to be said is i have 4 other pope stevens for sale.all are in excellant to better shape complete with tools if it had them.i will be in tulsa and bring a couple there.i am not real good on a computer so don't expect much.
                             thanks tony <><

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Re:   $40 K Stevens/Pope @ Baltimore Show
Reply #29 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
SSrifles.....pm sent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint