Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies)   $40 K Stevens/Pope @ Baltimore Show (Read 20822 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

$40 K Stevens/Pope @ Baltimore Show
Mar 23rd, 2009 at 10:56am
Print Post  

For all of you fans of the Stevens M-44 1/2, of which I am just one of you, I had the pleasure of seeing an original extra fine Stevens/Pope Schuetzen rifle chambered in 32-40 made at the Hartford plant while H.M.Pope was employed there, which was offered at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show this past weekend.  It was priced at $40,000 and included a set of muzzel loading tools.

It was fully engraved and in excellent condition.  Should anyone here be interested, I happen to have the owner's business card and will pass that along.  No, I have no finder's fee arrangement with the gentleman !  I had thought about a "third mortgage" on the ranch, but decided "not at this time". 

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Re:    $40 K Stevens/Pope @ Baltimore Show
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
It must have been a beauty--would have been scared I'd scratch it at that kind of money!!!  Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I saw that gun as well. It was a looker. I don't think it was perfect but that kind of gave it even more character. It looked like it had actually been shot.

The guy selling it said that only 4 of that model were ever made.

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
MerwinBray wrote on Mar 23rd, 2009 at 6:08pm:

The guy selling it said that only 4 of that model were ever made.

Merwin

What model number was it?  Huh

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Westerner,

I don't recall if he even told me a number, I was pretty much absorbed in the gun itself. 

I do remember he said it was the top of the line Pope Special model. The Best offered by Stevens under Pope.

I asked if it was indeed made by Pope or one of the Pope models made by others at Stevens on the Pope system. 

The seller insisted it was indeed made by the man himself and that they only made four.

The engraving was absolutley spectacular.

I know I have seen in some of the old stevens reprint catalogs mention of the SPecial Pope maodel, I think it is called. Maybe this was it!

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
$40K, how much de mumphlies be on dat one?

fred

IP Logged

schuetzenguy

SCHUETZEN GUY

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
A friend of the owner who was watching the table at the show, gave incorrect information about the number of these guns made.  The actual owner will post corrected information within the next few days.

"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early"
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

acelungger
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I wished someone would of taken a pic of it and posted it. No doubt that the rifle is rare and AWESOME, I guess if you had a lot of cash that you didn't have anything to with, it would be nice to own! But I would have to shoot it! And like someone said, I would put a big scrath in it!
I saw a Henry at Tulsa last year $55,000.00 for that kind of money you could have 20 awesome shooting guns!
Do a lot of you guys own guns you don't shoot?

Later ACE

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Let me think, If I sold my whole gun collection and the '57 T-Bird, I could probably buy it. It is neat to look at these fine guns that I can't afford. Sure would like to trade my standard 44 1/2 .32-40 for that one.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a neat gun, and I hope the serial number was under around 1250, as most folks agree that any made above that number were actually barreled by Ross, but marked with the Pope name.
I wonder how anyone determined how many of a particular model were made with Stevens records being non-existent?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I talked to a big Stevens collector at the OGCA last week about the number of Stevens Pope rifles made and he said about 1800 total but, that Pope never actually make any of the rifles he just directed the work on rifles to about #1200 or so until his contract expired. The soon to be released book by W Greatbatch may answer some of our questions.   leadball

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I saw a Henry at Tulsa last year $55,000.00 for that kind of money you could have 20 awesome shooting guns!
Do a lot of you guys own guns you don't shoot?

Later ACE

I shoot all of my rifles.  Doesnt matter how old or expensive. They don't get neglected that way.   Smiley

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

acelungger
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Joe, 
i will never have the money to own a $40,000.00 gun, but If I buy a gun, it isn't to look at, it is to shoot! I tried to CAS 1 1/2 times, my back is so bad, I couldn't finish the second one. But you didn't see me throwing my guns around like the folks do on the outdoor channel! They are way to serious for me! I couldn't believe how they would just throw there guns on a table to go to the next stage!
I love my Guns

Later Greg

IP Logged

Brozbows

Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 1:40am
Print Post  
I know not everyone does this but nothing makes me more upset than seeing vintage guns, guitars and motorcycles bought up by people just put them in a showcase or just stored away. 

I once worked for a Harley dealership where the owner had about 18 vintage bikes from flatheads, knucks, pans and a few shovels. What was impressive was that they were all original; paint, matching serial #s, if a part was needed it was replaced by one of the same exact year etc... the sad part was they just sat in a garage gathering dust. 

I shoot all my vintage rifles too. I don't have any $40k rifles, guitars or bikes but if I did, I would certainly use them for what they were made for. If you treat them properly they will last generations.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2009 at 1:48am by Brozbows »  

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
I find this thread most interesting from a historical perspective. Might one of you folks venture a thought as to how many of that universe of 1800 possible Stevens Pope's might be model 52's?

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint