Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Strong Winchester Lo Wall ? (Read 44031 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Strong Winchester Lo Wall ?
Reply #60 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Bert,

I think T Hawk meant he has a centerfire breechblock to shoot centerfire ammunition in his low wall.  I doubt he was trying to shoot rimfire ammo with a centerfire breechblock.  

Joe.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2007 at 11:25am by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

t hawk
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Just to clear up a possible misunderstandng and mavbe an argument, my Low  Wall in 32Long RF came with both RF and CF falling blocks and I'm shooting 32Long Colt(not much better than the Long RF) with the CF block.  I think that I'm going to abandon the 32-40 effort and either rechamber in 32-20(I already have another LW in 32-20) or relign/rebore in 25-20WCF or 22Hornet(although I would think that the Hornet would be a bit too powerful also). 
I also have a HW in 42-80 that I would love to put an antique scope on. Does anyone know of a source for old rifle scopes and mounts?

Thanks for all of your inputs,
t hawk

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #62 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
t hawk,

It sounds almost like you have the old .32 low-wall I swapped off last Spring at the Chantilly, VA show when I couldn't live without a Maynard some guy had!  It had a fairly marginal bore but otherwise was pretty nice original...and the CF block was highly polished looking almost chromed.  Anyway, if I had kept it a little longer it would have been rechambered or relined to .32 Mag as per several discussions on this board.  Otherwise, it probably would have gotten a .25-20 WCF barrel/liner for playing quarter bore.  Anything in that caliber class would have been a lot of fun if there were just a few more hours in the day and days in the week so I could have found time to do it.  BTW, when I traded it off, there was an original Ideal .32 long Colt tong tool with built in mould included.  Somebody should actually be shooting that one by now! 

I did see a couple of Lyman 438s on flea-Bay recently if you want to go that route, or if you want to go a little "higher end," there are occasionally some TargetSpot Jrs listed on the same and other sources.  These, along with the smaller Unertls are my personal favorites for this action.

Hope you will enjoy yours, and stay in touch!

Froggie

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #63 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Just to clear up a possible misunderstandng and mavbe an argument, my Low  Wall in 32Long RF came with both RF and CF falling blocks and I'm shooting 32Long Colt(not much better than the Long RF) with the CF block.  I think that I'm going to abandon the 32-40 effort and either rechamber in 32-20(I already have another LW in 32-20) or relign/rebore in 25-20WCF or 22Hornet(although I would think that the Hornet would be a bit too powerful also). 
I also have a HW in 42-80 that I would love to put an antique scope on. Does anyone know of a source for old rifle scopes and mounts?

Thanks for all of your inputs,
t hawk

That cleared it up and answered my question. Either the 25-20 WCF or the 22 Hornet would work in your low-wall with a fresh liner.

Bert

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

t hawk
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Froggie,

Yes, I think that my 32L LW is your ex rifle. I picked it up last year at the Chantilly gun show. I thought that someone had nickeled/chromed the CF block a long time ago. I'd like to have it reblued. It is pretty accurate in 32L Colt(50yds). I have found a source for 32LRF and might convert to its original intent. Can't decide if its worth altering this antique.

Thanks for the info on the scopes,
t hawk

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #65 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
If the 32 Rimfire you are referring to is the Navy Arms stuff from South America, don't bother!  About half of it goes off and the other half isn't worth ..., even as plinking ammo.  I purchased five boxes directly from them 10 or 15 years ago when it was new, and I doubt it has improved with age.  The last decent 32 Rimfire I had was some Canadian ammunition that you used see occasionally at gun shows.  I have not seen any in quite some time.

IP Logged

t hawk
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 7:15am
Print Post  

Yes, the 32RF ammo that I found is the Brizillian made for Navy Arms but now sold by Old Western Scrounger. At $35 a box(50) I won't bother. I picked up a box of the canadian(Canuk) 32RF at a gun show but don't want to shoot it as its collectable '50s ammo. Guess I'll stick to 32Long Colt(CF), discontinued by Win in 1989, and probably have more luck finding at a gun show.

Thanks for the warning about the RF ammo,
t hawk

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #67 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
As you could probably tell from the tone of my previous post, I am still angry about the Navy Arms 32 Rimfire ammunition years later.  I have never before or since had NEW commercial ammo fail to fire.  Although I don't buy much factory ammo, I have consumed fair amounts of surplus Scandanavian stuff of various types that was 50 years old or more.  It is quite reliable!

When I was a small boy in the 1950's I remember watching a man shoot an 1870's or 80's Mauser at the range one day.  He was taking original period ammo out of metal lined boxes, wiping the green mold off it on the edge of the bench and shooting it.  It went off!

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #68 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 7:46am
Print Post  
1878, I too bought several boxes of the Navy Arms .32 RF ammo and have fired almost a whole box with nary a sign of a problem. Two or three years ago I bought a box of a well known brand of .17 HMR ammo to shoot in my Contender carbine. Out of that box 11 rounds failed to fire. 
Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint