Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Strong Winchester Lo Wall ? (Read 44036 times)
hst
Oldtimer

Re: Strong Winchester Lo Wall ?
Reply #30 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Wes:

My copy of COW shows the .30-30 Wesson as a straight taper. It shows the .30-40 Wesson as a BN case.

I agree with Bert on the safety issue. I would not chamber a low wall in .30-30 Wesson, but if I had one I would not worry about shooting it with low pressure loads. 

Glenn

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #31 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Ditto to what Glen and Bert said, with one modification.  I would contend that the Wesson #1 Long Range action and its equally rare variants is stronger than the low-wall, and probably on a par with the high-wall.  It is exceedingly rare in the original, but is getting more available by the day in the Steve Earle recreation.  That is one strong action!   Cool

Back to your original question, if you are determined to use a .30 cal bullet, why not use the smaller bore T-C version of .32-20 in your low-wall?  You obviously aren't looking for a powerhouse round to use in it.  If you are going strictly black powder, the .30-30 Wesson would probably be fine in your low-wall, but when the next guy to shoot it stuffs the case full of 4227, the results will be exciting to say the least!   Shocked

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

wesleyb
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
I APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSES.I WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE STRONGER THAN THE 32-20 BECAUSE SOME OF THE SHOOTERS AT THE LOCAL SILHUOTTE MATCH WERE HAVING TROUBLE KNOCKING DOWN THE RAMS WITH A 32-20 AND I JUST STUMBLED ACROSS THIS LOW WALL IN THIS CALIBER.AND ALSO YOU ARE CORRECT ON THE CALIBER IT IS A 30-40 WESSON,I MESSED UP AFTER LOOKING IN CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD TYPED THE WRONG ONE.I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS CALIBER BEFORE NOW.WES

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Here is my Lo Wall 30-30 Wesson.

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

wesleyb
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
THANKS FOR THE EYE CANDY,THATS A NICE RIFLE.DO YOU LOAD BLACK OR SMOKELESS.WES

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Wesleyb;
  So far I have only loaded Black (Swiss 3f) but was thinking of trying smokeless. This thread has convinced me to forget the smokeless and continue to enjoy the black that  I have been using. At least I know the action will not be stressed this way. Would be a shame to hurt it.

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #36 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
That is a pretty low wall Flatlander. I have one in Helm pattern, 32/40. Has had a bazillion smokeless rounds shot through it with no problems what so ever. I use a 170 Pope bullet and 14 gr 4227 no wad.   It's a joy to use with the access to the breech.   Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

wesleyb
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
FLATLANDER,THE GENTLMAN THAT I BOUGHT MY LOW WALL FROM HAD DIES AND 175 FORMED CASES WITH IT.A LITTLE OVER 100 WERE LOADED WITH 2 TYPES OF BULLETS.
1ST WAS 160 GRN RNFP WITH 12 GRNS OF 4227,
2ND WAS 125 GRN JACKETED SOFT POINTS WITH 12.9 GRNS OF 4227.
I WAS TOLD THAT HE HAD FIRED SEVERAL HUNDRED ROUNDS PREVIOUSLY.
AFTER READING THIS THREAD I LOOKED FOR STRESSMARKS ON THE RECIEVER AROUND THE BACK OF THE BREECH BLOCK AND I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING,AND THE BLOCK IS STILL TIGHT.DOES THIS LOAD SOUND TOO HOT ANYONE?IF SO,WHAT LOADS WOULD BE RECOMENDED?WES
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2007 at 7:44pm by »  

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Wesleyb;
  I had the same question when I first asked this forum. If you re-read this thread from the beginning you may come to the same conclusion I did and just stick to black (and cast lead.)  It is a fine propellant to work with and is surprisingly accurate. No worry on over-stressing this way as well. For me the benefits are not worth the risk. If you use smokeless and jacketed bullets I wish you and your lo-wall well.

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

wesleyb
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 7:59am
Print Post  
I'VE NEVER LOADED WITH BLACK POWDER.ARE THERE ANY DIFFERENCES IN LOADING PROCEEDURES?CAN YOU USE GOEX BLACK POWDER SUBTITUTE? WHERE DO YOU GET LOAD DATA?I HAVE SOME GOEX PINACLE FFG BLACK POWDER SUBTITUTE THAT I USE IN MY MUZZLE LOADER.WES

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
I have never used GOEX subs, however i can highly recommend Hog. 777 powder, i have used it in my gras 11mm rifle, if you want to learn about black powder buy a book on it, many available. Not hard to do, just different. Pyrodex is good, too, but needs to be compressed to shoot good-which is hard to do with bottleneck cases. Also it's corrosive, and you really can't leave a gun overnight without cleaning it, or it may be ruined(depends on the local huminty). 777 is not corrosive as far as i know,but black powder rifles need to be cleaned within 24 hours of shooting or you will start rusting, again depends on local area,out here in a desert i could leave a rifle for a week it's so dry at the moment, but not in the humid east coast.

IP Logged

wesleyb
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I HAVE THE LYMAN CAST BULLET MANUAL AND IT HAS LOTS OF LOADS BUT NONE FOR THE 30-40 WESSON. THE ONLY LOAD DATA THAT I HAVE CAME WITH THE RIFLE, AND I CAN'T FIND ANY OTHERS. I HAVE LOOKED TO FIND DIFFERENT LOADS BUT CAN HARDLY FIND ANYTHING MENTIONED ON IT.WHAT MANUAL WOULD YOU RECOMMEND? DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A SOURCE FOR ADDITIONAL DATA FOR THE 30-40 WESSON?ITS REALLY CLOSE TO THE 30-30 WESSON.THANKS WES

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #42 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 7:46am
Print Post  
wesleyb;
  Loading for Black Powder is completely different than loading for smokeless. With Black you are loading by volume, not weight (fill the case.) I would suggest you get and read (several times) a Black Powder Loading Manual(s). Mike Venterino, Steve Garbe, Paul Mathews, Croft Barker, and a host of others have all penned one or more. While most of them deal with the "Big Buffalo Cartridges," the principles are still the same for the smaller cases. You just need to fine tune from there. This will give you an idea of what you need to do as it is a different approach than just using smokeless. This is how I learned. My 2-cents worth.

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

wesleyb
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
THANKS FOR THE HELP,WES

IP Logged

Edward Malinowski
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I have a Winchester "High-Wall" NRA military musket in 22 lr.
Is it a high wall or a look-alike "high-wall"?
Ed Malinowski

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint