Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Strong Winchester Lo Wall ? (Read 43988 times)
Bert_H.

Re: Strong Winchester Lo Wall ?
Reply #15 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Quote:
What about the Schuetzen low walls? All were flare-side, but were any of them made in T/D?
Regards, Joe

Low-wall Schuetzens are almost as rare as Hens teeth... I have only seen two of them, one of them is owned by Gary Quinlan, and the other I had my hands on at the 2003 Las Vegas winter show. The latter was chambered for 32-40, and has a 30" No. 3 octagon barrel on it. It had a really high serial number, and was made using an undrilled & tapped Model 87 Winder Musket frame. Neither was a Takedown, and I very much doubt (at least right now) that any where made using the larger "flared-side" frame. If one does surface, the owner could easily claim it to be a "one-of-a-kind".

Bert

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #16 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 1:55am
Print Post  
OK, the results are in... and I must say that I was completely ignorant of the dimensional differences in the upper tangs Embarrassed

The upper tang on high-wall serial number 12302 measured .322" just behind the sear spring screw, and .200" at the bitter end of the tang.

The upper tang on low-wall serial number 14184 measured .255" just behind the sear spring screw, and .130" at the bitter end of the tang. These measurements are most definitely smaller than a high-wall of the same era, but are larger than the Second variation low-wall.

Both rifles have the second style sear spring screw (visible from the top of the frame, but threaded in from the bottom).

Here are a few pictures to fully illustrate the dimensional difference between the two frame types.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2007 at 11:10am by Bert_H. »  

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bert,
I was equally ignorant since I just 'assumed' that since the tang was smaller, then it was the same size as the later model. I no longer possess any of the earlier examples and so I'm grateful to you for providing the dimensions.

This dimensional difference is the primary reason that I'm inclined to accept the premise that the Winders are slightly stronger than the early paneled receivers. Really no way to prove that without actual blow-up tests, and the only action I'm prepared to sacrifice on the altar of curiousity is a flat-side one. So.............
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #18 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Hello Joe,

You are quite welcome. When I get some more free time, I will dismember one of my Second variation low-walls, measure it, and take pictures of it along side my First variation low-wall. I will also measure the overall width of the frame of each, and a Model 87 Winder. I do know that the upper tang on the Model 87 Winder is identical in size to the high-wall.

Bert

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
GOD and I love winchester walls..

..ttfn..grampa..

PS.. sometimes the green frog does to. but my illigitamit grandson back slides

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #20 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Yes, oh aged one, You are right on both counts.  I do love them 'walls, and I do backslide on my back side every now and again...but I (almost) always seem to make it back!  Cheesy

Anywhoo, I wanted to chime in on the low-wall tang discussion to say that I once had what turned out to be a first model low-wall butt stock that I tried using with my third model (Winder) receiver.  The result, as JD observed, was that the tang stood a bit above the wood...otherwise it was a perfect fit.  Of course if you try that with a butt stock from a second model, it will be too big through the opening for the wrist of the stock to meet the metal top and bottom, right?

Froggie

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Jan 17th, 2007 at 10:45pm:

Anywhoo, I wanted to chime in on the low-wall tang discussion to say that I once had what turned out to be a first model low-wall butt stock that I tried using with my third model (Winder) receiver.  The result, as JD observed, was that the tang stood a bit above the wood...otherwise it was a perfect fit.

So, the missing metal is from the outside of the tang, and so making the wrist thinner?

Glenn

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #22 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 6:35am
Print Post  
"So, the missing metal is from the outside of the tang, and so making the wrist thinner? 

Glenn"

Yep, that's how it looked from here!   Shocked

Froggie

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
The 2nd model (flat-side) low walls have the bottom of the tang & frame cut down (up) slightly, from the outside. The tang, block, lever, trigger, tang screw and extractor are all shortened to match. The differences are not all that apparent on some of those parts but they exist nevertheless. The block from either a 1st or 3rd model (paneled) low wall, when used in a 2nd model (flat-side), will extend out of the bottom of the frame slightly. Wood from a 2nd model low wall will fit on a high wall but will be scant on both top & bottom. High wall wood will fit on a flat-side low wall but will stand proud of the metal top & bottom. Damaged high wall wood can sometimes be cut down for a low wall and thereby find a use for an otherwise unwanted piece.

The walls are like the ubiquitous small-block Chevy engine. Most everything will physically interchange & operate, but some combinations work much better than others.
HTH, Joe

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #24 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
OK,

Round two on the measurements...

The upper tang on low-wall serial number 80816 measured .220" at the rear edge of the sear spring screw block, and .110" at the bitter end of the tang. 

So, to sum it up;

1. The high-wall and Model 87 Winder Musket measured .322/.200"

2. The First variation low-wall measured .255/.130"

3. The Second variation low-wall measured .220/.110"

Conclusion... three completely different sizes on the upper tangs.

IP Logged

wesleyb
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
I WOULD LIKE TO ASK FOR OPINIONS ON MY LOW WALL,ESPECIALLY FROM BERT THE WINCHESTER EXPERT.
I HAVE A WIN.LOW WALL WITH AN 838XX #,ORIGINALLY IN 32-20.
IT NOW HAS ANOTHER BARREL THE SAME SPECS AS THE ORIGINAL CHAMBERED IN 30-30 WESSON.
MY QUESTION IS DO YOU THINK THIS CHAMBERING IS TOO MUCH FOR THIS VINTAGE? I WAS TOLD MANUFACTURE WAS LATE 1888.THANKS WES
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2007 at 11:44pm by »  

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #26 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I WOULD LIKE TO ASK FOR OPINIONS ON MY LOW WALL,ESPECIALLY FROM BERT THE WINCHESTER EXPERT.
I HAVE A WIN.LOW WALL WITH AN 838XX #,ORIGINALLY IN 32-20.
IT NOW HAS ANOTHER BARREL THE SAME AS THE OTHER CHAMBERED IN 30-30 WESSON.
MY QUESTION IS DO YOU THINK THIS CHAMBER IS TOO MUCH FOR THIS VINTAGE? I WAS TOLD MANUFACTURE WAS LATE 1888.THANKS WES

Hello Wes,

If your low-wall is 83,800+, it was actually made in mid to late 1899. In my records I show serial number 83856 being received in the warehouse on July 29, 1899... your rifle will undoubtedly be very close to that date.

I am not familar with the 30-30 Wesson... what is the parent cartridge? If it a variant of the old 30-30 Winchester, then YES, it is WAY too much cartridge for the low-wall frame!

Bert

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Bert, 

The 30-30 Wesson is what you would have if you tapered a .357 Maximum case down to .30 caliber.  The dimensions are all but identical.

Glenn

IP Logged

wesleyb
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 7:56am
Print Post  
THANKS HST.
YES THIS CARTRIDGE IS FORMED FROM 357 MAXIMUM BRASS,BUT ITS BOTTLE NECKED NOT STRAIGHT TAPERED .IT LOOKS LIKE THE 32-20 BUT A LITTLE LARGER.YOU CAN FIND INFO IN CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD,UNDER OBSOLETECARTRIDGES.IT WAS CHAMBERED IN RIFLES @1880.WES

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #29 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Quote:
THANKS HST.
YES THIS CARTRIDGE IS FORMED FROM 357 MAXIMUM BRASS,BUT ITS BOTTLE NECKED NOT STRAIGHT TAPERED .IT LOOKS LIKE THE 32-20 BUT A LITTLE LARGER.YOU CAN FIND INFO IN CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD,UNDER OBSOLETECARTRIDGES.IT WAS CHAMBERED IN RIFLES @1880.WES

Thanks Glenn... strangely, I had never heard of it before this topic came up.

Wes,

Because the 30-30 Wesson is an 1880s era cartridge, if you load it to original specifications, it should not be a problem in your low-wall. I will assume that it is a relatively low-pressure cartridge, since it was chambered in the Frank Wesson single-shot rifles. Your low-wall is considerably stronger than any of the Frank Wesson rifles.

Bert
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:17am by Bert_H. »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint