Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Strong Winchester Lo Wall ? (Read 44032 times)
FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Re: Strong Winchester Lo Wall ?
Reply #45 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Ed, you have what appears to be an all original and correct Winchester Hiwall Winder Musket. It is equipped with a Krag rear sight, some but not all were ordered with this sight. Most had a Reciever sight that was mounted ob the flat side of the action and held in place with four screws. One thing out of the way is what appears to be a Palm Rest Base hanging out of the Forend just ahead of the reciever. This is not normally seen on Winder Muskets. Winchester however would build just about anything the customer wanted as long as it was safe. If that is an original Winchester Palm rest base inletted into the forend you have a rare oddity. It would be an interesting variation and would create a little more value if it looked on close examination to be a Factory installation. HTH,Regards, FITZ Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #46 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Or is it a sling swivel?    Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #47 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Ed,   

I have to slightly disagree with my friend FITZ on the sight.  That Krag sight was almost completely the standard sight for the second (high-wall) musket...the Lyman-made receiver sight that requires 4 holes in the receiver side wall was only found on the third model or low-wall version of the musket, IIRC.  I DO agree that whatever is hanging down from the fore end right in front of the lever is very unusual.  Maybe a closer picture of that, shot from the bottom, would be of help identifying it.

BTW, looking at the general shape of the fore end and the single, clip-retained barrel band, I'm guessing that is a coil spring action, right?  Just as a matter of curiosity, does the receiver have a Winchester proof marking stamped on top over the chamber?  I've seen them with and without this mark.  The web sling is a nice touch, and if original is a seldom seen accessory for this model.  Thanks for posting!

Froggie

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #48 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
PS to my last:  One of my many VA brethren who associates with those funny rifles from across the pond (the ones that are shaken, not stirred!  Grin ) suggested that the doodad in question might be for one of the British type sling swivels that looks kinda like a hook for a shower curtain...an open loop with a pointy end to fit through a hole in that little stud.  He suggested that one way you might be able to identify it as such is to note whether there are any British proof marks evident?

Froggie
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2007 at 9:06pm by Green_Frog »  

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Bulletin: old Winchester sling hardware looked much like this. Joe

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #50 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Well guy's on another look it begins to look to me like that may just a stud hanging out of the wall that the Rifle is hanging on to take the picture. The back end is not fully in the picture so cannot tell if there is another one back there. What we need is for Ed to take a picture of the bottom of the forend so we can really see what is going on there.
FITZ Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Edward Malinowski
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
My rifle doesn't have a stud in the forearm, sorry.
I didn't put a picture of my rifle because I have it set up with a vernier ladder rear and a globe front at this time.
The plan was to use it to practice offhand BPRC 22 Silhouette shooting. 
I found this picture on a Brit site while trying to confirm the type of rifle I have.
I always thought  that it was a " Highwall action" chambered to 22 LR and was called an NRA Winder Musket. 
After reading the articles in this thread and hearing rumors of Winchester not heat treating some 22 high-walls,
as they did the regular models I was concerned about the strength of my 22.  In the back of my mind at one time I thought of having it re-barrelled to 45/90 or something similar.

I am surprised at the low price of many originals as compared to repro's. I have a Win 73 in nice condition that probably wouldn't fetch 3/4 the price of a repro 73.

Thanks and sorry or the undue excitement.
The picture was borrowed from a UK site.

Ed Malinowski

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #52 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Hello Ed,

What you have there in the picture is an factory original Second variation high-wall Winder Musket. 

The Second variation Winder Muskets (WM) were authorized in December of 1911 (and as such, they are all coil-spring actions and will have the superposed WP (in oval) proofmark on the top of the frame ring and on the barrel just in front of the rear sight).

The barrel mounted rear sight is a Model 1901 Springfield Krag windgauge, and it was standard on all Second variation WMs. 

Production of the Second variation WM ran from December 1911 - early 1918 (serial range 111,000 - 122,000). The vast number of the early Second variation WMs were chambered for 22 LONG R., with the remaining few being chambered for 22 Short. Towards the end of the production, it was a 50/50 split between the two cartridge chamberings. There were at least two Second variation WMs that were made up as 25-20 W.C.F.  (centerfire), but they were not cataloged (special order).

Even though the Winder Musket frames were not heat treated, they are still exceptionally strong.

Out of curiosity, could you please post the website address that you found the pictured WM on?

Regards,
Bert

p.s. I have a considerable amount of researched data on all three Winder Musket variants
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2007 at 5:04pm by Bert_H. »  

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

Edward Malinowski
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
This is the sight and thanks for the info.

My serial # 119060
"A" behind screw.
WP in circle on receiver.
WP in circle on barrel.

Thanks again.
Ed Malinowski

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #54 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Quote:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
This is the sight and thanks for the info.

My serial # 119060
"A" behind screw.
WP in circle on receiver.
WP in circle on barrel.

Thanks again.
Ed Malinowski

Hello Ed,

Thank you kindly for the information and web address.

Your Second variation Winder Musket was made in the latter part of 1917. The sideways "A" behind the tang denotes that it is a coil-spring action. Winchester manufactured approximately 7,200 of the Second variation Winder Muskets.

Bert

IP Logged

t hawk
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.  I have a Low Wall in 32L RF and would like to reline/rebore to a better cartridge(collector value is minimal). It is a 2nd Model with a # 2 barrel and 1st Model CF block. I was planning on converting it to 32-40 until I discovered this forum discussing Low Wall strengths. In Madis's Winchester Book there are two Low Walls in 32-40 pictured so Winchester did produce them. I think that the key to going to 32-40 in smokeless is to shoot low velosity (1400fps is what most of the CA loads appear to be) loads that are similar to FL BP. Let me state that I'm not a reloader or a gun technician  I rely on picking up amunition for my collection of old Winchesters, Marlins and Colts from commercial loaders like Ten-X. etc. I hope to get into reloading down the road. Is 32-40 even in low velocity still chancy?
Thanks,  t hawk

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #56 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.  I have a Low Wall in 32L RF and would like to reline/rebore to a better cartridge(collector value is minimal). It is a 2nd Model with a # 2 barrel and 1st Model CF block. I was planning on converting it to 32-40 until I discovered this forum discussing Low Wall strengths. In Madis's Winchester Book there are two Low Walls in 32-40 pictured so Winchester did produce them. I think that the key to going to 32-40 in smokeless is to shoot low velosity (1400fps is what most of the CA loads appear to be) loads that are similar to FL BP. Let me state that I'm not a reloader or a gun technician  I rely on picking up amunition for my collection of old Winchesters, Marlins and Colts from commercial loaders like Ten-X. etc. I hope to get into reloading down the road. Is 32-40 even in low velocity still chancy?
Thanks,  t hawk

Madis' book is full of errors, and many of the Model 1885s he has pictured in his book are NOT factory original. 

Winchester never listed the low-wall as ever being available in 32-40, but apparently a very limited few may have been made up as a special order, using the early first variation (panel-sided frame with a special order no. 3 barrel). There were also a very limited number made up real late in production (Schuetzen configuration) using the Model 87 Winder Musket frame.  I personally do not recommend that a second variation low-wall frame ever be used for the 32-40 cartridge... regardless of what velocity/pressure that you load it to.

Out of curiousity, how did you get a first variation centerfire breech block to fit and function properly in a second variation rimfire? Does it still have a centerfire firing pin in the breech block?

Bert 

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #57 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
T hawk, 

We have some shooter's in the northwest who use the low wall chambered in 32/20.  This works out better with the small barrel shank.

They use 30 cal barrels with 10 inch twist to shoot the heavy bullets. 

This combination works out well. One shooter has been using his since I moved here in 88.    

As with any other shell the 32/20 can be double charged. 

I have a low wall in 32/40 that has had thousands of rounds of smokeless through it with no problems. 

If I do , ever rebarrel it, it will be a smaller shell. 25/20SS or 32/20.

I like the low wall better than the hi wall for match shooting only because of better access to the chamber.  

Joe.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2007 at 7:50pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
[quote author=Bert_H. link=1168686763/45#56 date=1170363534Out of curiousity, how did you get a first variation centerfire breech block to fit and function properly in a second variation rimfire? Does it still have a centerfire firing pin in the breech block?

Bert 
[/quote]

Bert, all wall CF breechblocks will fit & function fine in all wall frame sizes, ditto the RF ones. The only differences, besides the shaping of the top rear of the blocks, are the lengths top-to-bottom and the presence/absence of the holes for the coil mainspring. The only functional difference in the frames is the presence/absence of the machinings for the RF ejector spring and the coil-vs-flat mainsprings. IOW I've (temporarily) used the block from a high wall in a low wall & vice versa, also switched CF with RF blocks in the same frame. Have used flat-spring blocks with coil mainsprings by drilling two holes for the spring legs. The almost 100% parts exchanges that are permitted are one of the things that make the walls so great!
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #59 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Quote:

Bert, all wall CF breechblocks will fit & function fine in all wall frame sizes, ditto the RF ones. The only differences, besides the shaping of the top rear of the blocks, are the lengths top-to-bottom and the presence/absence of the holes for the coil mainspring. The only functional difference in the frames is the presence/absence of the machinings for the RF ejector spring and the coil-vs-flat mainsprings. IOW I've (temporarily) used the block from a high wall in a low wall & vice versa, also switched CF with RF blocks in the same frame. Have used flat-spring blocks with coil mainsprings by drilling two holes for the spring legs. The almost 100% parts exchanges that are permitted are one of the things that make the walls so great!
Regards, Joe

Hello Joe,

I am fully aware that almost all Model 1885 parts can be installed into any frame type (if you do not mind grossly ill-fitting parts).

I suppose that I did not properly phrase my question... What I was trying to ask, is how did he get a centerfire breech block to function properly in a rimfire rifle. T hawk stated that his rifle is a 32 Long rimfire  and it has a centerfire breech block installed in it. There is a a very important functional difference between a rimfire and a centerfire breech block... the location of the firing pin hole. Specifically, if you put a centerfire breech block and firing pin in a low-wall chambered for 32 Long RF, the firing pin will smack the cartridge dead center instead of on the rim... this is why I asked my original question.

Bert

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint