Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 24" or 26" barrel? (Read 3525 times)
AlanF
Participating Member

24" or 26" barrel?
Jun 11th, 2006 at 6:36am
Print Post  
What do you think guys?  Having an E.A.Brown 97D rifle built in 256 Win Mag and I am leaning towards a 26" barrel to get every fps possible from the case.  Is this too long and would a 24" barrel get top velocity from this case?  Going with a 12 twist.  Need advice.  Thanks.

Alan

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: 24" or 26" barrel?
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I have no experience with the 256 Win case, but I will say that short works fine for the .32-.357 breech seated in my Peregrine bench gun.  My barrel is about 25 1/2" (including chamber...24" from face of receiver) and is longer than needed.  IIRC, the running mate to this rifle, Charlie Dell's personal offhand rifle on the same barrel, action, and chambering, was bobbed off to only 22 or 24" total barrel length.  Charlie liked short, fat barrels.  How about it, "family?"  How long was that barrel?

Froggie

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Alan,   I seem to recall that most ammo is factory tested in 26" labratory barrels---but that may just be an accepted standard left from earlier years.  It is also probably geared more toward velocity and pressure standards than maxamizing accuracy.
 I think the modern theory is that short and fat is better accuracy-wise.  Most of the "modern" bench guns use short heavy stiff barrels.   Longer (and heavier) may be an advantage in burning heavy charges of Black powder with heavy bullets (and soaking up the recoil), but if youre using the selection on modern powders with light bullets available they are no advantage from that standpoint. 
Longer barrels will give you a longer sight radius-----if you are using iron sights.  A number of the offhand iron sight guys at Etna green seem to be using short fat barrels with "bloop tube" extensions for increased sight radius and balance.   If you are planning on using a modern scope, shorter will work fine 
Longer barrels do "look more traditional" on a single shot but that look was developed when the sport was 90% offhand and BP or BP-like powders were what was available. On the generally shorter single shot actions even a 24" barrel looks stubby.  I guess it sort of depends on what type of shooting you anticipate---and your personal preferences in appearance and balance.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2006 at 9:06pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Since the 256 Win Mag is a pistol case (necked down 357 Mag), I'd go short and fat like froggie says. A 24" barrel is more than adequate for this case but with short actions, it feels about right.

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Alan
In the 70s the benchrest guys went down to 18"short and stiff. My 222R Martini is 17.5 and dosn't know it is to short. you just need enough barrel to get all the powder burned.
Tom

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
The barrel length of the Dell Peregrine OH rifle is 22".

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint